What's new

Today's Bourbon

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
So I think you guys might appreciate this. I had something pretty significant happen to me late Friday night. My Twin Brother came home for the first time in over 9 months. He left our family abruptly and wouldn’t return any attempts we made to contact him. I felt like I was losing one of the most important people in my life. If anyone here is lucky enough to have a Twin, you’ll know what I’m talking about. That all changed when he unexpectedly called home and later walked through the door. At times I thought I was dreaming. I seized the moment and decided there was no better time like the present to crack open up my 2017 George T. Stagg.

What a treat it was, let me tell you! Long finish that tasted like fresh cut grass with chocolatey leathery goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good news indeed Matt!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great that your bro came home!

The '17 Stagg is the best bourbon I've ever bought. Beats any Pappy, WL Weller, anything... Amazing bottle to be able to pull out for a special occasion...
Thanks Man!

I would like to say I agree and I'm sure I would, but I have never had any of the Pappy Products. One of these days. I've had WL Weller and I will say that it's a close 2nd (the year I had), but this 2017 Stagg beats anything I've had previously. I loved the sample of the 140+ Proof I had from @erjaq and I couldn't say if the 2017 beats it, as I don't have any left to do a proper comparison. It's going to be tough to keep the cork on this one, as I no longer have that seal to stop me lol. I'm going to have to create more special occasions, as I want to make this last as long as possible, especially to see if there are any transitions.

I agree with you on Old Forester Whiskies; I get a huge cherry bomb (think Robitussin) but no Cocoa, at least not the same kind that I got with Noah's Mill (chocolate bomb).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing news Matt, congrats!
Thanks Nick! I was thinking about you guys and this past BTAC Raffle when I opened it. Since I didn't open it after I won it in 2017, I feel as if I won it this past raffle, even though I didn't win my 2018 George T Stagg like I had hoped lol. Did you finish your Old Rip Yet?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats @BourbonBinder and @marshall9779 !!

Question while I have you all here. Anyone tried Basil Hayden Dark Rye? They have it on the cheap by me, but I read a review and it sounds like it might be too sweet for me (it has port in it, and it only 80 proof). Just curious what anyone who's tried it has for an opinion.
Thanks!

I'm curious which review you read, was it this one?
https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/basil-hydens-dark-rye

I usually have pretty good luck with this reviewer. I haven't had Dark Rye yet, but after reading this review, I am definitely sold on it. I've gone through about 4 bottles of standard Basil Hayden Bourbon and find that they drink way above their proof (around 93) and has decent depth to it. Wish they would redesign their bottles though.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Thanks!

I'm curious which review you read, was it this one?
https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/basil-hydens-dark-rye

I usually have pretty good luck with this reviewer. I haven't had Dark Rye yet, but after reading this review, I am definitely sold on it. I've gone through about 4 bottles of standard Basil Hayden Bourbon and find that they drink way above their proof (around 93) and has decent depth to it. Wish they would redesign their bottles though.
That is the review, thanks! So your take is that it's worth a shot? I was worried about the sweetness he kept mentioning, and the lack of rye notes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is the review, thanks! So your take is that it's worth a shot? I was worried about the sweetness he kept mentioning, and the lack of rye notes.
I'm a weird Rye fan I guess. I don't like it when it's too Rye forward and I like it when there's a balance of spice and sweetness. Willett Family Reserve and Rittenhouse are in my top two; both has a nice citrus finish in a rocks glass. Sometimes when a Rye is too forward it can hurt me (heartburn) and then I have to add water...which makes me a sad clown. I'm not expecting it to blow the two Ryes I mentioned above out of the water, but I expect it to be both unique and approachable. The price is pretty fair too, at least by me it is ($39.29)

Last edited:

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thanks Nick! I was thinking about you guys and this past BTAC Raffle when I opened it. Since I didn't open it after I won it in 2017, I feel as if I won it this past raffle, even though I didn't win my 2018 George T Stagg like I had hoped lol. Did you finish your Old Rip Yet?
Haha we still need to get together for a stick bro!!!

And yeah I’m almost done with it, maybe 6 ounces left? Ive been drinkin it fast lol

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Alright brothers, I am as most of you know, a craft beer drinker. But I’m ready to try a good bourbon with a smoke. What’s a good starter for me. I have Buffalo Trace on my mind. Is that a good entry level choice? I know everyone has a different palates, but give me some ideas. Thanks.
BT is great for the price if it’s not hard to find where your are. Same for Eagle rare but I would try a few brands entry bourbons like Elijah Craig Small Batch, Wild Turkey 81 or 101 if you can handle the proof, Maker’s or Larceny for a wheater, Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright brothers, I am as most of you know, a craft beer drinker. But I’m ready to try a good bourbon with a smoke. What’s a good starter for me. I have Buffalo Trace on my mind. Is that a good entry level choice? I know everyone has a different palates, but give me some ideas. Thanks.
What kind of cigar are you intending to smoke? I think a good wheated bourbon will go well with a lighter bodied cigar. It will be easier to find the lighter sweeter elements in both the cigar and the bourbon. Med body cigar maybe a standard 80 or 9o proof bourbon like the Buffalo Trace. Four Roses Yellow Label seems to be a popular choice with most medium body to med/full cigars, they are both balanced and the lower alcohol will not overpower the cigar. Heavy Maduros or Oscuros I like the stronger stuff. The higher proof, cask strength, barrel spicy bourbons. Bourbons with their own kick that will stand up to the cigar.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
There are to many bourbon drinkers already. I hear gin is becoming popular.

Just kidding BT is a great place to start. Anything from BT is gtg. Try it with a small splash of cool water.

I personally do not like ice with my bourbon i think ice cold bourbon lacks flavor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A very exciting place you're in right now, I'm envious, wish I could go back in time and experience all that I've tried for the first time. If you really want to have your mind blown, I must advocate for Henry McKenna BiB 10 Year. You can still find it for around $37.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Stick with the lower proof bourbons to start. No need to blow out your virgin palate with too much burn. That doesn't mean shop the bottom shelf where most of the 80s live, but be smart about the first one. A pretty good starter is Basil Haydens at 80, but good quality. No problem with BT either. Or consider 4 Rose's Small Batch. We want you to enjoy that first bottle, and learn what cigars work well with the bourbon.

Personally, I like to contrast my cigar and bourbon choices. Give me a bold cigar and a port-finished, sweet bourbon. Or a medium cigar with the bold drink. But that's just me...