What's new

Tobacco Sickness??

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was up at my local smoke shop this weekend and picked up my first La Gloria Cubana Serie R. (http://www.cigarworld.com/brands/lagloriacubana/lagloriacubana_index.cfm)

Everything was great. I watch the Yanks loose and I was enjoying the cigar. I have had other maduros and enjoyed them all. About halfway through the smoke I started to feel very strange. A lil shaky in the hands. I finished my coffee and drove home. I had to sit upright on the couch for about 2 -3 hours fighting the urge to toss my cookies:cryloud: . I never did puke and the feeling passed that night but I was dumbfounded.

I have been enjoying cigars for some time now and have never felt anything like this. I think I will lay off for a few days. Has anyone ever seen this before? It felt like I was 12 years old and trying a cig for the first time??????

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Fresh, few questions:
Had you eaten anything lately?
What size cigar? Was it a longer cigar than you tend to smoke?
Was this your first cigar of the day?

Any number of factors could have contributed, but the typical situation that causes this is smoking on an empty stomach. You could also have just got unlucky and got a cigar with an unusual amount of nicotine in it.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Sounds like it was a real power house!

Oh, and a more accurate term might be nicotine sickness.

I am vaguely familiar with what you encountered, but Headbanger can probably provide you with some intimate knowledge on the subject. :rofl:

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eaten - Check, but had been a few hours.
Size was yes a little larger than normal. I think it was a 60 and I stay in the 52 to 54 range.
Also it was the first of the day.

I enjoyed the first half which boggles my mind.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I smoked a rather large "La Flor Dominica Limatado II" this past summer that was ultra-strong and gave me nicotine sickness...and I actually DID toss my cookies.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was up at my local smoke shop this weekend and picked up my first La Gloria Cubana Serie R. (http://www.cigarworld.com/brands/lagloriacubana/lagloriacubana_index.cfm)

Everything was great. I watch the Yanks loose and I was enjoying the cigar. I have had other maduros and enjoyed them all. About halfway through the smoke I started to feel very strange. A lil shaky in the hands. I finished my coffee and drove home. I had to sit upright on the couch for about 2 -3 hours fighting the urge to toss my cookies:cryloud: . I never did puke and the feeling passed that night but I was dumbfounded.

I have been enjoying cigars for some time now and have never felt anything like this. I think I will lay off for a few days. Has anyone ever seen this before? It felt like I was 12 years old and trying a cig for the first time??????
I read this tip awhile ago on cigar aficionado's website to get rid of cigar sickness. TThey say the best thing to do is get a large spoonfull of sugar and wash it down with a glass of water. I have tried this several times after I have smoked some strong cigars and the feeling of sickness went away within 5 mins. I encourage everyone to try this!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Those cigars are very heavy in the nicotine. Since you had eaten a few hours earlier it might not have been enough for that powerhouse. It's a lot of tobacco that is nicotine rich. It has happened to me a couple times. Usually I force myself to eat and lay down for a bit and it goes away. I've also heard that sugar under the tongue works to help but I'm not sure that is really true.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cigars are very heavy in the nicotine. Since you had eaten a few hours earlier it might not have been enough for that powerhouse. It's a lot of tobacco that is nicotine rich. It has happened to me a couple times. Usually I force myself to eat and lay down for a bit and it goes away. I've also heard that sugar under the tongue works to help but I'm not sure that is really true.
The sugar really does work, I have no idea why though.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dude, all ya gotta do is lay down and enjoy the buzz!

Seriously, it feels like crap, doesn't it? You just got a serious nicotine trip!

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
You better send me all of your smokes so that doesn't happen again.

Seriously - the first time I had a Tat Cojonu 03 it kicked my ass about 2/3 through and I though I was going to start puking / hallucinating. I'm pretty sure that I didn't like feeling that way but I don't remember...

These days, I know what I can and can't smoke after not eating / drinking too much / shooting too much smack / whatever.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...La Gloria Cubana Serie R...

...About halfway through the smoke I started to feel very strange. A lil shaky in the hands. I finished my coffee and drove home. I had to sit upright on the couch for about 2 -3 hours fighting the urge to toss my cookies:cryloud: . I never did puke and the feeling passed that night but I was dumbfounded....

Nicotine buzz...cigar might have had a wee bit too much nicotine for you...you weren't inhaling were you? There's a quick fix for this for the occasional cigar that whacks at you...the moment you feel the shaky or queasy take a couple of teaspoons or a tablespoon of sugar..the sugar gets into your bloodstream immediately and counteracts the effect of the nicotine...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Ha.. brings back memories...

Freshman year of college, I went out drinking until like 3 in the morning woke up at 10 and sparked an Ashton VSG at like 10... holy crap, I dont know if I lasted 10 minutes into the smoke until i wanted to die...

It was the beer and the nicotine that did me in... damn it was horrible