What's new

The day is HERE!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use a temp controll unit set at 72 degrees. It hardly ever comes on, only in the hottest days of summer. The RH swings never effect the RH of the cigars.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
sli38 said:
I use a temp controll unit set at 72 degrees. It hardly ever comes on, only in the hottest days of summer. The RH swings never effect the RH of the cigars.
How about some more info on that temp control unit? Thanks!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Still 10 degree swings. But I've been in and out of it quite a bit. Need to leave it alone. Still over humidified according to my hygros, but the sticks are smoking well...so....

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Still no frickin' change. Humidity jumps 11 percent from the low to the high during the day (based on the hygro's memory, haven't sat and watched it during a cycle recently).

As to the amount of cedar Todd: 3 cabs of varying sizes, 1 all cedar NC "cab", 1 other NC box, also cedar, and a couple of DBs...plus a number of cedar dividers from past NC boxes. There's quite a bit of cedar in there. I'm still going to add some more in the form of cedar shelves, but I haven't gotten around to that as of yet. Anybody know of anybody that does that sort of thing? Viper? I can get some sheets of the stuff, cut it and drill it for ventilation, but if it's not overly expensive I wouldn't mind picking up some nicer looking, true shelves.

I don't really get why the humidity is so high, other than the fact that I guess the seal is so tight on a wine cooler. I have hardly any humidification in there right now as half of my beads are out of the cooler drying out...who know's...maybe that's the problem. I have quite a bit in a cedar tray that I completely dried out just to soak stuff up, but if it's doing that, it's doing it very slowly.

'Gars are still smoking just fine so I'm not too worried for the moment, but it is aggravating having the Humdification jump all over the place as it is.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Hmm, maybe it's like a tupperdor when they get high, it takes forever for it to dissapate.

I would put those beads in the oven and dry them out for awhile and then slide them in there to absorb it.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've got some completely dried out in there, drying the others (not in the oven...we'll see if my patience holds out on that one). I think you are probably correct. It's also amazing at the difference in humidity between top and bottom. I know someone said humid air rises, but this is a pretty dang tall cooler and just like my humi's, it's more humid at the bottom. And the only source of humidity (if you can call dry beads that) is in the middle. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the same problem with an old fridge that I converted. I just could not get the humidity down. Finally I put in a container of.....crap, i can't think of the name of it but it was kind of like cat litter made to absorb moisture from damp places. I got it at the hardware store. It was odorless and it worked great.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, I have no friggin' clue what the issue was unless it was just what you said earlier Todd, it was just taking time for the beads to soak up the excess. I pulled out a bunch that were in a stocking and poured them into a flat tupperware container to air out. The next day I put them back in (after they had dried some) and now I'm right around 65-70%. 5% swings...not bad at all.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yep, that's about what I was expecting. 5% doesn't bother me in the least. Now I just need to give it a bit more time to get down to the 63-68% range and I'll be set.

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Headbanger said:
Any updates here Jason ? I am looking at cabinets vs wine coolers.
Go with the wine cooler, they work great. If you need fans for inside use oust air freshener fans. I have two in my wine cooler.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Headbanger. I wish I had a more firm update, but the best I can say right now is that I think I've got too much room in the wine cooler. I absolutely love the ability to make sure the temp is where I want it. Unfortunately, right now, I'm having a terrible time with humidity. I only have somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80 cigars in there right now. One large tray with somewhere around 25, and a number of boxes mostly empty. I have almost 2 lbs (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less) of 65% beads spread throughout the cooler in mesh bags and tubes. However, at the top of the cooler the humidity runs from the low 60's to 70%. The next level down runs 3-4 percent higher. I just can't seem to get the humidity where it should be and I honestly have no idea why. I have 4 oust fans spread throughout as well. My assumption has been that I simply have too much room (i.e. not enough cigars) in the cooler and have been working to correct that (lol). Most others that I know with coolers have had no where near the problems I've been having.

If anyone with any experience has any thoughts please feel free to let me know. Other than stuffing it full of cigars, I'm out of thoughts. :dunno: