What's new

The Ripe Stash

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Smoking 1.5yr aged stock is eye opening. This 40rg one was rolled 2/2016. My cherry bomb blend but replaced the corojo viso with Piloto cubano viso. Didn't think I could improve on that blend and I don't know what happened when I smoked the other rolls from this test batch or if I even did. I may well have given them all away. I get the same sweet cherries and cream with baking spices I typically do with the blend with an added layer of vanilla. This one is ugly as hell because I left the wrapper at case too long but doesn't affect my enjoyment in the least. This is killer. The complete blend for those who haven't memorized this one yet :
1 Ecuador habano seco (LO), 1 Dominican Piloto cubano viso (wlt), 1 criollo ligero (wlt), Dominican binder, Ecuadorian habano ligero wrapper.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bustin the big Maks Churchills outta stash today. Been waiting eagerly for these babies to come ripe...

Rolled last March, using a two barrel maple mold hand made by Slovenian farmer Maks Iforgethislastname. Filled with Dom seco, viso, & olor, bound with CT habano, wrapped in Mata Fina. The band is a pic of a pletna on lake Bled. (As in everything Slovenian, there are some superfluous "J"s in those names ... but I can't for the life of me determine where to put them.) Stashed in a gorgeous cedar My Father box, sealed up with a couple layers of cling wrap, then stuck in the giant marine cooler I use for stash. These should be terrific sticks. They were damn good going in.

I regret I am not MarcL or Bliss ... I woulda made them prettier.

So this morning I put a couple stix in the ready box to breathe a bit. See if I can hold off until the holiday to smoke one.

p.s. I am astonished this thread doesn't get more traffic. Doesn't everyone maintain a stash and get all excited to break out the well aged and long anticipated stashee?

p.p.s. How you like my new business cards?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Bustin the big Maks Churchills outta stash today. Been waiting eagerly for these babies to come ripe...

Rolled last March, using a two barrel maple mold hand made by Slovenian farmer Maks Iforgethislastname. Filled with Dom seco, viso, & olor, bound with CT habano, wrapped in Mata Fina. The band is a pic of a pletna on lake Bled. (As in everything Slovenian, there are some superfluous "J"s in those names ... but I can't for the life of me determine where to put them.) Stashed in a gorgeous cedar My Father box, sealed up with a couple layers of cling wrap, then stuck in the giant marine cooler I use for stash. These should be terrific sticks. They were damn good going in.

I regret I am not MarcL or Bliss ... I woulda made them prettier.

So this morning I put a couple stix in the ready box to breathe a bit. See if I can hold off until the holiday to smoke one.

p.s. I am astonished this thread doesn't get more traffic. Doesn't everyone maintain a stash and get all excited to break out the well aged and long anticipated stashee?

p.p.s. How you like my new business cards?
Those sticks look pretty dang good from here. That biz card is pretty sweet. I have read some good things on F.X. sticks. The video of the rolling machine is pretty cool.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Exhorbitant. But thanks.
Seems spendy on the surface, I certainly couldn't afford them, but considering the amount of time I suspect he has in them, he's certainly not overcharging or making a lot of money doing it. It looks like good craftsmanship and a good value for those who can afford it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Those sticks look pretty dang good from here. That biz card is pretty sweet. I have read some good things on F.X. sticks. The video of the rolling machine is pretty cool.
Yeah that's my vid. Only wish I could can the aroma of that factory. After a century rolling cigars in that building, the aroma soaked into the walls, floor, rafters is ambrosial.

PM me an addy, I'll bomb you some FX gars you can try.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah that's my vid. Only wish I could can the aroma of that factory. After a century rolling cigars in that building, the aroma soaked into the walls, floor, rafters is ambrosial.

PM me an addy, I'll bomb you some FX gars you can try.
The story on your website is neat. It mentions 100 years ago new technologies made the factory more productive. When was the machine in the video introduced? It is quite the machine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The story on your website is neat. It mentions 100 years ago new technologies made the factory more productive. When was the machine in the video introduced? It is quite the machine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That machine is over a century old. But it's not the oldest in the stable. There's a 125 year old stem stripper still working every day. Back in those days, we made machinery to last.

I'm looking forward to seeing Keith's mold making machinery.

Machines are magic.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8683.JPG

So for the stash I have a weather tight container from the container store. It holds humidity pretty well.
I am gonna drop the humidity down to 65 since Dominican warned me I was runnin high. I will order those Friday.
IMG_8688.JPG
I had 72% bovedas in there and it was holdin 70 pretty consistently. Unless I had some that needed more time in the dry box it would shoot up a bit.
At this rate I will fill this thing up and need to think of stepping up my game. I would like to plan ahead and I'm trying to keep practicing so I'm building up a decent stash now.
I can't wait to see how they are in a few months.

IMG_8682.JPG

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have zero homerolls in my stash. I have a total of 8 cigars in my possession, each of which are what I consider primo models of their vitola, mostly Cubans, some Nicaraguans.

I roll a few cigars every few days and then smoke them. During 5000+ rolls I've developed my style toward a very dry, ready-to-smoke stick, so this flow works for me. On gap days I saunter down to the B&M and buy sticks similar to what I roll, to remind me of what I'm "going up against." Last week that was Tatuaje and Undercrown CT robustos. Next week I'll be in Oklahoma City where I'll hit a couple of their huge cigar shops with awesome boutique selections for my daily smokes. Then I'll be in New Orleans where I'll spend most of five days in their cigar factories, smoking their sticks, mostly CT robustos.

I bunched and wrapped this last night, smoked it this morning after breakfast:

When I get home on November 5 I'll roll up a dozen sticks for the contest and mail'em out.