What's new

The day is HERE!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
This weekend I head out to pick up my new wine/cigar cooler! :thumbsup:
I can't friggin' wait! The weather has recently cooled down nicely so the temps in the house have been down more than they have been for a while, so at least the 'gars won't go into shock. :wink:

If anyone's seen any good deals around lately please fill me in. National chains only unless you live in FL of course. :thumbsup:

65/65 here I come!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I am now the proud owner of the Haier BC112G 30 Bottle Wine Cooler.:clap: :clap:

It's sitting open for the moment and will remain so until tomorrow night. Gotta love the directions on this thing. Nothing on the outer box saying anything about keeping it upright. Open up the directions before plugging it in...and find the "if inadvertantly tipped past 45 degrees, stand upright and wait 24 hours before turning on..." Oops. :headroll: That, and there's a slight smell that I want to air out.

Now...does anyone have any experience with this particular model? There's this strange plastic cover on top of the compressor that says "do not remove". Funny thing is, it really LOOKS like it should be removed. Any thoughts?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Congrats Jason and I know it'll be smooth sailing from now on! Atleast when it comes to temperature, I'm not sure it will be smooth sailing for you CC...OUCH!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Congratulations man! You will now be abel to relax in confidence that your smokes are always going to be safe.:thumbsup:

Why do you say it looks like it should be removed? Weird.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It's just weird Todd, I'll have to take a pic or something. It's just this molded, flimsy plastic piece that looks like it was stuck there for shipping or something....just can't figure out what the heck it would be for.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow I checked out the new purchase. I think I'll wait and see how you like this I live in Phoenix,AZ and need one to keep my smokes cool. I can't afford to cool my house to 65 or even 70 degrees in the summer. How will you humidify?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Searcher, this is a tried and true Wine cooler in the online-cigar community. I went with it after reading plenty of others' stories. Humidity will be provided by beads from Heartfelt Industries. I have a pretty decent amount right now, but will probably need to get some more. That and some trays for sure. My house stays at 76-71 degrees (71 now that the temps have started dropping). Not only can I not afford to go lower, the wife would never allow it. :headroll: Lowes had a good price on this as well. I want to say 269 or so. Didn't find it anywhere cheaper on the net after a brief search (after considering shipping). I'll get some pics up once I've got it going.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Hey Jason good luck with the new cooler! This got me thinking if these coolers could be used for both cigars and red wines at the same time. Any clue? Could there be problems affecting either one?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You know JC, I don't know. I have three bottles of reds in the bottom tray and plan on filling a few more slots. At least for now, it'll be both a wine and cigar cooler. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the smell of the cedar and cigars might be able to seep through the cork at some point??? I really have no idea.

Overhudified the damn thing though.:closedmou Keeps going from the low to mid 60%'s all the way up to the 80%'s!!! I have three of those Oust fans going and I've pulled a bunch of the beads out that seem saturated. I'm going to try and get some of the beads dried out and put back in to see how it works out. Not really happy with the fluctuations at this point...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the Haier HVR035BLW 35 Bottle Reserve Series Wine Cellar with Solid Wood Racks and I love it! It has always kept perfect humidity. I was going to use beads but I put a floral block in a tupper ware container untill I got the beads and it kept such perfect humidity that I just left it. Why fool with what works.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Once the compressor cycles on it takes about 5-6 minutes for the RH to drop about 10 percent, then another 15-20 FRICKIN' minutes to get back to where it was! I haven't been able to track how many times this is happening over any real period of time, but that's certainly not "steady" in my book...

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
*A guide's voice* And here we have a male specimen in his natural habitat. He seems worried about his kid...errr....mood swings...errr...RH swings. Tune in next time for the saga of Jason's New Humi!!!! */A guide's voice*