What's new

Today's Rum

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@gurgalunas and I where discussing how to pair up a rum tasting in the Bourbon forum. This is probably a better place to have that discussion.

There are two options: by added sugar/sweetener and by country/proof

Barbados
Cockspur 12 VSOR no sugar
Doorley's 12 no sugar
Doorly's XO Barbados Rum some sugar
Plantation Barbados Rhum 20th Aniver Extra Old

Panama
Plantation Barbados Rhum 20th Aniver Extra Old a lot of sugar
Ron Abuelo 7yr Anos sugar ?
Ron Abuelo 12yr sugar?

Overproof
Don Q 151 no sugar
Panama OFTD Overproof Rum Dark Style no sugar

The other rums I have are
Diplomatico Reserve Exclusiva from Venezuela a lot of sugar
Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 System Solera Grand Reserva from Guatamala a lot of sugar
Zaya Gran Reserve 12 ? some sugar
Ron Viego De Caldas Rum 3yr ? no sugar
El Dorado 12 ? some sugar
Kirk and Sweeney 23 ? no sugar
Clement VSOP Rhum Agricole some sugar

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Good list.

Dont include the sourced rums in the "country lists". Brands like Plantation buy rum from everywhere, take it home and doctor it up. The Plantation Barbados is not any better than Plantation rum from anywhere else if doctoring is a concern, so shouldn't be compared to Barbados rum.

The countries that require unadulterated rum are Jamaica, Barbados, and some of the west indies like martinique? Guyana does add sugar, but are at least truthful on age statements.

All that said, group by style. Funky jamaican, clean, crisp Bajan, herbal Rhum agricole, etc. Drink what you like...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll need to do a bit more studying because even though I have heard about "Jamaican funk" and know what Rhum Agricole and Sourced mean I don't know how to organize the list into those categories. Sounds like another fun project.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190607_133352.jpg

This is a very easy drinking rum, sweet enough to be pleasant on the palate but by no means sticky sweet. Subtle pineapple and banana flavors that pair well with the sweet almost buttery flavors of the Amazon Basin. The Basin is a solid medium body cigar and with the light, sipping rum it's a good pairing for new rum drinkers. The cigar has a great burn but very flakey ash as I found out when removing the cigar after the picture. Fortunately it was a short pour.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Yeah, it's that time of year for me- time to shift from a bourbon-dominant drink list to one that is rum-centric.

Finished off a bottle of Admiral Nelson recently that had been on the open shelf. It's from St Lucia, and a really good pour, just like the rest of the SLD products are.

Added more to the cabinet on a trip to Florida, some stuff not available in KC area.20190530_223834.jpg

EDIT- Its Admiral Rodney Rum, not the rot-gut Nelson product from Heaven Hill...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah, it's that time of year for me- time to shift from a bourbon-dominant drink list to one that is rum-centric.

Finished off a bottle of Admiral Nelson recently that had been on the open shelf. It's from St Lucia, and a really good pour, just like the rest of the SLD products are.

Added more to the cabinet on a trip to Florida, some stuff not available in KC area.View attachment 136491
I have a bottle of that one I picked up while on my honeymoon. Plus the Chairman’s reserve and the chairman’s reserve forgotten casks. Had a not so happy wife when she saw how much I spent at the resort, then seeing what I purchased in the airport on the way out hahahahaha.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have a bottle of that one I picked up while on my honeymoon. Plus the Chairman’s reserve and the chairman’s reserve forgotten casks. Had a not so happy wife when she saw how much I spent at the resort, then seeing what I purchased in the airport on the way out hahahahaha.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk
Yeah, SLD is pretty solid. I've got the Chairman's Reserve, CR spiced, Forgotten casks, and 1931 batch 3 from them. We went last year to a Sandals for our 25th, great island, and they had the chairmans at all of the bars at the resort. Fantastic time.