What's new

The evolution of Single Malts (Scotch)

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
JW, if you did not think the Laphroaig was bad, then you may have an affinity for the Islay malts. The 10-year is a "love it or hate it" single malt. I love the raw, wild taste; many do not. I prefer it to the 15-year. If you want to try another very smooth Islay, go with Lagavulin 16-year. It is considered by many to be among the finest single malts available. Here is a good primer for single malts. You can find some excellent reviews and tasting notes, here.

OK folks. I just spent my birthday coins on Bourbon, but since it seems to be a hot topic, and I do love me some scotch, what's the recommended progression when talking Single Malts for beginners.

Currently my favorite Scotch is a blend, JW Black. I've gone through a bottle of 10 year old Laphroaig but I didn't care for it nearly as much as the JW, but it wasn't bad. Probably because I went ahead and cheaped out for the 10 year, but who knows.

So, what's the best to start out with and how should one progress from there?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
JW, if you did not think the Laphroaig was bad, then you may have an affinity for the Islay malts. The 10-year is a "love it or hate it" single malt. I love the raw, wild taste; many do not. I prefer it to the 15-year. If you want to try another very smooth Islay, go with Lagavulin 16-year. It is considered by many to be among the finest single malts available. here is a good primer for single malts. You can find some excellent reviews and tasting notes, here.
I'm with you Fox, I love it! Talisker too.

brainvictim

Whats going on over here?
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was in montreal 2 weeks ago, and stopped by the duty free shop on the way back, I picked up a 3 bottle box set of Macallans. Each bottle is about 1/2 liter, and it ran about $50. There is a Cask Strenght, a 10 Year, and a bottle that was distilled 1994 and bottled in 2004. I have only tried the 10 year and it was quite good, like stated before it has a slight taste of sherry to it.

You might also want to try the Isle of Jura, I had some a couple of months back, and it was good. I just don't recall how old it was.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
The lighter, Highland scotch brands are what I drink ( Aberlour, Balvenie, Dalwhinnie, GlenLivet, Macallan). I never liked the taste of the heavier, peaty Islay brands ( Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, Laphroaig). In fact, after my first dram of Lagavulin, I spent the next 5 minutes determined to find the skull and crossbones on the label.

You might also consider sampling Highland Park. I've read many good comments on this brand and was told it's midway between the Highland and Islay as far as flavors.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
. . .snip. . .In fact, after my first dram of Lagavulin, I spent the next 5 minutes determined to find the skull and crossbones on the label. . . snip . . .
:hysterica

You might also consider sampling Highland Park. I've read many good comments on this brand and was told it's midway between the Highland and Islay as far as flavors.
Highland Park 12-year is excellent and a very good value. I always have a bottle around for a change of pace.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Oh yeah. The New Hampshire state liqour stores. No tax. Used to hit them on the border with regularity when I lived in Boston. A great deal. They even started a campaign in Mass that they were goin gto take pictures of license plates

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Highland Park 12-year is excellent and a very good value. I always have a bottle around for a change of pace.
The Highland Park 18 year is an incredible Single Malt. I tried it a few weeks ago and just picked up a bottle on close-out in PA for $65. It's a real classic!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Oh yeah. The New Hampshire state liqour stores. No tax. Used to hit them on the border with regularity when I lived in Boston. A great deal. They even started a campaign in Mass that they were goin gto take pictures of license plates
Is it illegal to transport personal consumption liquor across state lines?

brainvictim

Whats going on over here?
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i think they are just going to do it at the state border liquor stores, all you would have to do is just keep driving a little bit farther.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Is it illegal to transport personal consumption liquor across state lines?
Mass wants its tax!! I used to buy everyting in New Hampshire, washers dryers furniture. No tax. Probably pisses off taxachuetts.