What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love some great bottom shelfers! Seen those, passed on them cause I’m one of those who gets all spice, no sweetness from rye...
Take a chance on the Bonded, plenty of sweetness to be found also mint, which is an unusual nuance for me but one that I first picked up in my very first bourbon back in 2015 (Woodford DS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Damn you ain’t kidding, that’s a hot one. Almost tops the 144.1 Proof GTS i had several years ago (neat of course)
I've long wondered about that GTS, Matt, besides the obvious heat, how was the pour?

I've seen the Old Overholt around here....hearing that it was the Boardwalk Empire brand means at $24, I need to put it on the bar. :LOL: Obviously helps that you think it's better than its price, Matt. (y)

Last night started with lower proof and finished with high. Hancock has the same mash bill as Blanton's and Elmer T. Lee, but at 89 proof is the lowest of the three...and drinks like it. Stuff under 100 proof just doesn't do a thing for me anymore. :shame:

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I've long wondered about that GTS, Matt, besides the obvious heat, how was the pour?

I've seen the Old Overholt around here....hearing that it was the Boardwalk Empire brand means at $24, I need to put it on the bar. :LOL: Obviously helps that you think it's better than its price, Matt. (y)

Last night started with lower proof and finished with high. Hancock has the same mash bill as Blanton's and Elmer T. Lee, but at 89 proof is the lowest of the three...and drinks like it. Stuff under 100 proof just doesn't do a thing for me anymore. :shame:

Have to agree with you on the proofs. The higher proofs have been much better than the past. They seem to open up a hell of a bunch more than they used to. I can't remember the last time I drank lower than 100, except for the W12. But still, love the higher proofs over anything else. Neat of course.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really like some of the lower entry and barrel proof whiskies. Like enjoying good connies occasionally a different range of flavors to keep the palate fresh. Different flavors and experiences. Even if you proof down a high proof whiskey the sugar and caramel are hard to find in the whiskey's palette of flavors.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Take a chance on the Bonded, plenty of sweetness to be found also mint, which is an unusual nuance for me but one that I first picked up in my very first bourbon back in 2015 (Woodford DS)

Immediately took your advice. Needed a new bottle for cocktails anyways. I have yet to try it straight but the old fashioned I'm drinking currently is nice. Stands up to all the ingredients nicely. Still some decent spice there. Great call, can't wait to try it straight.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Saturday night's alright for drinking, get a little action in (apologies to Elton John).

First I cracked a new bottle of Booker's, 16-04 Bluegill Creek. Super disappointed in the neck pour, all black pepper on the palate and finish to start, and didn't improve much with airtime or some water. Based on other Booker's, still have hope that this will turn into something better with some time now that she's open.

Next killed my Old Haymarket 120 proof. Twas a very nice bottle, and still have a single barrel 107 proof from the same Heaven Hill juice. Also ordered two more single barrel bottles from the newest expression which will actually be Sazerac juice.

Capped off my brain cell massacre with some KC 9 year old 120 proof.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Immediately took your advice. Needed a new bottle for cocktails anyways. I have yet to try it straight but the old fashioned I'm drinking currently is nice. Stands up to all the ingredients nicely. Still some decent spice there. Great call, can't wait to try it straight.

Thanks! Happy to hear it worked out with the old fashioned. I’m anxious to hear about what you thought of it on its own. It was a homerun at my cigar lounge. It being once the official medicinal whiskey of the United States Navy I was very excited to share with my friend Darryl. He was a Navy Seal Captain during Vietnam. He’s the one who inspired The a Infinity Bottle Project

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m in love. For years I’ve passed this right but chalking it up as not a serious whiskey with a gimmicky bottle. Boy was I wrong. For $32 it blew me away. I’ve gotten notes I didn’t think possible in a Rye or any whiskey for that matter. A myriad of apple spice, licorice, and mint.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

I’m in love. For years I’ve passed this right but chalking it up as not a serious whiskey with a gimmicky bottle. Boy was I wrong. For $32 it blew me away. I’ve gotten notes I didn’t think possible in a Rye or any whiskey for that matter. A myriad of apple spice, licorice, and mint.
I've been through a few bottles, excellent rye for the price. Right before the pandemic my GF found them on sale in Milwaukee for $19 for the 750 ml. I asked her why she only bought me one. :LOL: