What's new

This years Habanero Plants 2016

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hi Mike, hate to drop the bomb but those aren't 7 pot Bubblegums. Here's a pick of what they look like (textured, brainy surface and a large caylax that bleeds red when ripe) View attachment 83022

I don't know if you care or not but I'll check and see if I have some of my original seeds. If I do and you want them, pm me your addy and I'll send them on down the line.

Ya my plant doesn't have the phenotype that has the red bleed. Posted that thought along with my pepper pod pix. I got my sample from cross country nursery so know it's a legit sample. Just because it doesn't have the red caylax doesn't mean it's not a bubblegum...just that my example/plant doesn't have that as a dominate gene. In the pix it's also hard to see the texture, it's there just subtle on most pods. At least that's how I look at it lol.

Thanks for the seed offer!

What types are you growing this year?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Another pepper update.

With temps hovering around 105 and flowers and fruit falling, I decided to put back up the shade tent I made last year. Really need to break down and get some real deal shade cloth but the king sized white sheet will work lol. Anyway all plants doing well with an avg of 20-25 pods on them (minus the Jamaican red and chocolate habanero plant). For whatever reason they just aren't growing like the others...oh well. I already have enough 7pot bubblegum slices pickling to last through the non pepper growing doldrums of nov-mar :)

Shade tent

Vegtrug plant shots

Jamaican reds growing but not as fast as the example did last year in the vegtrug. Only two pods on this one so far...wha wha whaaaaaa

The little plant that could...REGINAS red hots. Not as tall as the other plants because it came back from the dead. Like how it is a bush...but makes it a bit harder to snip the pods. This is a great example of a pod that has it all. Sweet, flavorful, hot up front that doesn't build or last long. A real winner imo. I hold onto the stems and eat them raw.

Two of the yellow primos got some color on them. Most of the have really elongated tails and are fun to look at.

Close up of the chocolate scorpions. A few have defined tails but most pods are looking like this one with tons of bumps.

The 7pot bubblegum tree ;). Close to 6' tall now and putting out pod after pod after pod!

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A few shots of my first chocolate Trinidad scorpion pod. I have grown the regular color variety for the past few years and comparatively these seem to have a smoker less floral flavor (no diesel fuel smell as well) but all the heat! I saved the seeds for next years grow...but am thinking that maybe before the next freeze in November to take a few cuttings from all of my plants to have something to piddle with inside :)

Sent from my iGarden

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Another pepper update.

With temps hovering around 105 and flowers and fruit falling, I decided to put back up the shade tent I made last year. Really need to break down and get some real deal shade cloth but the king sized white sheet will work lol. Anyway all plants doing well with an avg of 20-25 pods on them (minus the Jamaican red and chocolate habanero plant). For whatever reason they just aren't growing like the others...oh well. I already have enough 7pot bubblegum slices pickling to last through the non pepper growing doldrums of nov-mar :)

Shade tent

Vegtrug plant shots

Jamaican reds growing but not as fast as the example did last year in the vegtrug. Only two pods on this one so far...wha wha whaaaaaa

The little plant that could...REGINAS red hots. Not as tall as the other plants because it came back from the dead. Like how it is a bush...but makes it a bit harder to snip the pods. This is a great example of a pod that has it all. Sweet, flavorful, hot up front that doesn't build or last long. A real winner imo. I hold onto the stems and eat them raw.

Two of the yellow primos got some color on them. Most of the have really elongated tails and are fun to look at.

Close up of the chocolate scorpions. A few have defined tails but most pods are looking like this one with tons of bumps.

The 7pot bubblegum tree ;). Close to 6' tall now and putting out pod after pod after pod!

Sent from my iPad
I'm going to have to look for some Reginas Red seeds next year. They sound great.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Another pepper update.

