What's new

To each their own...

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I found myself sitting on the deck with a friend of the family the other day and we decided to partake in a cigar. As I snipped the cap of my Siglo II, the gentleman proceeded to ask me, as always, if I would like one of the Garcia Y Vegas from his humidor. I politely declined and listened as he told me how he has been smoking them for 30 years...4-5 a day.

During a lull in the conversation, I started to drift off wondering if the gentleman only knew what he was missing...how he could indulge in such an inferior cigar and seem so happy about it. Then it hit me...what had just run through my mind. "Happy"...he was completely content with this stick.

I then realized who am I to judge this gentleman on the cigar he enjoys. He is a Brother who shares the same love of the leaf only chooses a different stick than I do. It doesn't make him any better or any worse...it makes him a friend who shares the same hobby as I do.

As I was leaving, I offered him the other Siglo II I had in my 2 count cigar caddy but he politely declined. He thanked me for it and said that he had plenty of good sticks in his humidor that needed smoking.

Whether it be Cohiba EL's, Partagas, Padrons, or Garcia Y Vegas...you are always welcome to sit and have a smoke with me.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Attack Ted, attack!!!

:hysterica

Good on ya to realize that Dave :thumbsup: Smoke what you enjoy

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Very nice Dave! I've had a really hard time coming to terms with this in all my hobbies (coffee and wine especially). . . everyone's tastes are different!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Cliff ... :nono: :rofl:

Just gonna say that I appreciate fellows like this. He knows what he likes and doesn't care to explore other avenues. I had an uncle that only smoked Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco ... and I think George Burns only smoked El Producto cigars (for about 60 years).

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There's something to be said for finding something better though. . . I just can't imagine closing myself off to other opportunities

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
jasontp said:
There's something to be said for finding something better though. . . I just can't imagine closing myself off to other opportunities
I agree. Most of my fun comes from trying new things.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah seriously. . . I'm so glad I didn't stop trying Chardonnay after I found Kendall-Jackson I'm not even sure that I still like that stuff now

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
But that is what drives our hobby... Others are not like that, and that is fine.. I am not asking you to smoke or drink what i like, and i expect you to do the same...

But great post, it is always nice to have a little reminder of this

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Terrific post. I couldn't agree more. After 40,000+ GyV cigars, who are we to opine on the gentleman's preferences?:usaflag:

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Nice post Dave, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know about other guys here but if I smoked 4-5 a day for the rest of my life I'd be looking for a less expensive cigar than I currently smoke.

Puff13

Stogie Buster
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I totaly agree,i myself smoke a lot of cheap handmades and even JR'S Alt..im very content..i mean i do have some higher priced N/C'S in the humi for days like today ,but most what i smoke is affordable to me and it makes me happy...good thread...