What's new

Today's Rum

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I had a small pour of Clement Rhum Agricole. It's a totally different animal. Reminded me more of a speyside scotch mixed with a fortified wine. I'll admit, I had parm garlic wings tonight, so my palate could have been corrupted, but i liked it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a small pour of Clement Rhum Agricole. It's a totally different animal. Reminded me more of a speyside scotch mixed with a fortified wine. I'll admit, I had parm garlic wings tonight, so my palate could have been corrupted, but i liked it.
I think that's a pretty good way to describe what I thought, instead of light peat smoke maybe a bit of barrel char?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah, SLD is pretty solid. I've got the Chairman's Reserve, CR spiced, Forgotten casks, and 1931 batch 3 from them. We went last year to a Sandals for our 25th, great island, and they had the chairmans at all of the bars at the resort. Fantastic time.
We did Sandals also. And for the life of me I can't remember which of the 3 resorts it was. We did the middle priced one though but had access to all 3 by shuttle if we wanted to go to the others. At one of the bars we went to, I drank nothing but chairman's reserve and the bartender just handed me the bottle after a few pours of it.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just coming across this thread. I'm a bourbon drinker at heart. And I don't really need to switch for the summer or anything but every once and a while it's nice to have a change of pace. Can some other seasoned bourbon drinkers give me a place to start? What's a good (does not need to be cheap) rum to start with, how do I drink it, etc?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just coming across this thread. I'm a bourbon drinker at heart. And I don't really need to switch for the summer or anything but every once and a while it's nice to have a change of pace. Can some other seasoned bourbon drinkers give me a place to start? What's a good (does not need to be cheap) rum to start with, how do I drink it, etc?

Thanks!

Rums run the gamut from fairly dry to really sweet there are spiced rums, light body rums, heavy overproof rums and navy rums

A good start would be something like a Doorley's 12 yr or Doorly's XO ($30) Kirk and Sweeney 23 ($40) All three have just enough sweetness (about the same as a sweeter bourbon) to pair well with heavy to medium body cigars but not nearly as syrupy as Diplomatico Reserve

Some distillers add sugar before bottling so remember that a sweet rum can be candy sweet.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Rums run the gamut from fairly dry to really sweet there are spiced rums, light body rums, heavy overproof rums and navy rums

A good start would be something like a Doorley's 12 yr or Doorly's XO ($30) Kirk and Sweeney 23 ($40) All three have just enough sweetness (about the same as a sweeter bourbon) to pair well with heavy to medium body cigars but not nearly as syrupy as Diplomatico Reserve

Some distillers add sugar before bottling so remember that a sweet rum can be candy sweet.
So I did not know that at all about the added sugar? Is it just to sweeten it up? Not sure how I feel about that! Thanks brother!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think the sugar, in addition to the extra sweetness ads density or body. I really enjoy a sweeter rum occasionally but I have to be in the mood. I think a sweet rum on the rocks is a good alternative to a sweetened mixed drink.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You guys are giving me rum envy as I look at my bottle of Gosling's black seal. My go to is Admiral Nelson. I developed a taste for cheap rum while I was working minimum wage and I never grew out of it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You guys are giving me rum envy as I look at my bottle of Gosling's black seal. My go to is Admiral Nelson. I developed a taste for cheap rum while I was working minimum wage and I never grew out of it.

You can do both, have a cheap bottle for everyday and then a bottle for when you feel like drinking something interesting. I have a liter of Heaven Hill bourbon $17.50 I sip on when smoking and not doing a lot of thinking but I pull out the more expensive stuff when I want to concentrate on the liquor.