What's new

tighter sanctions on goods from Cuba

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this and haven't seen a thread on it here yet ,from the artical:

Americans will no longer be allowed to come back home with Cuban cigars, Cuban rum, or to stay in Cuban hotels, President Trump announced in a White House speech today. New U.S. sanctions leveled against Cuba have removed the permission for Americans traveling abroad to return with Cuba’s most famous exports, and also ban future U.S. travelers from staying at any government-owned hotels on the island—a restriction that essentially forces all future U.S. visitors to stay in Airbnb-style lodgings in private homes, since the Cuban state holds full or majority ownership in all Cuban hotels.

link to the article

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
what a crock of rubbish.
Yep. I get real sick of politicians (on both sides) doing things like this just to get votes.

I buy the vast majority of my cigars online anyways (which technically has never been legal) so I am hoping this will make no difference. As long as they don't start cracking down and sending the dreaded "love letters" again I should be fine.

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Personally I would hesitate to pass judgement on this being politically motivated. This is very similar to his response to other countries that either disproportionately impose regulations on us or have imposed regulations on their own country that aren’t conducive to our country maintaining trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In 2019 we had a 284 million dollar trade surplus with Cuba. Mainly chicken and grain. As of August of this year we have a 104 Million surplus with Cuba

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Yep. I get real sick of politicians (on both sides) doing things like this just to get votes.

I buy the vast majority of my cigars online anyways (which technically has never been legal) so I am hoping this will make no difference. As long as they don't start cracking down and sending the dreaded "love letters" again I should be fine.
Have anything arrive recently?

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Have anything arrive recently?
I had one shipment that was in transit just before this was announced and that made it to me OK.

I have a second shipment that was sent about two weeks ago that I have not seen yet but under normal circumstances it should arrive this week. I am waiting patiently.

I have a third shipment that was ordered Saturday night but has not shipped yet. We’ll see.

All three are from a vendor that guarantees delivery so I am not too worried about getting “the letter”

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one shipment that was in transit just before this was announced and that made it to me OK.

I have a second shipment that was sent about two weeks ago that I have not seen yet but under normal circumstances it should arrive this week. I am waiting patiently.

I have a third shipment that was ordered Saturday night but has not shipped yet. We’ll see.

All three are from a vendor that guarantees delivery so I am not too worried about getting “the letter”

I orderd my first CC'ss last month before this happened
Thanks for the info @Rupe keep us informed on the delivery (y)

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I orderd my first CC'ss last month before this happened
Thanks for the info @Rupe keep us informed on the delivery (y)
My second shipment (ordered after the most recent crackdown) arrived in two separate shipments. The first part came on Saturday and the rest arrived yesterday. So far no issues.

On another note, I see this must have worked as a political strategy. I read today that a certain candidate carried Florida, in part because of a nice boost from the Cuban expat community in Miami.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't think it'll have any impact on the grey market. They are still a communist regime, after all, cigars or not. Besides, most, if not all reputable sites are based in Hong Kong, Switzerland, or Australia. I see it as a non issue as far as our hobby is concerned.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My second shipment (ordered after the most recent crackdown) arrived in two separate shipments. The first part came on Saturday and the rest arrived yesterday. So far no issues.

On another note, I see this must have worked as a political strategy. I read today that a certain candidate carried Florida, in part because of a nice boost from the Cuban expat community in Miami.
You see this as a bad thing? Maybe I've read you wrong for years, but since I'm not the one to raise political issues, I see this as a major victory, and honestly, why is this political? Kennedy imposed the sanctions, and I concur. My own personal vices do not play into politics, believe it or not. I'm half a scumbag, but want the absolute best for the country. An oppressive regime 90 miles off our coast is not what I call paradise. To go further, anyone else that imports these cigars is half scumbag as well. Just trying to square your position is all. We are all cucumventing the law here.
(Importing illegal cigars by way of the USPS)
Not trying to start a pissing match at all.

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not much has changed in 60 years, may be time to try something different?
Maybe, but the sanctions need to stay in place, imo. Cuba could've easily been as rich as the Caymans, but they chose to be communist. ( Through no fault of the people there)Their people live in pretty dire conditions as evidenced by them taking to sea in anything that'll float to flee there. I have sympathy for the Cubans, as well as the Mexicans that walk hundreds of miles for a better life in America, but the immigration issue is a different debate all together. The people that made it safely here surely want to see the Castro regime punished any way possible. I'm for any immigrant that wants to come here, adopt our way of life, and be a proud waver of the Red, White, and Blue.

All this being said, I'm that scumbag that still imports these cigars on occasion. I'm just being real about the situation over there, and could easily live without anything grown on that island

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
You see this as a bad thing? Maybe I've read you wrong for years, but since I'm not the one to raise political issues, I see this as a major victory, and honestly, why is this political? Kennedy imposed the sanctions, and I concur. My own personal vices do not play into politics, believe it or not. I'm half a scumbag, but want the absolute best for the country. An oppressive regime 90 miles off our coast is not what I call paradise. To go further, anyone else that imports these cigars is half scumbag as well. Just trying to square your position is all. We are all cucumventing the law here.
(Importing illegal cigars by way of the USPS)
Not trying to start a pissing match at all.
I think we are in agreement. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing by any means and as you stated, I along with many others here have been circumventing the law for years.

I think what I have been trying to say is that I feel this was done for political purposes, not as a way to stand up to an oppressive regime. If that were the case then it would (and probably should) have been done 3 years ago, not weeks before the election.

In other words, I’m not disagreeing with the action, just cynically questioning the timing.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think we are in agreement. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing by any means and as you stated, I along with many others here have been circumventing the law for years.

I think what I have been trying to say is that I feel this was done for political purposes, not as a way to stand up to an oppressive regime. If that were the case then it would (and probably should) have been done 3 years ago, not weeks before the election.

In other words, I’m not disagreeing with the action, just cynically questioning the timing.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy
Gotcha. Re reading my first post, I sounded pretty angry. Not the case at all. I was a few drinks in.
No harm, no foul I hope.
From what I've read about the cuban community is south Florida, they seem to be solidly conservative overall.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
@redneck_toy
Maybe he should have sanctioned the Dutch?
Havent heard of anyone fleeing Aruba or St. Marten by any means possible, nor any nukes pointed NNW, and damn sure are not communist, but not up on the history of the Dutch West Indies. Only been to to Jamaica and Grand Cayman personally, both of which were BWI.

EDIT: Grand Cayman was the absolute prettiest, safest feeling foreign country I have ever visited. Highly recommended. Jamaica, not so much. They are in the top 10% of tourist countries for kidnapping. Beautiful island, but with a 16yo daughter(at the time of visit), and me being 160# soaking wet, did not feel comfortable while there. It's a pretty poor country. Felt the same way at Cozumel.

Last edited: