What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome Matt @BourbonBinder ,,, what year was the GTS?
Thanks Tom. 2017 I believe. At that point i was pretty far gone. Another member had to drive me home. I had 4 drinks beforehand so it was a fun night, but ended too soon. It was from the same member who shared the Under-appreciated 2019 GTS with me. That’s his Weller Single Barrel as well. The WLW was the star of the night and the overall winner. Since opening it nearly a year ago it has matured nicely and the over-oakiness is less noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks Tom. 2017 I believe. At that point i was pretty far gone. Another member had to drive me home. I had 4 drinks beforehand so it was a fun night, but ended too soon. It was from the same member who shared the Under-appreciated 2019 GTS with me. That’s his Weller Single Barrel as well. The WLW was the star of the night and the overall winner. Since opening it nearly a year ago it has matured nicely and the over-oakiness is less noticeable.

Oh man, I’ve dreamed of seeing a single barrel!
Thanks to Craig I was able to sample the 19 Stagg, but it was just straight heat to me. Need to try it again.
Wouldn’t have expected the WLW to have been over oaked, seems so well loved..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, I’ve dreamed of seeing a single barrel!
Thanks to Craig I was able to sample the 19 Stagg, but it was just straight heat to me. Need to try it again.
Wouldn’t have expected the WLW to have been over oaked, seems so well loved..
How did you take the 19 GTS? Glassware and serving? Sometimes these high proof or aged bourbons do really with a little sitting in the glass (10-20 minutes). Worked for me in the past.

Most WLW’s aren’t but the 2019 was an unusual release. It wasn’t the cup of tea for several reviewers but I loved it. Not so often you come around a Barrel Proof wheater that’s an oak bomb.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
How did you take the 19 GTS? Glassware and serving? Sometimes these high proof or aged bourbons do really with a little sitting in the glass (10-20 minutes). Worked for me in the past.

Most WLW’s aren’t but the 2019 was an unusual release. It wasn’t the cup of tea for several reviewers but I loved it. Not so often you come around a Barrel Proof wheater that’s an oak bomb.

Don’t even recall. :facepalm:

just had another tiny taste. Really tasty, but still a lot of heat all around, front middle and back end. The proof is not as well hidden as on the other great barrel proofs between 114 - 135

Giving it air is something I never think to do, definitely could be a good plan with that.

Still have half the sample left, so I’ll try that.

Have the other years drank more underproof, vs that one seeming over proof?

I did get some great flavors from it this time, they’re just obscured a bit by the heat to my palate.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t even recall. :facepalm:

just had another tiny taste. Really tasty, but still a lot of heat all around, front middle and back end. The proof is not as well hidden as on the other great barrel proofs between 114 - 135

Giving it air is something I never think to do, definitely could be a good plan with that.

Still have half the sample left, so I’ll try that.

Have the other years drank more underproof, vs that one seeming over proof?

I did get some great flavors from it this time, they’re just obscured a bit by the heat to my palate.
Unlike many I find a rocks glass to be counterintuitive for tasting Barrel Proof. I instead opt for a glencairn or my Bourbon Trail Glasses, which were created specifically for the Kentucky spirit. Also adding a drop of water or a few isn’t out of question either. That had worked in the past with high heat Barrel Proofs. I didn’t get much heat from the few times I’ve had it from the bottle, but that might be due to the fact that it’s been sitting in the bottle oxidizing.

Each Stagg I’ve had has been different but I still haven’t had one where I couldn’t appreciate certain nuances or attributes. I believe I’ve had 5 different years so far. I like my 2017 the best though, with its grassy mouthfeel and long cocoa finish

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Still alive on this side of the ground, just focusing on other priorities. Been awhile since I got caught up with the group and even longer since I last posted. Gonna take me sometime to catch up but I figured why not contribute something first. I’ve been barely enjoying bourbon (once or twice a week) but that hasn’t stopped me from adding to my collection, which is finally growing once more.

We had a special private tasting at my cigar lounge. 4 members (including me) brought in one of our big players and shared amongst each other. Not pictured is a Thomas H. Handy. Since basically zero of these are readily available to me, nor do I have the bank roll for any at the moment, I enjoyed each one in at least one way.

Weller Single Barrel

EHT BiB Rye

2019 William Larue Weller (yours truly)

A very undisappointing George T Stagg

Nice sitting. How's that SB?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice sitting. How's that SB?
Thanks. It was very good. It was the first one we sampled so I remember it well. Too bad prices are out of control at the moment, because I liked it more so then any other Weller (minus WLW of course)

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Cracked the new Booker's, and was very happy with the Pigskin Batch. As Matt @BourbonBinder would suggest, it opened up as it sat and by the time I neared the bottom, it had a slight sweet taste (think subtle Juicy Fruit gum), and the finish got longer. My favorite of the 2020 batches so far.

I much prefer the Bourbon Trail glass to the Glencairn, the opening is a bit wider and suitable for my Irish snoz.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Don't smoke when drinking it!!
To make a great day even better, I got a text from a local whiskey group guy a few minutes after posting the OC that said a local shop had some HTF at MSRP. Got on the motorcycle and blasted over there and was rewarded. Just wish it hadn't been "1 per customer". :LOL:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost feel unworthy posting this among such fine whiskey but this is just too good not to share. Anybody heard of this before? Not shocked if it’s a no, I certainly didn’t. It’s actually the oldest whiskey line in the USA, and once was the official medicinal whiskey of the US Navy, and rumored to be Doc Holliday’s favorite whiskey. It was also featured on Boardwalk Empire. A 750ml is only $17.99 for the 86 Proof and $23.99 for the BiB, which is absolutely stunning for its price point. I would gladly pay $40 for the BiB, it’s that good.

Both feature notes of lemon, graham crackers, and floral with gobs or mint & spice notes. I was shocked how much I enjoyed these bottom shelf dwellers

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Almost feel unworthy posting this among such fine whiskey but this is just too good not to share. Anybody heard of this before? Not shocked if it’s a no, I certainly didn’t. It’s actually the oldest whiskey line in the USA, and once was the official medicinal whiskey of the US Navy, and rumored to be Doc Holliday’s favorite whiskey. It was also featured on Boardwalk Empire. A 750ml is only $17.99 for the 86 Proof and $23.99 for the BiB, which is absolutely stunning for its price point. I would gladly pay $40 for the BiB, it’s that good.

Both feature notes of lemon, graham crackers, and floral with gobs or mint & spice notes. I was shocked how much I enjoyed these bottom shelf dwellers

I love some great bottom shelfers! Seen those, passed on them cause I’m one of those who gets all spice, no sweetness from rye...