What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small pour of Sazerac Rye after getting foam put down for my new shop’s concrete floor. This is the 40x60 part, I’ll do the 20x40 section (wash bay) tomorrow.

No bourbon tonight but we got all of the insulation in and plastic down. We’ll pour concrete the “coolest” day we can this week.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Grabbed these two yesterday. The Barrell was a purchase, I love several recent batches and have heard this one is outstanding as well.

The Elijah Craig Private Barrel was a trade. I am generally a high proof guy and love my ECBPs at 130 and up. But several people who's palates I respect say that the older age, lower proof single barrels have been amazing, so I thought this might be worth a shot.

Last night I had two healthy pours of Booker's 21-04 to kill that one off.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Cracked a 2018 Pinhook Bourbon County last night. This release was said to be the last MGP release excepting the Bourbon Wars Vertical Series. First pour was a little light, we'll see how it opens up in a few weeks.

Met a local fireman this morning and made a trade to pick up another ECBP B520, which topped my rankings of ECBP batches (to my surprise). Traded a 2020 Booker's batch for it.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Did a tasting with some friends yesterday, got to try some cool stuff and bring home a new bottle (shocking, I know).

One friend moved to Nashville last year and now does picks with Nashville Barrel Cp. He brought 3 different barrels and a full one of the most recent for me to take home.

Some of the pours that stood out included Bardstown Discovery 7, a 1968 Jim Beam decanter, Booker's Off Your Rocker, and the standout of the day, Heaven Hill 17 Year.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Did a tasting with some friends yesterday, got to try some cool stuff and bring home a new bottle (shocking, I know).

One friend moved to Nashville last year and now does picks with Nashville Barrel Cp. He brought 3 different barrels and a full one of the most recent for me to take home.

Some of the pours that stood out included Bardstown Discovery 7, a 1968 Jim Beam decanter, Booker's Off Your Rocker, and the standout of the day, Heaven Hill 17 Year.

Wow. Impressive!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How was it? I have a bottle of it and the old label that I’ve not opened yet.

Tonight had a pour of ECBP barrel pick from a local store. 118 proof at 11 years. Very nice after I cooled down from working on caulking seams on the new concrete floor for my shop.
Ya know...it's not my favorite of the Beam family. It just drinks super hot for me. Which makes no sense because it is 107, whereas the 9yr SB Knob Creek comes in at 120 but doesn't drink nearly as hot (and is absolutely delectable). It doesn't have many of the notes that I look for in a bourbon. Probably won't get another bottle and will stick to KC and Booker's. I believe Tom @icehog3 mentioned that this new incarnation isn't as good as the previous. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this one.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
How was it? I have a bottle of it and the old label that I’ve not opened yet.

Tonight had a pour of ECBP barrel pick from a local store. 118 proof at 11 years. Very nice after I cooled down from working on caulking seams on the new concrete floor for my shop.
Expanding on what Carlos said, the old label is small batch, and the new label is single barrel. Obviously the small batch was more consistent, and I've yet to taste a 7 year single barrel Baker's that is as good as the old small batch. So you gots a good one there, Brian. (y)