What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cracked the EC Barrel Proof tonight. Delicious, but man it has some heat when neat. I can't even imagine the heat on that 135.2 proof. :whistle:
I'm not sure if this advise will help or hurt you, but I find that barrel proof (even 144 proof GTS) drinks better in a Glencairn (or similar) then an old fashioned rocks glass. This might just be me, but I find the Rocks Glass makes for a hot experience. It is great for nosing, I'll give it that one. This is probably not the most popular form but it is the preferred one for the seasoned reviewers over at Breakingbourbon.com & The Bourbon Brothers over at YouTube

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not sure if this advise will help or hurt you, but I find that barrel proof (even 144 proof GTS) drinks better in a Glencairn (or similar) then an old fashioned rocks glass. This might just be me, but I find the Rocks Glass makes for a hot experience. It is great for nosing, I'll give it that one. This is probably not the most popular form but it is the preferred one for the seasoned reviewers over at Breakingbourbon.com
That's interesting I wonder if you just tend to take bigger "sips" with a rocks glass then with a Glencairn. The higher proof in a Glencairn tells you to take a smaller taste?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'm not sure if this advise will help or hurt you, but I find that barrel proof (even 144 proof GTS) drinks better in a Glencairn (or similar) then an old fashioned rocks glass. This might just be me, but I find the Rocks Glass makes for a hot experience. It is great for nosing, I'll give it that one. This is probably not the most popular form but it is the preferred one for the seasoned reviewers over at Breakingbourbon.com & The Bourbon Brothers over at YouTube
I've got a couple of them, I will give it a try with the next ECBF pour, thanks!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any better then before? I found mine to be too hot, and when adding water it was still pretty hot but muted the flavor. It could definitely stand to age another year or 2 in the cask, which would help. Anyone I talk to that’s tried Stagg Jr seems to have similar experiences lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a bottle of this same batch and felt the same way the first 3-4 times I tried it. Way too hot, I didn't get anything from it but burn. The last time I had some though it was much better, I actually tasted some flavors, can't really recall which though. Try your bottle again a month or so after the last time and see if it's improved.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As @gurgalunas said, it is B519. They had numerous bottles, every single one of them was 122 proof. I remembered seeing a couple 135 proof in the thread, so I was looking for something higher if they had it, but wasn't going to pass it up since I was in the store.

I had actually sampled the Four Roses the night before, at a restaurant. While I knew that barrels will vary, I opened this one tonight and was pleased, tasted just like the pours in the restaurant. There were 3 bottles on the shelf, two different barrels.

Yes, they had plenty of it at our local big chain, and this is one of their smaller stores...so I wonder if the big one near me has a different batch? I guess I have a trip to make.

B519 is their newest batch, the numbering convention is A-C for the 1st - 3rd bottlings of the year (they have been doing 3 yearly for a while), second letter is month of year, last two are year. This was the second bottling of the year and was from May. There's a store I swing by regularly that has a bunch of A119 still on the shelf which is around 135 proof. I could get you a bottle for C+S if you want, but shelf price is $66 I think so it would be pushing $90 total after tax and shipping.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emptied this liter of BT except for a jigger full then started an infinity bottle with everything else I have open minus an ORVW10.

Hope your Infinity Project works out and that you enjoy it. A liter is going to hold a ton of brown heaven. I'm 2 for 2 so far, but I am going to be using 375ml Bottles instead of the usual 750's. This way I don't have to wait so long until I get to share it with my lounge, and I can finally start to divide my whiskies, instead of doing an all in one.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bottle of this same batch and felt the same way the first 3-4 times I tried it. Way too hot, I didn't get anything from it but burn. The last time I had some though it was much better, I actually tasted some flavors, can't really recall which though. Try your bottle again a month or so after the last time and see if it's improved.

Good advice. My Stagg Jr is loooooong gone by now though, as of lately I tend to live 2-3 bottles at a time.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hope your Infinity Project works out and that you enjoy it. A liter is going to hold a ton of brown heaven. I'm 2 for 2 so far, but I am going to be using 375ml Bottles instead of the usual 750's. This way I don't have to wait so long until I get to share it with my lounge, and I can finally start to divide my whiskies, instead of doing an all in one.
I meant to save my Bowman Port Finish bottle that I finished last week but forgot. This was the only empty I have so I figured why not. I only have 2 other unopened bottles right now that I plan to add once I open them and probably won’t be buying anything for a while so may not keep it going till the bottle is full. It is a little BT mashbill 1 lopsided but will see how the other stuff contributes.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
B519 is their newest batch, the numbering convention is A-C for the 1st - 3rd bottlings of the year (they have been doing 3 yearly for a while), second letter is month of year, last two are year. This was the second bottling of the year and was from May. There's a store I swing by regularly that has a bunch of A119 still on the shelf which is around 135 proof. I could get you a bottle for C+S if you want, but shelf price is $66 I think so it would be pushing $90 total after tax and shipping.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer! Yeah, the shipping kind of kills it, I will try and hit up a few of the off the beaten path stores over the weekend and see if I can't find one of the other batches. Thanks again!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
They also had the Kentucky Owl Confiscated on the shelves, but I read a few quick reviews, and it seems most felt it was good, but no where near good enough to justify the $119 price tag.

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Stopped in a store to see if they had any other ECBP batches. No luck with that, but they did have a couple bottles of Weller on the shelf for $27, so I grabbed one of those.

Hey Tom, never tried the SR, is it much different than the 107? How would you compare it to regular BT?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
They also had the Kentucky Owl Confiscated on the shelves, but I read a few quick reviews, and it seems most felt it was good, but no where near good enough to justify the $119 price tag.
That's exactly what I've heard too. Had one offered from the managers office a couple weeks back and couldnt justify the price... It's an undisclosed blend of bourbons ranging from 6-11 years. Too many good bourbons that have the same ages at a fraction of the cost.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Hey Tom, never tried the SR, is it much different than the 107? How would you compare it to regular BT?
It's probably been a year since I've had the SR, but I just remember liking the 107 much better (thank you very much).

I'll probably crack the bottle this weekend, and I still have those minis (empty of course) you sent, so if you want me to fill them with a SR sample let me know, Nick.