What's new

Today's Bourbon

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just occurred to me as a big bourbon drinker, I should participate here! :LOL:
I almost always just have my usuals on rotation, but it’s still fun to share what you’re swiggin’. Today it’s modest and delicious Bulleit.View attachment 173084
Nice! I only have 3 bottles open at any time, so I tend to post the same ones over and over. But still one of my favorite threads! I'm about to finish off my KC single barrel and need to pick a new one to open. I'm thinking the bottle of Rebel ive had for almost a year. I've missed drinking a wheated, and it'll be interesting to try one that's north of 100 proof.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice! I only have 3 bottles open at any time, so I tend to post the same ones over and over. But still one of my favorite threads! I'm about to finish off my KC single barrel and need to pick a new one to open. I'm thinking the bottle of Rebel ive had for almost a year. I've missed drinking a wheated, and it'll be interesting to try one that's north of 100 proof.
Is it Rebel Distiller’s Collection 113???

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Just occurred to me as a big bourbon drinker, I should participate here! :LOL:
I almost always just have my usuals on rotation, but it’s still fun to share what you’re swiggin’. Today it’s modest and delicious Bulleit.
That's the bourbon that got me off other liquors and onto bourbon full time. Still enjoy it though there's so many choices now.

I'm thinking the bottle of Rebel ive had for almost a year. I've missed drinking a wheated, and it'll be interesting to try one that's north of 100 proof.
I went through a couple bottles of that Carlos, very enjoyable pour. One was 113 proof and the other was 120.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

NBC puts out so many single barrels, I guess it's always a crapshoot. I was lucky to know the guy who picked this one, and, oh man, he picked a honey barrel. (y)
My brother gave me some Nashville Barrel Company cask strength a few weeks ago, when I was in Arkansas. Funnily enough, a drawing of Arkansas was on the label, which we found really odd. They also had a rye labeled “Arkansas” with a drawing of downtown Little Rock. Weird... Great stuff, though!00E9288C-D59E-4B52-9425-3F77B206C56F.jpeg

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yo Jackson @Capn_Jackson , is allocated stuff as impossible to get near you as it is down here? Was a time before these gas prices that I was willing to do a day trip to snag a few allocated bottles.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A few years ago, I would occasionally actually see allocated bottles of Buffalo Trace! But not in a very, very long time.
I stumbled upon a Spec's that had BT there for at least two days (went by twice to get a bottle...1 bottle limit lol). Thats like only the third time I have ever seen anything allocated on shelves.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I stumbled upon a Spec's that had BT there for at least two days (went by twice to get a bottle...1 bottle limit lol). Thats like only the third time I have ever seen anything allocated on shelves.
It was at a Spec’s that I saw it too. Now can’t even find standard Buffalo Trace, or Weller, OR Eagle Rare!! Arggggg

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Gentlemen, anyone tried Old Overholt Rye Whiskey?

If so, thoughts? :unsure:

How does it compare to Sazerac?

Seems like a good deal popped up on the Bonded expression at a local adult bev chain, 1L for $20 so for the price I may just get a bottle.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
My brother gave me some Nashville Barrel Company cask strength a few weeks ago, when I was in Arkansas. Funnily enough, a drawing of Arkansas was on the label, which we found really odd. They also had a rye labeled “Arkansas” with a drawing of downtown Little Rock. Weird... Great stuff, though!View attachment 173106
It seems they do a lot of barrel picks for a lot of groups. I'm glad the ones you tried were good ones too!

This bottle will be sorely missed. :confused: While it's not an impossible find, it isn't an easy one either.

View attachment 173114
Best value in bourbon at this point, better than many $100+ bottles for half the price.

Gentlemen, anyone tried Old Overholt Rye Whiskey?

If so, thoughts? :unsure:

How does it compare to Sazerac?

Seems like a good deal popped up on the Bonded expression at a local adult bev chain, 1L for $20 so for the price I may just get a bottle.
I think if you are going to use it for Old Fashioned you would be ok, but not something I'd reach for neat or straight. I'd spend the extra 5-10 bucks for Sazerac if that's the case.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I got to try the Coy Hill version of Jack Daniel's SBBS last night at 141.5 proof. It was a delicious pour, the nose had no hint of acetone at the Hazmat proof, sweet on the nose and the palate. Outstanding whiskey, but at $450+ for the Hazmat bottles on secondary, still a hard pass for me.

Late night a little Barrell Batch 32. This is a 5 year, not as good as the Batch 27 (5 year) and not in the same league as Batch 28 (10 year). I wanted to try this one before it dries up on the shelves, but I won't be buying another. Still a Batch 28 to be found here and there with a little hunting.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
With my Knob Creek Single Barrel tragically finished last night, it was time to open a new bottle to enter my 3 bottle open rotation. Cracked this one open tonight and it's damn good. For the first time, I tasted the cinnamon/red hots note that I've heard mentioned about certain bourbons. Drinks smooth for its proof and has a long finish. Cinnamon, dark chocolate...toast? Like Mexican hot chocolate with a not-to-sweet pastry. Hits the back of the throat with spice, then quickly mellows out for a lingering cinnamon finish. Bought this one almost a year ago on Tom's @icehog3 recommendation and just now got around to opening it.