What's new

The Dreadidor, 1000+ capacity for under $200

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey everyone, this is a project I started about a month back or so. I kept tabs of the "build" on another forum but decided that Id transfer all that information here since I think BOTL is going to be my new internet hangout spot. So heres what I did...

Took a wal-mart "media cabinet" and turned it into a cabinet humidor!

Here you can see how I sealed the door

It came with one of those crappy cardboard backs so I replaced it with a 1/4" thick sheet of Oak, adds a real nice aroma

Around all the edges it is sealed with a clear and odorless sealent, its been sitting between 60%-62% for the past 2 weeks now. Id like to get it into more of the 63%-65% range but the current level of humidity isnt hurting anything.

Total cost of the build...
Cabinet- $109
Materials to make it "airtight"- $15
Oak sheet- $8
Kitty litter pearls for humidification- $8

Total cost- $140 approx.

I will be updating it in the future, kitty litter pearls will get swapped out eventually for something that doesnt take up so much space (twice as much kitty litter has to be used compared to HF beads to get the same results). Also I will be having somone build some shelves and a set of drawers on the bottom for singles.

Thanks for looking!

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Its going to take some time to fill but hopefully within the next year or so it will be completly stocked with boxes and singles.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yep thats a digital, although I have an analog in there that i actually check every 4-6 weeks or so that is without a doubt more accurate than the digital. But the digi is still only off by 2-3% or so.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The oak hasnt effected anything yet, Im a big wine drinker as well so I figured a little oak working its way into my sticks wouldnt bother me at all. Hell it might even be a welcomed addition especially when pairing.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The oak hasnt effected anything yet, Im a big wine drinker as well so I figured a little oak working its way into my sticks wouldnt bother me at all. Hell it might even be a welcomed addition especially when pairing.
I was going to ask about this too. I don't think it will effect the sticks until they've been in there for a while, like a year at minimum, more if they're in cedar boxes probably. And as you said, a bit of oakiness is not necessarily a bad thing! It sure works great for the La Aurora Barrel Aged :yes:

So yea, SWEET set-up, bro! I'm jealous, as I have no skills at all in that area. I'm more of an idea guy, so I see potential in stuff like that all the time, but I need a neighbor with skills or something, lol.

Some good sticks in there too! Love the LPs, and that looks like a really tiny vitola of the Decade, is that some kind of small perfecto or pc or something? I'm always looking for small-stick recommendations.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No skill really required for this one, its just a wal mart cabinet. The toughest thing was ripping down the Oak sheet to the right width since I didnt have a table saw I had to use a jigsaw and I dont have the most steady hands. Otherwise it was real easy to assemble. I was going to make my own cedar shelves and drawers but unfortunatly the cost of cedar in my area and on the web is just too high to justify the effort, it wont cost me much more at all to have a pro do it for me so I Im just going to go that route.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
No skill really required for this one, its just a wal mart cabinet. The toughest thing was ripping down the Oak sheet to the right width since I didnt have a table saw I had to use a jigsaw and I dont have the most steady hands. Otherwise it was real easy to assemble. I was going to make my own cedar shelves and drawers but unfortunatly the cost of cedar in my area and on the web is just too high to justify the effort, it wont cost me much more at all to have a pro do it for me so I Im just going to go that route.
or if you measure correctly, you can take the cardboard to home depot or lowes and have them cut the oak.

looks real nice!

what did you seal it with?

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
I like it! Please keep me updated on how consistent the temp and RH readings are throughout the cabinet.

Nice work