What's new

Today’s Smoke - 2020

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Daruma Gold Mutante

@Old Smokey supplied this mighty fine stick.

It started off with a beautiful hickory smoke flavor. It reminded me of when my friend lived over a BBQ restaurant. On pay day I am going to see if the shop has any clearance boxes left.

Maybe don't smoke this after a breakfast of yogurt and peaches. Not completely full power, but a lot of smoke for early morning.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
So Mike, which one did you like the best?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So Mike, which one did you like the best?
I think the original Daruma was more in my wheelhouse. They were both good but the original had stronger flavors and better transitions. The habano wrapper also helped keep things a little more leathery and earthy.

The San Andres wrapper on the Gold didn't seem to hold up as well to age. It was still a great smoke, it just didn't make me say, "damn this is what cigar smoking is all about."

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I think the original Daruma was more in my wheelhouse. They were both good but the original had stronger flavors and better transitions. The habano wrapper also helped keep things a little more leathery and earthy.

The San Andres wrapper on the Gold didn't seem to hold up as well to age. It was still a great smoke, it just didn't make me say, "damn this is what cigar smoking is all about."

I agree. I prefer the original too.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree. I prefer the original too.
It actually has me wanting to try a Namakubi Ecuador. I have a theory that the difference between the Daruma and Daruma Gold is more than just the wrapper. I believe it is like the Liga Privada and Under Crown.

It was explained that DE couldn't buy just the leaves they wanted. They had to buy the whole plant. So, if they use the ligero from plant A in a No.9 they might use the seco in the UC to avoid wasting leaves. Plus you get to say the UC uses the same tobaccos, even if it isn't the same priming.

Now if I could smoke a Namakubi and a Namakubi Ecuador close together I would feel more justified in my thought process. They were marketed in the same way as the Daruma and Daruma Gold. They were marketed as the same tobacco with a different wrapper.