What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Damn, my invite must've gotten lost in the mail. Impressive lineup, how many of the aforementioned are Bourbon fans? Also, how again did you come about WLW and GTS?
My dad has been getting into bourbon over the past year and really enjoys it. He’s now really starting to like barrel proof offerings. My brother in law is more recently getting into bourbon but doesn’t quite like the barrel proof stuff as much yet. His favorite so far is the OWA. My mom will have sips or little pours but bourbon is not her drink of choice.

My wife also had a sip of each and hated every single one, told us they were all disgusting and made her want to throw up lol. More for me I guess lol.

The OWA, ORVW, and Yellowstone were picked up a a weekend whiskey events host by the county since they control all liquor sales. I camped out with my dad and @marshall9779 in order to land them.

The RR2002 I had heard dropped in VA ABC stores on a day I was in the office. I called and was told the had three bottles so I headed over about 30min before the store opened and was the first in line, followed by two other guys about 5min later.

The WLW 2017, WLW2018, and GTS were also picked up from county liquor store. They usually do lottos for the chance to purchase allocated bottles at retail. My dad won the WLW2017 last year and the 2018 this year, and gave them each to me a birthday gift. This year the GTS and ORVW were not included in the lottos but in the weekend events (show up Saturday and get entered into a raffle for GTS; first 100 people in line on Sunday get to buy a bottle of ORVW). My dad won the bottle of GTS at the Saturday event and then offered to sell it me for what he paid. I have no idea what he has done to please the bourbon gods, but he must be doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@jcolan1 Wow. Haven't seen the RR2002 in person. How is it? Does it live up to its price tag?
I kind of just stumbled in it lol. I enjoyed it. It was very different than the BTAC bottles tasted before it. I got a lot of honey and vanilla, and light caramel as opposed to that darker caramel you might find along side brown sugar or molasses notes in some bourbons. Lots of baking spices, clove kind of stands out to me, and there is some fruitiness and almost some floral notes, but that could also just be me overanalyzing it and trying to put a name to something I can’t really nail down. I thought it was really good, and I’d be interested to see how it does now that it’s open, but currently I’d rank it behind WLW2017, WLW2018, and GTS (those were my top three of the night, in order)

Also, I had to pour a tiny pour in a shot glass to sip while help describe the flavors. Weirdly, when I first sipped it after drinking everything else, it had this very noticeable musty note. I didn’t get that just now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My dad has been getting into bourbon over the past year and really enjoys it. He’s now really starting to like barrel proof offerings. My brother in law is more recently getting into bourbon but doesn’t quite like the barrel proof stuff as much yet. His favorite so far is the OWA. My mom will have sips or little pours but bourbon is not her drink of choice.

My wife also had a sip of each and hated every single one, told us they were all disgusting and made her want to throw up lol. More for me I guess lol.

The OWA, ORVW, and Yellowstone were picked up a a weekend whiskey events host by the county since they control all liquor sales. I camped out with my dad and @marshall9779 in order to land them.

The RR2002 I had heard dropped in VA ABC stores on a day I was in the office. I called and was told the had three bottles so I headed over about 30min before the store opened and was the first in line, followed by two other guys about 5min later.

The WLW 2017, WLW2018, and GTS were also picked up from county liquor store. They usually do lottos for the chance to purchase allocated bottles at retail. My dad won the WLW2017 last year and the 2018 this year, and gave them each to me a birthday gift. This year the GTS and ORVW were not included in the lottos but in the weekend events (show up Saturday and get entered into a raffle for GTS; first 100 people in line on Sunday get to buy a bottle of ORVW). My dad won the bottle of GTS at the Saturday event and then offered to sell it me for what he paid. I have no idea what he has done to please the bourbon gods, but he must be doing something right.

That's awesome. I wish at least one person in my family liked Bourbon, I'd even settle for Scotch. But like you said, "more for me" lol. That's cool to hear about your father, is he Irish or something (lucky)? Very generous too, with birthday gifts like those. I'm guessing you got to pay retail prices for the OWA and ORVW?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's awesome. I wish at least one person in my family liked Bourbon, I'd even settle for Scotch. But like you said, "more for me" lol. That's cool to hear about your father, is he Irish or something (lucky)? Very generous too, with birthday gifts like those. I'm guessing you got to pay retail prices for the OWA and ORVW?
Yeah they have pretty much been the best birthday gifts I could ask for. All the bottles were at retail $22 for the OWA, $60 for ORVW, $99 for BTAC, $250 for RR2002 (this one caught me a little heat when I told her I was going to buy it lol). With the county I live in and state I work in both controlling liquor sales, it’s a bit of a blessing and a curse. Both sell everything at retail, but you don’t have variety from store to store and no true barrel picks. I also cannot enter the VIrginia lotteries. Thankfully I can head to other counties within 30min to find some solid store picks.

I’m still jealous of that store you found with the awesome selection and lots of Makers Private Select picks.