What's new

Thoughts About Giant Ring Gauges

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I smoke a lot of big ring gauge cigars on the golf course. The La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Digger is an 8 1/2 x 60. I keep a box of those as they are well priced and can get me through 18 holes. But I am really not interested in a 70 ring gauge. That is just ridiculous.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
scrolled through replies thus far and a careless observation with zero analysis: seems that with few exceptions, most of those unopposed to big RG's have BOTL join dates of rather recent vintage.....doesn't reflect on their experience, knowledge or taste......so you can draw your own conclusions without regard to existence or accuracy of any relavent data
I feel a study coming on...

I've noticed a similar trend even in my local herf club. The newer guys don't mind the bigger RGs. The more they show up, the sooner they start heading to coronas and lanceros.

Is this a function of experience, or a function of group mentality?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
I would think group mentality plays a large roll. I was just at a local B&M enjoying a Papas Fritas and the discussion of large RG came up. The older smokers seemed to like the larger and there were a couple younger guys there that seemed to be following suite. The older smokers even mentioned making men out of them soon with certain (I believe larger) cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fall into the newcomer category. The MUWAT is one of my favorite smokes. I also happen to be 6'5" and 3 spins, so as appearances go, a large smoke doesn't look quite as large. And I've got a big mouth, so it does not feel uncomfortable at all.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Not a big Rg guy myself. Lanceros, Coronas and Lonsdales are right in my wheelhouse. And Petite Coronas are quickly becoming one of my faves. Like I always say to my wife, "it may not be long, but it sure is skinny".

KK33

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Is the tobacco in the large RG cigar of less quality than the smaller RG?

Based on simple math I calculated that if a 5x50 cigar costs $5, then a 5x60 would have to be just over $8. Based on what I see the typical difference between a 5x50 and a 6x60 is $1-$1.50. So if the tobacco is of the same quality then the company would be losing money making 6x60 cigars.

Is that the case?

Rene'
In a typical cigar (and there are always exceptions, of course), the cost difference of the tobacco between a Robusto and a larger size (say, Toro or Toro Grande) is negligible.
Now I understand. The majority of cost are probably in marketing, distribution, real estate and labor.

Although the cost of all the tobacco in the warehouses is a lot of money, for each cigar the extra leaf or two is just marginal.

Thanks, Rene'

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Not a fan of large RG. I stick between 38 - 48 most of the time. Can't really get into them, but they just keep getting bigger and bigger...CLE is doing a 80RG..mother of god.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like skinnier stuff and in fact am smoking a camacho machito as I type. Which is a 4 x 32 I think. That's on the small end for me.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
that asylum doesn't even look appealing. that's approaching burrito status.
What sorry excuse for burritos are you eating?!?!

(Living in the birthplace of the burrito, I find that statement offensive.)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

JEB

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that asylum doesn't even look appealing. that's approaching burrito status.
Burrito status!! Now that's a good one! A 6x80? Not a chance. I don't care if it was a supersonic rare Fuente smoke, blended with 15 yr old tobacco. Only 2 made, at $200 appeice, and I'm getting it for free. I'm gonna pass.