What's new

The passing of a true brother, this forum for me in a nutshell

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Granted I'm new, but the help and conversations between fellow members on there have been amazingly eye opening. Now on to my story:

I just finished one of my recent most enjoyable smokes, not because of the blend, although it's not bad, but rather the meaning behind it. Last Thursday, a very loyal customer of one of the cigar shops I work at lost his 3 year long battle with leukemia. Now Paul was definitely not a person who listened to authority or any guidelines, even during his last year of battle he smoked his favorite Punch Sesenta's by the box, it was his one true vice that he told me got him away from his ordeal for a short moment in time. I've only known Paul for about 6-8 weeks, I only work one day a week, but he always came in to chat and keep me company.

Paul had a habbit of grabbing the trash can and picking up for whoever was closing the store that night, when closing time came he would turn out all the signs and take the trash out for us. He told me one night 1 month ago after he found out his cancer was back and he had 1-3 months to live that doing the trash made him feel normal and gave him a feeling that he might not be as useless as he thought. I argued with him the first few times, as I knew his time was coming to an end but realized he was right and in the end it was his world and he was going to write it the way he wanted for the last few weeks.

Paul shared two if his cigars with me, one in the lounge one night, he was having a rough day and asked if I'd sit with him and smoke a cigar, we stayed after hours and I enjoyed it greatly, he then threw me another before leaving and told me to enjoy the golf course that weekend as he knew i was going up north to golf with a friend. Sadly the last cigar gifted by Paul to myself was the one I smoke today. Paul purchased a box of his favorite cigars and told the guys that he knew his time was going soon but wanted everyone to enjoy one last cigar on him after he passed. His funeral was this morning and the regulars have spent the day in small groups enjoying the last cigar gift from Paul while smiling and giving eachother shit about anything we could find, just as Paul wanted and enjoyed doing while up here.

I know this isn't technically the right area, but I will say this: Thinking about Paul today during the cigar, I realized he was much like this forum, giving until the last moment, and even after you think its over, he bombed us all from beyond. If you've read this all, I thank you from my heart, I only knew the man for 2 months, but his passing isn't any easier because of it. If anything I ask the next cigar you set flame to, think about this for no other reason than to thank those who pass on good gestures within this site as well as those who might not be on here, but do it now or in the past.

Without the fine guys like Paul and the rest on here, our passion for cigars would never have reached the level we are at now. Chasing the unicorns in the market is fun, but so is passing on your favorites to someone who may not know. In the end I see cigar culture driven by both, and damn does it make me smile knowing that I've got more to learn, and easily have a community ready to teach me.

Good day everyone, and thank you Paul

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
Wow, great post. Thx for sharing and sorry that you lost a friend. God bless him and his family.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The local shop I frequent almost had a similar story to this recently. One of our regulars, Vinny, had a seizure while driving home one night and crashed his truck. He got through the accident with minimal damage but they rushed him to the hospital to examine the reason behind his seizure. They found a blood clot in his brain and that he currently had bacterial menengitus(spelling?). They immediately put him into a medically induced coma and pumped him with antibiotics to try to get the infection out of his system. They were saying his chances of survival were slim to none at that point. Thankfully he recovered and is currently in the rehab station next to the hospital.

I am sad to hear for your loss, and I agree with you entirely. Sometimes there are regular people who influence your lives greatly. And these people need to be remembered in our hearts and minds. With that said I'll have my last smoke of the night in honor of Paul for ya. Comacho Triple Maduro (I don't have any punches).

In memory of those who have touched our lives and left too soon before their time,
Matt

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With that said I'll have my last smoke of the night in honor of Paul for ya. Comacho Triple Maduro (I don't have any punches).

In memory of those who have touched our lives and left too soon before their time,
Matt
Thanks Matt! We are taking one of the cigars and putting it into a shadow box to hang above his favorite seat in the lounge.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow wow wow, this was inspiring! Thanks you for sharing and very sorry yo hear about the loss. At least his memory was honored in a way that sounds like he would have wanted.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Thank you for posting this and I'm sorry for your loss. Believe it or not we lost a great friend at the shop I work at around 5pm today. He had been fighting breast cancer the last 2 years and it spread into his bones a few months ago. It's going to be very weird not seeing him in the lounge anymore.. Your timing with this post could not have been more perfect. Thanks for sharing man..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you for posting this and I'm sorry for your loss. Believe it or not we lost a great friend at the shop I work at around 5pm today. He had been fighting breast cancer the last 2 years and it spread into his bones a few months ago. It's going to be very weird not seeing him in the lounge anymore.. Your timing with this post could not have been more perfect. Thanks for sharing man..
Sorry to hear this, it's way too quiet in here right now. Paul used to come in every evening around 6:30/7 and stay till after close, just not the same now. Although the asshole in me decided to give him a scolding just a few minutes ago as I grabbed the same trashcan he used to pick up the back room everyday. I merely grabbed the trashcan and for some reason I just blurted out "fine Paul, since you wanna be a slacker today, I'll give you the day off", it made me chuckle and I know it's something he would absolutely be howling about right now.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
sorry for your loss, man. paul sounds like a true BOTL in spirit, using generosity and shared passion to make things better. although sorry i never met him, your story here ensures we all have a bit of him to carry on.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Sorry to hear of your loss brother. Great story and cool to see you and the other fellas get together and remember him in such a great way. You know that he was smiling down upon you guys and will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
We can only hope the same is said about us when we go. Sounds like a stand up guy and a true BOTL. I'll definitely make some time this week to smoke one for Paul...and better yet to hand one out for Paul :thumbsup:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We can only hope the same is said about us when we go. Sounds like a stand up guy and a true BOTL. I'll definitely make some time this week to smoke one for Paul...and better yet to hand one out for Paul :thumbsup:.

Dan
Thats the true BOTL spirit. I actually passed on a stick today to a regular just because of thinking about Paul.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss man I know how it is when you work in a shop and you see the same guys over and over everyday same time same seat and they stay with you to the end of the day.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Poignant is the only way to describe something like this. The story can be applied to many but for you it means more and should...what you received from him was a lesson we should all learn in life...life is precious and nothing is guaranteed and those we care about can be gone in a matter of months, days or even minutes. You gave him something that was important to him..honor and in life sometimes that's enough. As a tribute to somebody like Paul it might be a habit you get into by smoking his favorite cigars at closing time...where it's you and him.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
One of my best friends and a Botl is battling Leukemia now. A horrible disease. Next month he'll be trying a bone marrow transplant that's a 50/50 shot because it's the best shot he has. Check out bethematch.com to join the bone marrow registry. All it takes is a swab of your cheek, and they'll send you a do it yourself kit with paid return shipping. It might save someone's life. I'm sorry for your loss, brother.