What's new

The new boom?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
MichiganM said:
An Opus X Double Corona measures 7 5/8 x 49. It's a pretty hefty guy.
I dropped the seven. I stand corrected...:glassesgr still would be a fun smoke off

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
MichiganM said:
Yeah...but comparing a Opus X to a Mag 46 isn't fair. Mag 46 is your everyday cuban. Compare it to a CAO Brazilia on the non-cuban side. A Cuban version of an Opus X DC for example would be like a Cohiba Sublime. Regardless of how you feel about a cuban cigar's flavor, it's not apples to apples that way.
Ah, but therein lies the rub. To me, it is apples to apples. The three brands I quoted, with four years on them, are better, IMHO, than any Opus, Brazilia or other uber-premium NC I have ever smoked. And, give me a Mag 46 with even 1 or 2 years of age and I would say (almost) the same thing. I can get any of the above, RIGHT NOW! How many times have I read right on this board, the ridiculous prices of Opus-X, 1926's and even 1964's, all while our BOTL's also lament their lack of availability? To my palate (and pocket book :disappoin ), the super premiums are over priced in both markets, CC and NC; e.g. Sublime, EL, 1926, etc. However, again IMHO, there are many "everyday" Habanos that can compete with the very best super premiums from other lands once the CC's are aged for a couple of years.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Fox said:
Ah, but therein lies the rub. To me, it is apples to apples. The three brands I quoted, with four years on them, are better, IMHO, than any Opus, Brazilia or other uber-premium NC I have ever smoked. And, give me a Mag 46 with even 1 or 2 years of age and I would say (almost) the same thing. I can get any of the above, RIGHT NOW! How many times have I read right on this board, the ridiculous prices of Opus-X, 1926's and even 1964's, all while our BOTL's also lament their lack of availability? To my palate (and pocket book :disappoin ), the super premiums are over priced in both markets, CC and NC; e.g. Sublime, EL, 1926, etc. However, again IMHO, there are many "everyday" Habanos that can compete with the very best super premiums from other lands once the CC's are aged for a couple of years.
I completely and totally 100 percent agree with everything you just said. The uber-premium on both sides are overpriced. Yes, many "everyday" Habanos can definitely compete with the best super premiums from other lands once the cubans are aged sufficiently. And yes you can get the cubans right now, cheaper..and they'll more than likely taste as good or better, albeit differently. The only thing I was disagreeing with really was that you aren't comaring apples to apples. Yes, everything you said is very true and I think we definitely have similar palates. But saying "Aww man, why buy an Opus, when you can get a Bolivar PC box for like a hundred bucks???? And PLUS, it's cuban!! No brainer!"...to me would be just like saying "Why buy a box of Sublimes for like 5 or 6 hundred dollars when you can get a box of Onyx for like 60???".....I bet every one of you would be saying...ummmm Mr. poster those are in 2 totally different leagues...not apples to apples. Comparing that Sublime (premium) to an Onyx (non-premium) is just like comparing a Opus X (premium) to an "everyday" (non-premium). To me, it seems like it's a 2 way street, but it seems that most people think it's only 1 way. That's all I'm saying Fox. Other than the unfair comparison in premium vs non premium I wholeheartedly agree. On Cigarbid right now boxes of 64's are going for 250+..that makes no damn sense and I'd rather get a box of RyJ Ex 4's for 100 less.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
MichiganM said:
Yeah...but comparing a Opus X to a Mag 46 isn't fair. Mag 46 is your everyday cuban. Compare it to a CAO Brazilia on the non-cuban side. A Cuban version of an Opus X DC for example would be like a Cohiba Sublime. Regardless of how you feel about a cuban cigar's flavor, it's not apples to apples that way.
Comparing an Opus X DC to a Sublime is not apples to apples when we are comparing the flavors and complexity, period.

Dollar for dollar, IMNSHO, cubans cigars taste better, are more enjoyable, are more complex, and are all around more enjoyable...to me.

In NCs you have to go uber premium to even come close to 'everyday' cuban satisfaction and it isn't even al that close IMO.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Comparing an Opus X DC to a Sublime is not apples to apples when we are comparing the flavors and complexity, period.

Dollar for dollar, IMNSHO, cubans cigars taste better, are more enjoyable, are more complex, and are all around more enjoyable...to me.

In NCs you have to go uber premium to even come close to 'everyday' cuban satisfaction and it isn't even al that close IMO.
When you're making a comparison you must set up paramaters. Price and availability were the main comparison points noted earlier...not complexity. Trying to add in complexity is completely changing the subject. If you wanna compare things in a category you must stick to paramaters. Compare it to cars. You say I'd rather not buy an expensive domestic like a Ford GT when I can get just as much enjoyment out of a BMW 3-series import..for less money and no waiting list. Fine, but they're in different classes altogether. Compare your Ford GT to a Porsche 911 Turbo (both premium cars) and now you're talking. It's all about similar classes. Adding in complexity is an opininiated matter....what cigar has complexity varies from smoker to smoker and sometimes stick to stick within the same box. Price and availability are facts that can be argued with non-biased information. You just have to stick to similar paramaters when using this information.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Although, why pay for the Porsche (Opus) when you get better, IMO, performance from a Chevy (Juan Lopez #1). :dunno:
Better performance from a Chevy? Over a Porsche? I guess it all depends on what model. Those ZO6's are pretty bad ass.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Haha.....

Umm let's see Chevy's are typically cheap and affordable. A JL #1 is mid range at like 200 bucks a box....more like a umm BMW or a Cadillac.

:hysterica

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
cvm4 said:
Wow...never thought I'd see cigars being compared to cars :rofl:
Hey man when you think about cigars as much as I do you start comparing them to everything. I go to Outback and think hmm...this Filet would be like a BBF...but the Top Sirloin would be like a 8 month old Padron 3K. But the Top Sirloin is half the price...hmm choices choices.

:hysterica

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Ok, so compare that to a $200 a box NC.
If you're just comparing that to within itself.....as in only in it's field a 200 dollar a box NC is the extremely high end NC. A 200 dollar a box Cuban is middle of the field because there are many, many boxes of Cubans that fetch for well over 250. A 200 dollar a box NC would be like a Porsche...but that's only within it's own field. It's the Porsche of it's field. It's a premium. The JL isn't a premium in it's field...it'd be a BMW..a nice little everyday sedan, but a nice one nonetheless that can more than hold it's own against a non-turbo Porsche.

Haha, that shit gets complicated...it's giving me a headache.

:stickbeat

:headroll:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Well, I guess since it would require only a couple words it may be difficult. :hysterica

If you would have given me a box name, like say VSG Corona Gordas, I was going to ask you to compare the satisfaction YOU would receive from smoking each.

They both cost the same but are they equally satisfying to you?

They are the same size.

The JLs can be bought, with age, from any number of vendors at a decent price, ~$200.

Good luck finding any store anywhere in the country or online that could sell you a box of VSG Corona Gordas for anywhere near that if they even had them.

Just let go of the "VSGs are a premium NC and the JLs are a mid-range Cuban" for a minute.

Do you see my point? For the same amount of money the Cuban cigar is easier to get, cheaper, and almost everyone would agree is a more enjoyable cigar.