What's new

There can be only One..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so if you oculd only have one would it be a punch, v cutter, or straight cutter? I love the punch and the v cutter but know once and a while you might have aneed to use a straight cutter. I want to buy one cutter right now and gift the one the cigar shop gave me to my buddy that likes cigars as well.. Giving him a few sticks from what I have to get him started. ANd if you say v cutter how do the colibri and the xikar xv2 compare. I had bad experiences with colibri lighters in the past.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I like to have all those options, but if I could only have one it would be a straight cutter. Otherwise I'd be SOL for Belicosos and extra small RG cigars.

If you buy a V-cut, get the Colibri. I have the Xikar and it sucks (in my opinion).

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I like to have all those options, but if I could only have one it would be a straight cutter. Otherwise I'd be SOL for Belicosos and extra small RG cigars.

If you buy a V-cut, get the Colibri. I have the Xikar and it sucks (in my opinion).
+1 on the straight cut (sharp as heck is best)

Torpedos, belicosos, pigtails, lanceros, etc are hard with punches and v-cuts

I grab a new xikar (easily found from around 18$ on the auction sites for the xi2’s) every 6 months to keep a hella sharp blade on hand and couldn’t be happier.

P.S.- yes I know xikar has a lifetime warranty, but if I have to pay for shipping both ways it’s just easier to spend the 18$ for a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I would opt for the straight cut. V-cuts and punches work OK with some vitolas but a guillotine will work with everything.

In addition, there are many times I have started with a punch or V-cut and then had to give it a second (or third) cut with the guillotine because the cigar started to clog up. Most times, a straight cut is the only option at that point.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t had a bad draw from my colibri v cut yet, some torpedos get clogged up if I use a straight cut, the v cut seems to open even those up quite nicely.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
After two "failed" attempts, I received my Colibri V today and it cuts exactly how a V-cutter should. I may keep the 2nd attempt (the Xikar) for carry-on, but that first travesty will be in tomorrow's trash. :LOL:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For the many reasons already stated - straight cutter.

Between the two v-cutters, I would opt for the Xikar VX2. The Colibri cuts too deep unless you’re cutting >54 RG.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Palio by a wide margin.

first time I pinched my finger on a Xicar I promised I would never use one again.
My Palio is 6 years old and still sharp as heck,I will never switch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to pick one I would go with the straight cut for it's versatility. I do like a good V cut though. A guy at the B & M I frequent has a Colibri V cutter that he lets me use, it's awesome and I'll probably end up buying one at some point. I have a crappy generic V cutter, it's OK, but not nearly deep enough of a cut.