Shade tent

Vegtrug plant shots

Sent from my iPad
@Mikes ,how do the Reginas Red Hots compare to the habaneros heat wise ?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@boltman

The REGINAS are in the habanero family which varies greatly from plant to plant and even pod to pod in heat intensity. So it is kinda hard to answer your question. As far as the habanero varieties I am grown are concerned...it is the least hot. Not much help I know lol. What I find unique or like about them is the sweeter floral smell, thicker skin which provides a crunch when you bite into them, and how the heat is right away...but doesn't continue to build to an insane level. I can hold the stem and munch on whole peppers at a sitting raw. If I tried that with the others I am growing I would be toast lol. The others get pickled in ring slices then that ring slice gets cut into smaller 1x1 cm pieces.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@boltman

The REGINAS are in the habanero family which varies greatly from plant to plant and even pod to pod in heat intensity. So it is kinda hard to answer your question. As far as the habanero varieties I am grown are concerned...it is the least hot. Not much help I know lol. What I find unique or like about them is the sweeter floral smell, thicker skin which provides a crunch when you bite into them, and how the heat is right away...but doesn't continue to build to an insane level. I can hold the stem and munch on whole peppers at a sitting raw. If I tried that with the others I am growing I would be toast lol. The others get pickled in ring slices then that ring slice gets cut into smaller 1x1 cm pieces.
I think I will grow some next season. They sound great.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Great info guys, this is my first attempt at growing scorpions...
I started with the canned kind someone got me from a grand canyon gift shop and thought they were duds so let it sit in my window for 4 months and somehow got a sprout.
Potted them and put them outside, forgot to water and they lost their leaves.
Now watering every day, leaves are coming back, and it's growing slowly despite 105 degree days.
Think there's any hope at all?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Great info guys, this is my first attempt at growing scorpions...
I started with the canned kind someone got me from a grand canyon gift shop and thought they were duds so let it sit in my window for 4 months and somehow got a sprout.
Potted them and put them outside, forgot to water and they lost their leaves.
Now watering every day, leaves are coming back, and it's growing slowly despite 105 degree days.
Think there's any hope at all?
If you keep them alive I think their I'd hope for a crop next season

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Time to try the Primo Yellows. Wicked crazy tails on these. Bright yellow coloring. Thin walled peppers with lots of placenta but little to no seeds. The smell when cut open was that of lighter fluid and a little fruit. The piece I munched was flavorful and had some heat upfront on the tastebuds, built a little and then slowly dissipated. Nothing like the chocolate scorpions I'm growing which is not for human consumption lol. Anyway another new to me pepper that will be enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@Lomey

Looks like everything got there in one piece! Post up your thoughts for sure not only on the peppers but maybe the cigars as well in the appropriate forum section. Nothing like a few 18 and under year old ccs as tag alongside :). Don't let those sticks sit they are ready as are the peppers. Smoke em....eat em.

Edit. The 7s are hoooooot as shit so be careful.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Update on the Reginas peppers @Mikes. My new favorite hot pepper! Great fruity flavor with quite a bit of heat, but not overpowering. My wife even loved it. I used it with some red and white onions and banana, pepperoncini and jalapeño peppers all out of my garden in my hash browns this morning.

Are these heirloom peppers so the seeds will be true next year?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@Lomey

I believe they are f8 stable plants. If they germinate you will get the same pod type and heat levels. Can't wait to see what u do with / think of the 7pots :)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well here we are almost in October in central Texas. The weather has cooled down and round number two of pods are maturing. Plant size in the vegtrug is about 3' over the top of my fence. Pod and blossom production is going bonkers. I'm using GH Tiger bloom once a week.

These pants have come a long way since the start of this Thread

Here's the REGINAS red hots plant that came back. It's all funkified looking but soooo loaded down. Bet there are 65 pods on there?

Here is a shot from the side showing the chocolate scorpion and yellow primo in the middle spot. Just huge in comparison to last years plants in the same container with the same soil mix and ferts. Lots o pods on theseas well. I have noticed some of the scorpions pods tend to start off fine but catch water in their folds and rot in that location. Love the bright yellow of the primos. I will grow these again for sure.

7 pot bubblegum in the front yard landscaping that came back from the previousseason is done growing and is like a small tree..6'x4'. It's loosing leaves and only has a few pods, but more flowers.

Sent from my iPad