What's new

Today's Scotch

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
18 replies for the Scotch thread, 800+ for Bourbon. :(

Anyways... Lets get some suggestions in here.
Birthday is coming up, and I want to find a "semi special occasion" bottle... Then I stumbled across a bottle of Bruichladdich DNA that was distilled on my birth year for $340.

For that kind of scratch, would you opt for something different? Lets hear some suggestions?

Closest up to date inventory shot I have.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition
Lagavulin 16yr
Lagavulin 12yr 200 Anniversary
Caol Ila 12
Laphroaig 18
Laphroaig Cairdeas 2016
Port Charlotte Heavily Peated
Compass Box Peatmonster
Balvenie 15yr Sherry
Balvenie 15yr Single
Balvenie 12yr Doublewood
Aultmore 12
Compass Box Spice Tree
The Feathery
$340 as a base, you have an obscene amount of options . . . peated? particular age statement? birthyear? I could go on . . . I guess I should ask - is there a particular flavor profile you are seeking, or just something cool to try?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
$340 as a base, you have an obscene amount of options . . . peated? particular age statement? birthyear? I could go on . . . I guess I should ask - is there a particular flavor profile you are seeking, or just something cool to try?

So thats just it. lol I really have no idea.
I gravitate towards Islays, but honestly just enjoy variety as well. So a Speyside, Highland, etc its all on my radar. I value complexity most of all, and probably why I lean towards the peated ones.

I think most of all I am just looking for something "special-ish" The $340 price of the one is honestly more than I'd care to spend and why I'm making the thread instead of just pulling the trigger on that one. The $200 neighborhood is where I'd like to be, but if it comes down to it, I'll grab the $340 since it has the birth year and all.

Other stuff that is on my radar currently is Auchroisk 25 special release. I think that one will run me $290 and at that point I think Id go for the birth year one over it lol
Yamazaki 18 would be an awesome one to find for MSRP ~$250. But the only ones im seeing are closer to $600 and that's just stupid lol.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
So thats just it. lol I really have no idea.
I gravitate towards Islays, but honestly just enjoy variety as well. So a Speyside, Highland, etc its all on my radar. I value complexity most of all, and probably why I lean towards the peated ones.

I think most of all I am just looking for something "special-ish" The $340 price of the one is honestly more than I'd care to spend and why I'm making the thread instead of just pulling the trigger on that one. The $200 neighborhood is where I'd like to be, but if it comes down to it, I'll grab the $340 since it has the birth year and all.

Other stuff that is on my radar currently is Auchroisk 25 special release. I think that one will run me $290 and at that point I think Id go for the birth year one over it lol
Yamazaki 18 would be an awesome one to find for MSRP ~$250. But the only ones im seeing are closer to $600 and that's just stupid lol.
That helps narrow it down. . .
Iemme check a couple things and reply back in a bit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
That helps narrow it down. . .
Iemme check a couple things and reply back in a bit

Here are some suggestions I have. Some are from personal experience with them, others I have heard good things about:
- Balvenie 21yr Portwood (right around your price range. Personally, top 5 best whiskies I have ever tried)
- Glengoyne 21yr (Have heard great things - was aged in first fill sherry casks for the entire 21 yrs) - There is also a 25yr
- Glenmorangie Signet (looks different & interesting)
- Glendronach 21yr Parliament ( they do great sherry cask stuff - this being one) - They also have some great cask strength editions at various age statements (15-40 yrs)
- Benriach (they do some very interesting cask finished age statement bottles in the 17-20+ yr old statements)
- Glenfarclas 25yr (pretty cheap considering how much most 25yrs go for)

Peated
- Ardbeg Dark Cove - just came out (if you have not tried any Ardbeg's I highly suggest them in general)
- I am also a big fan of Bowmore, though their prices have gone up over the years.
- Laphroaig & Lagavulin are great, but the problem is their selections range from $50-130, but then jump to $300 plus - not much in-between

Hope that helps some - looking for distillates from your birth year can be tough (& pricey!) since there are so many unique & independant bottlings of random stuff here and there

