What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190505_141818.jpg

@gurgalunas I bought it from Glenns Creek and since they are a really new operation I would be surprised if it was aged much more then 6 months. Very small operation and they are trying to get product in the market to generate revenue. Not sure how long it would have been aged at MGP but I'm willing to bet it goes from the still to the truck pretty quickly. Can't remember the cost but I wouldn't have spent that much on it. I'll post up if I can find the receipt One of those "if you make a purchase the tasting is free" things. They took over the Old Crow Distillery south of Frankfort and out of sheer chance one of their products is called OCD!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190505_181552.jpg
Head to head I much prefer the IW Harper but the Fuma Em Corda really brought out the cherry and sweet fruit in the Johnny Drum. Kind of overwhelmed the Harper. As you might expect the wrapper is basically fireproof so start with a full lighter. Delicious cigar but requires a lot of attention.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Speaking of killing, this one didnt get to celebrate its 1 day anniversary. As the Grad party for my daughter was winding down, we cracked open the cabinet...
20190506_200504.jpg
My dad likes to text me pics from the Binnys, asking about bourbons on the shelf in IL. A lot are Craft stuff, but this one made me look twice. Bottled in CA, it's obviously sourced, and at 12 yrs for $50, worth a try. No real info on where its sourced from, but there are only a couple of possible places. I checked a few places, and similarities to Heaven Hill were reported. I agree. Reminds me a lot of the old Elijah Craig 12 yr from a few years back. I've already placed my order for another...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190506_184700.jpg
Head to head I think I preferred the Noah's Mill even though it was a bit medicinal. I thought the wheat in the MB Roland really dominated the other flavors. I smoked a My Father Le Bijou 1922 while tasting the whiskies. The cigar tamed the wheat and brought out the white corn in the MB Roland while the Noah's Mill lost the medicinal overtones and became more creamy and flat but it was a nice pairing.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Alright brothers, here are my first buys. Now which one to try first?

View attachment 135395
You picked great places to start. I probably would have started you with the BH, as it's an 80 proof bottle. Not that the BT is high proof, but usually it's best to introduce one with lower alcohol. Its so the burn, which takes some getting used to, isnt as much of a factor.

The BT is a great one, and budget friendly. What did you think?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
For those of you that appreciate Knob Creek SiB Store Picks, word on the street is that the private barrel program there will be discontinued for awhile. Apparently, they are running low enough on stock that they are stopping it. Any private barrels already scheduled are skto be honored, but we may see this terrific bourbon disappear for awhile...

So... if you know of a good bottle in a store, might be time to grab a couple...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New Riff and Padron TAA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting cutter. I have that same lighter too. I sold my hardly used Xikar Allume Single and bought that one. Its quickly become my go-to torch, outside of my soft flame. For the price and butane quantity it's a tough lighter to beat.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 135394
Head to head I think I preferred the Noah's Mill even though it was a bit medicinal. I thought the wheat in the MB Roland really dominated the other flavors. I smoked a My Father Le Bijou 1922 while tasting the whiskies. The cigar tamed the wheat and brought out the white corn in the MB Roland while the Noah's Mill lost the medicinal overtones and became more creamy and flat but it was a nice pairing.
Curious to see if you get a deep dark chocolate note with the Noah's Mill? That's the first thing I picked up on with mine. I rated it at 5 stars, which doesn't happen too often for me, the more bourbon I drink.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Curious to see if you get a deep dark chocolate note with the Noah's Mill? That's the first thing I picked up on with mine. I rated it at 5 stars, which doesn't happen too often for me, the more bourbon I drink.
Once the cigar muted the medicinal notes I found vanilla, oak and a palate sense of a rich cream that, when combined, could easily be described as dark chocolate. This was my first pour from the bottle and now that it's been opened I'm going to taste it again and see if the off notes are still there. It's probably just me but I find a higher proof bourbon needs a bit of air.