What's new

To Age Ligas or Not?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I think most people that like Nicaraguan cigars like that big pepper blast they find in them. And aging tends to take that away. Padron is unique in the fact that they aged the tobacco for years with the Anniversary cigars then roll the cigars with no additional aging needed. So an Anniversary Padron is usually best fresh out of the box, where the traditional line can benefit with some age.

Personally, I like the pepper blast to settle a bit with the full bodied Nicaraguan cigars, so I like to give them some downtime. I love some Tatuaje Cazadores around the 3 year mark, but my problem is the box rarely makes it 6 months.

It all comes down to personal preference anyway. If you want a full bodied Nicaraguan cigar at it's strongest, most peppery and full of nicotine, smoke em fresh. If you prefer it a little more toned down and want to enjoy the subtleties the cigar has to offer, then give it a year or two.
This IMO is spot on, I love the full body od Nicaraguan tobacco but not so much the pepper so a little rest goes a long way. I actually have a few #9 left over from that original deal that Tim did years ago. The bands are freakin yellow, I hope I haven't let them sit too long.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
I think most people that like Nicaraguan cigars like that big pepper blast they find in them. And aging tends to take that away. Padron is unique in the fact that they aged the tobacco for years with the Anniversary cigars then roll the cigars with no additional aging needed. So an Anniversary Padron is usually best fresh out of the box, where the traditional line can benefit with some age.

Personally, I like the pepper blast to settle a bit with the full bodied Nicaraguan cigars, so I like to give them some downtime. I love some Tatuaje Cazadores around the 3 year mark, but my problem is the box rarely makes it 6 months.

It all comes down to personal preference anyway. If you want a full bodied Nicaraguan cigar at it's strongest, most peppery and full of nicotine, smoke em fresh. If you prefer it a little more toned down and want to enjoy the subtleties the cigar has to offer, then give it a year or two.
This IMO is spot on, I love the full body od Nicaraguan tobacco but not so much the pepper so a little rest goes a long way. I actually have a few #9 left over from that original deal that Tim did years ago. The bands are freakin yellow, I hope I haven't let them sit too long.
Mike! You've waited too long. Send them to me and I'll send you some fresh ones!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just smoked a T52 Flying Pig that I have had in the box for nearly 2 years. Frankly it was "meh" and I loved these when they were still available. I smoked at least a dozen before I decided to "put one away" Shoulda smoked it when I bought it like I usually do... LOL :)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I just smoked a T52 Flying Pig that I have had in the box for nearly 2 years. Frankly it was "meh" and I loved these when they were still available. I smoked at least a dozen before I decided to "put one away" Shoulda smoked it when I bought it like I usually do... LOL :)
Smoked a couple last week and loved them. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I prefer my Ligas with some rest on them, especially FFP's. The exception to this is with No.9's, I can smoke them at any age, nearly any time of the day. I have an L40 from the first release batch that I'll be lighting up here soon to see how much difference age has had on them.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Might as well alienate this forum as well. The "aging" of non-Cuban cigars is a bunch of WHOOEY!! I believe it was Padron who said "who wants to buy a cigar today and wait 10 years to smoke it?" Opus is an exception. That being said : 6 months is resting, not aging
I disagree with you. I find aging NCs matter quite a bit, and yes, I am talking about more than 6 months. A lot of NC cigars benefit drastically from aging!

As for the Ligas, I find that the T52 is great fresh but even better with a year+

I will need to try a fresh #9 to make a decision on that, I have only had aged ones.

I also think there's not enough time on the FFPs to properly judge if they will benefit. I sure hope so, or else I better get to work on my stash!

All that being said, I prefer sweeter cigars that aren't super pepper heavy.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Everyone's taste is different so aging is a opinion best left to your own pallet.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Might as well alienate this forum as well. The "aging" of non-Cuban cigars is a bunch of WHOOEY!! I believe it was Padron who said "who wants to buy a cigar today and wait 10 years to smoke it?" Opus is an exception. That being said : 6 months is resting, not aging. I believe both are ready to smoke ROTT and extended resting has a tendency to make them lose that POP. They are still good, but they just seem to mellow and lose that wonderful flavor.
Why is it a bunch of whooey? Are CC and NC not both made from rolled up tobacco leaves? Or do CC have some sort of magic fairy dust sprinkled on them to make them capable of being aged? The Padron quote is a little iffy in support of the claim you're trying to make as it's been pointed out they age the tobacco in their Anniversary line before they're released. They're just taking the wait out of it for you. People have different tastes. Some will like a cigar ROTT, others like to let 'em rest for a little while, still others have the patience/stock to lay their cigars down for years at a time. It yields a different cigar when you age them (and yes I agree ageing is a longer process than most people use the word for) and sometimes that makes it better, other times not so much. This holds true for both CC and NC.

Dan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked a couple last week and loved them. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Outstanding! :cbig:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I guess I'm in the minority here. I actually prefer T52s and No. 9s fresh. I'm one of those guys who enjoy that pepper blast.

I smoked a Dirty Rat (my last one) awhile ago and it had been sitting for awhile. I definitely enjoyed them more when they were fresh.

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread! Haven't decided yet myself, but have several T52s, No. 9s, a Dirty Rat, a Feral Pig, and a bunch of Undercrowns "resting" in my humidor as we speak.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that liga 9 corona doble is listed as both 52 & 54 ring. Which is it? If this is not the correct thread to ask this question, please advise.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Warning, serious LP whore!!!!!!!

LPs = awesome fresh

LPs = awesome aged

Freshies are stronger with a bit more body, aged (18-months+) have more refined flavors, and more of them! If you like your #9s sweet, get ahold of some aged ones ... amazing. If you like the syrupiness and baking spices of the T52, those things come out even more with age. So it's a trade off, a preference thing, and I love both. Because of this, I have close to 100 of each at various levels of age. (Same goes for the Dirty Rat--mellows a bit with age, but the flavors are more "alive" too)

As far as size, my preference is Flying Pig, then Toro. But every size is great and I keep a few of each on hand when possible (note to self, out of #9 DCs, get some before spring!).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that liga 9 corona doble is listed as both 52 & 54 ring. Which is it? If this is not the correct thread to ask this question, please advise.
It's a 54.
Thanks Zen. I noticed that the online stores are out of stock on L9 & T52. Do you know if any of these places take back orders, or is it hit or miss? I'm really new to cigars but after all I've read about Ligas, I figure I'll go ahead and try them, if I can get more than 1 at a time.

Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I agree with Mickeymorris. I constantly "age" (in which i mean about a year to two years) NCs. The last batch I aged was a box of Padron 3000s, which really come into their own. I have a box of Bueso Genesis cooking right now.

I think what is the dif. is that I've always been told resting or aging maduro wrapper cigars was moot, seeing how the wrapper is "fixed". this I disagree with seeing how the filler and binder will mellow with time, and change with oils that will crystallize. thoughts?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
is it better to age cigars in the cellophane or without it?
this depends. I would shy away aging cigars naked that are not of the same blend, so they do not share flavors. when you age a cigar naked it will also "age faster" and more of the flavors will inter mix. I've found this most beneficial when aging a box of the same cigars in their cedar box.

edit: the cello/no cello debate has been pounded into an oblivion on most cigar fora. TBH, it comes down to personal prefrence. the major benefit is that the cigars will be protected with the cello, but its harder for them to release the ammonia particles due to the small amount of air around them. RH also plays a large role in aging.

this is all just an opinion from some dude on the internet, so take and leave what you like ;)