What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
People are going bonkers for bourbon. Once word got out that Weller is identical to pappy, it didn't last either

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Weller 12 is good bourbon and I know it is supposed to be the same mashbill as Pappy lot B but they are not the same. I had a bottle of both at the same time and my wife set up a blind taste, it wasn't even close. I could tell lot B easily from Weller 12. Lot B is to Weller as Tatuaje is to Rocky Patel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Weller 12 is good bourbon and I know it is supposed to be the same mashbill as Pappy lot B but they are not the same. I had a bottle of both at the same time and my wife set up a blind taste, it wasn't even close. I could tell lot B easily from Weller 12. Lot B is to Weller as Tatuaje is to Rocky Patel.

Same mash bills. What differentiates the two is the best barrels get the pappy label

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Same mash bills. What differentiates the two is the best barrels get the pappy label

There is a lot more to it than best barrels. Which rickhouse, at Buffalo trace they have wood, tin, brick, and concrete rickhouses. The climate in each is different which effects water evaporating from the whiskey. Where it's stored in the rickhouse makes a difference, it's hotter at the top, cooler towards the bottom etc. Weller and Pappy may start as the same ingredients but they take completely different paths to the bottle.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Well actually there is a bit more to it. The mash bill is EXACTLY the same. The Van Winkles have first choice of the barrels they want and they also determine where in the rack house the barrel is stored. They always age in the very lowest levels of the rack house. So it really gets down to cherry picking the best barrels to begin with, aging in the right place and then choosing which of those they want to put their label on. Keep in mind that there are only 3 Pappys....15, 20, and 23 year old. The rest are labeled Old RIP Van Winkle or Van Winkle Family Reserve (includes 12 year Lot B and the Rye). People tend to call anything with the Van Winkle label on it a Pappy. On one of the bourbon forums I am on there is a recipe for combining 1 bottle of OWA and 1 bottle of Weller 12 to make your own Pappy 15 taste like. It's pretty good actually but too much of a hassle as each component part is pretty darn good by itself. If you just have to have a decent wheater and can't find Weller's or Van Winkle then try Larceny or go to Kentucky and buy some Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Well actually there is a bit more to it. The mash bill is EXACTLY the same. The Van Winkles have first choice of the barrels they want and they also determine where in the rack house the barrel is stored. They always age in the very lowest levels of the rack house. So it really gets down to cherry picking the best barrels to begin with, aging in the right place and then choosing which of those they want to put their label on. Keep in mind that there are only 3 Pappys....15, 20, and 23 year old. The rest are labeled Old RIP Van Winkle or Van Winkle Family Reserve (includes 12 year Lot B and the Rye). People tend to call anything with the Van Winkle label on it a Pappy. On one of the bourbon forums I am on there is a recipe for combining 1 bottle of OWA and 1 bottle of Weller 12 to make your own Pappy 15 taste like. It's pretty good actually but too much of a hassle as each component part is pretty darn good by itself. If you just have to have a decent wheater and can't find Weller's or Van Winkle then try Larceny or go to Kentucky and buy some Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond.
I was speaking plainly/simply, but yes, this is what I have read

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4 Roses Single Barrel
Don't know what to think about this one. It's my 1st 4 roses expression, lots of hype on this one. It doesn't have quite the finish I expected, kinda short like Eagle Rare. I really want to like it but it's falling short of my expectations. The best stopper by far (even better than Blantons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So peeked into my cabinet. I have a bottle of Maker's Mark at 42% or 84 proof. Apparently this was only for a week! Back in 2013 they announced this and within a week had received so much stink that they reversed the decision! How cool. Can't believe I have this.....Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk