What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think I like CYPB over the Weller 12. Too bad they’re so hard to find and when you do it’s 10x msrp
Where and how did you score that CYPB? Those are incredibly rare in NJ. Only guy I know who picked one up paid around $500 for his. Congratulations on your acquisition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Considering you’re a fellow Barrel Proof kind of guy, that Blanton’s probably tastes like water to you lol. It was my 6th bourbon way back in 2015 and one I wanted to work towards. I thought it was impressive back then. Today, not nearly as much. It’s by no means underwhelming, but lacks the punch it use to have. I still remember the first 5 in order that lead up to it. Woodford DS, Eagle Rare, Elijah 12, Angels Envy, Basil Hayden. Since my 2nd bottle I’ve passed up several opportunities at very fair price points. I’d personally rather have Old Forester Prohibition Style. I can’t believe how much an Old Forester fan I’ve become.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cracked my "Beaten Biscuits" batch tonight, Started neat, opened up with a couple drops of water. Definitely my least favorite of the 2019 batches. That being said, it's still better (for my palate) than 80% of the other bourbons on my bar. :LOL:
The Beaten Biscuits was actually going to be a blind Booker’s buy before I settled on Teresa’s Batch. I’m so glad I researched and took nothing to chance.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have picked up the bottle of Noah's Mill a dozen dozen times at the stores, but have yet to buy (or even try) it. One of these days....
Noah’s Mill is definitely worth it in my opinion. I’ve owned two bottles and plan on restocking when the occasion calls for it. I’ve had it during two different periods of my bourbon journey. One near the beginning and the other very recently. While the 2nd try lost a little on its potency, it’s still very nuanced and rich in flavor. At 114.3 Proof it drinks right around its weight class. I definitely recommend

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to grab some carryout chow at a restaurant a few miles from my house. As is my "routine" the last few months, I took a new route back home to see if I see any new to me Mom&Pop liquor stores.

Popped into the one I found and was about to grab my first Baker's SiB (it was $49, cheapest I've seen). Then I looked behind the two Booker's Granny's Batch on the shelves and found one I didn't have,

Kentucky Chew. I've heard good things, and I bought it. But if I hadn't heard good things, I still woulda bought it, 'cause I've discovered Booker's is my jam. Hell, I read bad things about Teresa's Batch from everyone except Matt @BourbonBinder , and that's my favorite batch to date.

I've got 8 different batches now (as well as extra Teresa's & Country Ham under the bar) plus Little Book Chapter 3. While it seems like I am "collecting", I pronise that they will all be drank. (drinken? drunken? Well. "drunk" for certain. )

2017-01 Tommy’s Batch
2017-03 Front Porch Batch
2018-03 Kentucky Chew
2018-04 Kitchen Table
2019-01 Teresa’s Batch
2019-03 Country Ham
2019-04 Beaten Biscuits
2020-01 Granny’s Batch
Little Book Chapter 3
A beautiful picture of your bar. That counts as art in my book. Congratulations on Booker’s royalty. I’ve heard many great things about Kentucky Chew, one in particular that it’s “the gold standard” for all Booker’s to be compared against. Great barn find! I haven’t tried Baker’s SiB yet, but it’s definitely on my radar. I might be picking one up pretty soon, as I haven’t bought any new bottles since mid March and frankly I was a bit disappointed (Tin Cup Rye). But the bottle and Tin Cup will both be repurposed so all is not lost.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been extremely busy with my recent move to my spring/summer rental (moved out of a winter rental). I’m a block from the beach and only paying $950 a month until September. I figured that news was worth celebrating. So after my tiresome move and the equivalency of walking up/down more stairs then the Empire State Building in one day (no joke), it was time for a treat. I haven’t uncorked this once since turning 35 back in October.

Last two shots of this backdrop

Followed by this:

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So have you had a chance to do a side by side of the Old Forester Rye vs Rittenhouse? I recently finished my Rittenhouse and still am decided on not replacing it, as I already have its spot filled with OF for my readily available inexpensive pour. I am however searching for a mid-bottle Rye option as my Willett Family Estate Cask Strength is definitely top shelf, and one I don’t dip into too often. It’s only sold near me twice a year at $50.

Upon a side by side tasting I would have to agree with you on the OF Rye. It has more of that traditional rye flavor and heat. It has more character and body as well. For a novice to rye I would suggest the Rittenhouse so they could get acclimated to heat level of rye. The Rittenhouse is a smoother entry into the eye whiskey world. My tasting was done neat. I like to getthe full effect of the whiskey before proofing it down with water.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Where and how did you score that CYPB? Those are incredibly rare in NJ. Only guy I know who picked one up paid around $500 for his. Congratulations on your acquisition

My wife picked it up in NY while visiting family as a Xmas present. She saw me salivating at it in the display case and went back without me to get it. It was obviously not msrpbut not as expensive as NJ.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@BourbonBinder , I really enjoy the Old Ezra 7, but not sure I would pay much of a premium even though it's a tough find in Illinois. But I'm happy to have it on the bar (thank you for the compliment BTW), and to have a friend where it's readily available at MSRP.

The Blanton's definitely doesn't drink the same for me now that I've figured that CS and BP bourbons are my wheelhouse,. That being said, there are still several lower proof bourbons I'll still rotate through as the flavor still work for me. Blanton's, Eagle Rare, ETL, maybe Weller SR. What really tastes like water to me now? Buffalo Trace. I'll drink some more later this week, maybe it was just my palate that night.

1920 will always have a place on the bar.

I had no idea Noah's Mill was 114 proof? If that's accurate, I'm in like Flynn.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder , I really enjoy the Old Ezra 7, but not sure I would pay much of a premium even though it's a tough find in Illinois. But I'm happy to have it on the bar (thank you for the compliment BTW), and to have a friend where it's readily available at MSRP.

The Blanton's definitely doesn't drink the same for me now that I've figured that CS and BP bourbons are my wheelhouse,. That being said, there are still several lower proof bourbons I'll still rotate through as the flavor still work for me. Blanton's, Eagle Rare, ETL, maybe Weller SR. What really tastes like water to me now? Buffalo Trace. I'll drink some more later this week, maybe it was just my palate that night.

1920 will always have a place on the bar.

I had no idea Noah's Mill was 114 proof? If that's accurate, I'm in like Flynn.
Barrel Proof and Cask Strength are definitely my wheelhouse too. However on my budget they can be a bit spendy, so it’s nice to have a cabinet full of lower proof choices that all wet my whistle. That’s what I love about Old Forester products, especially the Whiskey Row Series. Noah’s Mill is definitely included in there too, with its 114.3 Proof. The first bottle I had was the 15 year Age Statement, but in days or NAS, that’s thing of the past.

Both Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace I’ve never been much of a fan, despite it being among my first 10 bourbons with a fresh immature palate. Eagle Rare had too short of a finish and Buffalo Trace displayed a strange note I still can’t put my finger on. Still, if offered a glass of either I will never turn it down...I’m not crazy!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Agree with all of it
Barrel Proof and Cask Strength are definitely my wheelhouse too. However on my budget they can be a bit spendy, so it’s nice to have a cabinet full of lower proof choices that all wet my whistle. That’s what I love about Old Forester products, especially the Whiskey Row Series. Noah’s Mill is definitely included in there too, with its 114.3 Proof. The first bottle I had was the 15 year Age Statement, but in days or NAS, that’s thing of the past.

Both Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace I’ve never been much of a fan, despite it being among my first 10 bourbons with a fresh immature palate. Eagle Rare had too short of a finish and Buffalo Trace displayed a strange note I still can’t put my finger on. Still, if offered a glass of either I will never turn it down...I’m not crazy!
I agree with almost all of it....and I have to say I'm more excited about Noah's Mill now that I know it's higher proof than I thought. I've seen it as low as $49 locally.

I'm not sure if I told the story from last week or two that I had decided that I wasn't going to replace my Eagle Rare when it was gone. Then I had the last pour (and my first in quite a while) and it was delicious. :LOL:

The Buffalo Trace, I have another 1L bottle besides my open 750. I'll probably bring the 1L to a herf when things open back up.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with all of it

I agree with almost all of it....and I have to say I'm more excited about Noah's Mill now that I know it's higher proof than I thought. I've seen it as low as $49 locally.

I'm not sure if I told the story from last week or two that I had decided that I wasn't going to replace my Eagle Rare when it was gone. Then I had the last pour (and my first in quite a while) and it was delicious.

The Buffalo Trace, I have another 1L bottle besides my open 750. I'll probably bring the 1L to a herf when things open back up.
Would you (or anyone for that matter) say this is a fair price for EHT Rye? It sits on shelf in close proximity to Weller 107 and that is priced at $99.99, which I know isn’t a fair price. Their Buffalo Trace & Eagle Rare is also around $45 lol. I’ve never bought whiskey from this store before as they usually never have anything worth a 2nd look

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Would you (or anyone for that matter) say this is a fair price for EHT Rye? It sits on shelf in close proximity to Weller 107 and that is priced at $99.99, which I know isn’t a fair price. Their Buffalo Trace & Eagle Rare is also around $45 lol. I’ve never bought whiskey from this store before as they usually never have anything worth a 2nd look

That is MSRP.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Yes, MSRP like @marshall9779 said, and rarely do you see it at that price. Me, I'd buy 3

Last edited:

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0

It was $69 for a long time. That’s probably the new msrp and worth it IMO. I bought a back up bottle last time I saw it just because it will probably go the way of other HTF Buffalo Trace product.