What's new

The evolution of Single Malts (Scotch)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK folks. I just spent my birthday coins on Bourbon, but since it seems to be a hot topic, and I do love me some scotch, what's the recommended progression when talking Single Malts for beginners.

Currently my favorite Scotch is a blend, JW Black. I've gone through a bottle of 10 year old Laphroaig but I didn't care for it nearly as much as the JW, but it wasn't bad. Probably because I went ahead and cheaped out for the 10 year, but who knows.

So, what's the best to start out with and how should one progress from there?

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I've tried several and my fav for the first round is Glenlivet 12 year old. I've tried a lot of others, and keep coming back to it...I like it straight, or with a single or maybe 2 ice cubes. If you are just starting out, cut it about 1/2 with water.

this message is brought to by your local BB drunk!

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I agree with starting out with a Highland. McCallan is considered by many to be one of the best of that grouping. It has sherry overtones because of the barrels that it is aged in. I’m not a big fan of the lowland scotches, so I can‘t make any suggestions there. Once you gain an appreciation for some of the Highland scotches, try a Speyside or one of the more mild Islays. These have more peat and deeper flavors in my opinion and seem more complex to my palate. :agreesmil

Randy’s right about adding some water at first. Maybe start with ½ water ½ scotch, then move toward less water. Soon you’ll be drinking it straight.

I’ve found that not all scotches go with all cigars. I can’t smoke a Padron X000 with Aberlour. :tongueout

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Guys, I drink JW Black with a couple of cubes of ice. You really think I need to start half and half with water on a single? Like I said, I didn't love the Islay, but I did finish the bottle. :wink:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
nice post, I don't know shit other than I am starting to like it

Oh and I use a few cubes like JW

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
So what's the most you guys have spent on a bottle? What's the average for the bottles listed above?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you're drinking and loving the JWBlack you shouldn't have any problem with a Highland. You still might want to add a 1/2 ounce of water just to open up the single malt. Because you like the JWB, you could go with a Lowland or a Campbelltown. The bottle of Springbank was about $55.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
The most I've spent so far is $135 on a 25yr Bowmore. The average is around $40 or $50. Believe it or not PA has some of the best prices around on SM Scotch and I don't know why. Everywhere I've looked in NJ it is always priced higher, very strange!

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
My wife bought me a bottle of 25 yr old McCallan a few years ago. It goes for about $295 to $325. Obviously this isn't my average Friday night snort..... I'm about half way through with the bottle now and make sure I crank the top closed very tightly each time!