What's new

to all ye stout lovers...

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I paired the cigar and beer last night, took some notes and pictures and will post later tonight.

I must say Jeff, you handled this pairing very well :thumbsup:

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
So last night I decided to drink the Alpine Beer Company Captain stout with an Artero Fuente Work of Art Maduro.

The Beer:

At 5.5% ABV, ABC doesn't follow the latest trend in creating high alcohol Imperial Stouts with this brew, but rather stuck with the more traditional recipes.

The stout pours black with a thick blond head that is formed with large bubbles that leave ropes of angels lace while it's drunk. The foam almost sparkles as the big carbonated bubbles pop against the glass as you're drinking it.

The Cigar:

I'll have to admit, right from the start, that I am not a Fuente fan, however, this is one of their cigars that I've always enjoyed.

It's a dark perfecto that measures 4 7/8" with a 60 ring gauge and rolled with a nipple at the foot. The cigar is expertly rolled, and it's not a surprise that these cigars almost always draw perfectly, burn razor sharp and produce solid ash.

The Pairing:

The first tastes you get with this beer are rich oatmeal and almost sweet honey flavors, and then creamy cocoa with a slightly bitter finish. When pairing with the WOAM I found that the cigar was an excellent choice as their tastes certainly complemented each other. With the cigar, I get a very rich and sweet bread taste, almost like cookie dough, and the beer's oatmeal and cocoa flavors made this a very enjoyable pairing. While I can't say the cigar was very complex, I can say that it has flavors that I have enjoyed each and every time I've smoked one, and with this beer, maybe stouts in particular, I think this cigar would be a great choice.

I'd also like to thank Jeff for the excellent beer and cigar gift, as it was a pleasure to do this review.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't had a good stout in awhile, have to pick some up next time i'm out. Anybody have a favorite micro brew that might be available in the Midwest?