What's new

The Feral Flying Pig pre-release

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
The Feral Flying Pig – pre-release

This was gifted to me by JD at an event on Friday.

Appearance – a great looking smoke with a nice, dark, toothy wrapper

Construction – a very well made cigar with no soft spots to be found

Pre-light draw – a little spice on the lips with a hint of chocolate in the background. Draw was perfect.

Paired this with some coffee

First 1/3 – This one produced good smoke in the early stages. Burn started off perfectly, with a firm, light grey ash. A touch of white pepper mixed with some chocolate and leather. Medium in body, and full in flavor. The grayish ash held on strong almost through the first 1/3.

Second 1/3 – Still plumes of smoke from this wonderful stick. The white pepper is still present, but began to fade a little. Chocolate was still there too along with a sweet, almost creamy finish. Burn continued to stay sharp.

Third 1/3 – Not a lot changed in the final third flavor wise, but the white pepper did return again.

No touch-ups, or re-lights were required. Smoked to the nub and burnt my fingers. I would definitely say medium in body.

The Verdict – I really liked this cigar and can’t wait until they are released. How does it compare to the No.9 and T52 pigs? Well, not as good as the No.9 is right now, but probably as good as the T52. With that said, I was not a fan of either the 9 or 52 at release, and I really liked FFP! I can’t wait to see what a little time does for this stick.

JD and crew have a winner here for sure. Thanks for the opportunity to try such a fantastic stick, JD.

If I were to rate this, I was would say 90 - 92, with potential for more. Draw, burn, construction, and flavor were all top notch!

Last edited:

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Sounds awesome, Bill! Thanks for sharing your experience. Can't wait to try one when they come out.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Awesome review! Your description sounds like a young #9, but if you like it better than that, that's a good sign (I too much prefer them with age).

I felt the #9 Flying Pig was better then the regular #9 at release, and continued to improve. Sadly, I smoked my last one last week ;(. I'm hoping that these Ferals at least come close to the splendor of those beauties. I plan to get a box to put down if I'm able.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wonder how hard these are going to be to find. I can't get flying pigs anywhere in Michigan it seems like.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I believe both releases were quite wide spread and reasonably large. I think they were even on the shelves for quite a while but T52's were released a year ago august so not surprising they are tough to find.