What's new

Today, I begin living again... A big THANK YOU to my brothers.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
First off, let me say that this probably won't be complete for a few days. I'm sure I will come back to edit this multiple times.

I wanted to take the time to say "Thank you" to everyone here. For everything. Your vast array of information has kept my mind busy, your humor has kept me laughing, and your general camaraderie has truly touched me.

The past 3 weeks or so have been hell. Mentally, emotionally, physically. Back in high school, I battled with depression for a couple years. Eventually I won that fight, and my life moved on into a great direction. About a month ago, my long time girlfriend left me unexpectedly. Out of the blue. Totally blindsided. You get the picture. This rocked my world in ways I couldn't have imagined before it happening. I was immediately brought back to the dark depths of depression. Cold. Numb. I stopped eating, I stopped sleeping. My grades dropped (lots of tests and papers in the past month). I began to drink heavily, and even started smoking cigarettes - not because I like cigs, but the nicotine felt good and in a twisted way, I liked the idea of inhaling poison.

I began to seek out help. I talked to family, friends, professors, and many other people. They were all helpful, but not to an extent that I needed. What I needed was closure. I needed the answers to the questions that have been racking my brain for 3 weeks now. Today... I finally found those answers. I still have a long road of recovery ahead of me, in terms of getting back to 100%. To being COMPLETELY over this. But, today was a HUGE step for me. And I couldn't have done it without you all. Everybody who helped me... I am so grateful for. My family, friends, everybody. Even strangers here on BOTL. Your ability to keep my mind busy, to keep me laughing, to keep me going is how I was able to eventually do what I needed to... to start living again.

So thank you, gentlemen, thank you.

Update 12/7/11:

Well, the past few days have been rocky. I've hit a metaphorical speedbump, and keep dwelling on the past. I've started to develop this fear of abandonment in a way. The idea that future relationships might be even more difficult because of this past one bothers me. I began to freak myself out about people forgetting me or abandoning me. Not the most rational thought process, but it happened. Today was beyond helpful. I'm still in a little rut, but I will get past it. Today was just the morale booster I needed. I woke up to a voicemail from my best friend (clearly intoxicated) just having an emotional rant about how I'm always there for him and how much it means to him... things like that. Then, a friend I haven't heard from in a long time contacted me out of the blue just to chat, and asked to start hanging out again. Later, got an email from my friend over in Afghanistan just checking up on me - wondering how things were going. And finally, I went to check on my humis today - and saw the bomb Speedbump (Derek) hit me with last week... and it brought a huge smile to my face. It's funny how life works. The fact that it all happened on the same day, at this particular time is amazing in itself. But, I'm also marveled by technology... the sense of friendship felt through such means. I never would have thought some of the best connections in my life would come through my cell phone or laptop. Once again, thank you to all of you. The sense of camaraderie here means a lot to me, as I'm sure it does to many others here.

Update 12/28/11:
Gentlemen, we made it. I won't say "I made it" because I certainly did not do it alone. Today I found out I made the Deans List for this semester. Apparently we rallied well enough to not let that couple weeks of screwing up hurt my grades too much. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That is great to hear. And any future or ongoing issues you have we will all be here, talking about the important as well as the unimportant. :ccowboy: Prayers are with you.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
sorry to hear, something like that really shifts your foundation. glad you are regaining your center. and KEEP REACHING OUT! use family, use friends, use people here. we have no identity in a vacuum, just in context, and it is too damned easy to turn your back.

and those cigarettes are bad for you! o)

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
glad to hear things are on the up for you. Keep talking through things. You will be surprised to find out a lot of people have battled similar demons. End this chapter of your life by smoking something good tonight!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey Bro, you have to just understand that their minds work totally differently than ours. And believe it or not, its better happening at your age now than 10+ years down the road. Everyone's gone through this in some way form and we're better off. I know its easy for us to say so but we've been through it and aren't in the situation so its easier looking from the outside. Like you've realized and or starting to realize, only time will make things better and believe me they will get better.

And dude, no cigarettes, smoke more Fausto's if you want Vitamin N. G1

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Sorry to hear things are so down for you, but it sounds like you're getting back on track. PM me if you need anything man...anything at all.

Dan

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks for all the kind words guys. To those of you who sent me PMs, I will respond at some point today. Yesterday was a busy day!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
These "moments of clarity" when you really start moving on will stick with you as life progresses - but they take effort to achieve. The fact that you are where you are is reflective of effort you've put out - so its a great accomplishment. Best wishes going forward!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
These "moments of clarity" when you really start moving on will stick with you as life progresses - but they take effort to achieve. The fact that you are where you are is reflective of effort you've put out - so its a great accomplishment. Best wishes going forward!
It definitely was a moment of clarity. I jokingly called it an epiphany to some people. It was just this eye opening moment that pulled a ton of weight off my shoulders. I'm just at square one now, but it's what I needed. I was at square zero before.

All PMs should have been responded to as well.

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
Been there done that...keep a clear head on your shoulders , don't let them get ya down
IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON....KEEP THE FAITH BROTHER

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Ahhh...your a good kid Alex!
I'm glad your seeing the light again kiddo. Trust me when I say it'll get better. We all go through these phases in life, feel lost, depressed, and uncertain of what lies ahead. The important thing is...keeping faith. I've seen the light in many dark times even through my twenties but had a really tough life in my teens. I believe to this day it help make me who I am and apprecaite what I have worked for. It helped make me a better man, father, and husband. The important thing is knowing you always have friends and family you can lean on when your heart is heavy. I thank our Lord everyday for getting me through some rough patches and help me rise above the things that tear a man down.
Just do your best and never give up...Trust me. :wink:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Really moved by your words, Alex.
Call it an epiphany, call it a blessing, call it whatever you want....The point is your life got shifted into another gear, and that is just awesome.
Very happy for you...Keep going!

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the update, really appreciated. Great to hear about all those things that happened to you today, and more importantly happy that you realized what a blessing that was/is. Its important to always recognize the good parts of life. I have to say that for all those people contacting you like that, you must be doing something right with your life for them to care like that. Continuing to pray for you.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Alex, I too am remembering you in prayer. I am glad that you see your true friends and that we can be a little help too. Take care and hang in there. Life will get better and better.