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are some suggestions I have. Some are from personal experience with them, others I have heard good things about:
- Balvenie 21yr Portwood (right around your price range. Personally, top 5 best whiskies I have ever tried)
- Glengoyne 21yr (Have heard great things - was aged in first fill sherry casks for the entire 21 yrs) - There is also a 25yr
- Glenmorangie Signet (looks different & interesting)
- Glendronach 21yr Parliament ( they do great sherry cask stuff - this being one) - They also have some great cask strength editions at various age statements (15-40 yrs)
- Benriach (they do some very interesting cask finished age statement bottles in the 17-20+ yr old statements)
- Glenfarclas 25yr (pretty cheap considering how much most 25yrs go for)

Peated
- Ardbeg Dark Cove - just came out (if you have not tried any Ardbeg's I highly suggest them in general)
- I am also a big fan of Bowmore, though their prices have gone up over the years.
- Laphroaig & Lagavulin are great, but the problem is their selections range from $50-130, but then jump to $300 plus - not much in-between

Hope that helps some - looking for distillates from your birth year can be tough (& pricey!) since there are so many unique & independant bottlings of random stuff here and there
Thanks! and yeah, the longer I wait, the more they go up in price as well! lol

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The Exlusive Malts 1985 Longmorn. This was a gift from my wife. 28 years old, aged in oak casks, distilled in May 1985 and bottled in September of 2013. Nose is all honey and light lemon. On the palate straight out of the bottle there is honey, caramel, tobacco, chocolate nougat. This is so lush and smooth. There is just a hint of smoky wood which surprises me given how long it aged in wood. Adding a few drops of water brings out baked apple and some baking spices. The finish is long. I have tasted enough malts over the years to rarely be surprised. This one really surprised me with its overall deliciousness. Just a superb malt in every way. I would easily give this between 93 and 95 points. Just excellent. Unfortunately there were only238 bottles so I am going to enjoy every dram of this one.
IMG_4970.jpg IMG_4980.jpg

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The Exlusive Malts 1985 Longmorn. This was a gift from my wife. 28 years old, aged in oak casks, distilled in May 1985 and bottled in September of 2013. Nose is all honey and light lemon. On the palate straight out of the bottle there is honey, caramel, tobacco, chocolate nougat. This is so lush and smooth. There is just a hint of smoky wood which surprises me given how long it aged in wood. Adding a few drops of water brings out baked apple and some baking spices. The finish is long. I have tasted enough malts over the years to rarely be surprised. This one really surprised me with its overall deliciousness. Just a superb malt in every way. I would easily give this between 93 and 95 points. Just excellent. Unfortunately there were only238 bottles so I am going to enjoy every dram of this one.
View attachment 92226 View attachment 92227
22718 (1).jpg

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hopefully I can find another bottle of this dram - as I will be sad when this bottle is gone. Bottled at 57.1%. Just oozes oats, honey, & oak when a little water is added. The perfect scotch for spring/summer

I like the Glenmorangie line. The 10 year old is one of my favorites for the summer time.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
18 replies for the Scotch thread, 800+ for Bourbon. :(

Anyways... Lets get some suggestions in here.
Birthday is coming up, and I want to find a "semi special occasion" bottle... Then I stumbled across a bottle of Bruichladdich DNA that was distilled on my birth year for $340.

For that kind of scratch, would you opt for something different? Lets hear some suggestions?

Closest up to date inventory shot I have.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition
Lagavulin 16yr
Lagavulin 12yr 200 Anniversary
Caol Ila 12
Laphroaig 18
Laphroaig Cairdeas 2016
Port Charlotte Heavily Peated
Compass Box Peatmonster
Balvenie 15yr Sherry
Balvenie 15yr Single
Balvenie 12yr Doublewood
Aultmore 12
Compass Box Spice Tree
The Feathery
I highly recommend Balvenie Portwood 21 year old. Simply outstanding.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I was at Costco this weekend and they had this bottle. I'm always down to try new things and I'm a sucker for cool packaging. I think this counts in this thread. Had a glass on Saturday when I bought it and liked it a lot. I was able to taste a lot of the notes listed on different websites for this bottle. I think all the cigar smoking over the years has helped refine my palate for scotch/whiskey as well. No actual picture sorry.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenrothes/the-glenrothes-sherry-cask-reserve-whisky/