What's new

Today's Scotch

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Peat head here.

Wasn’t always that way though. In my early 20s my brother introduced me to Laphroig. Gave me a pour of Laphroig 10, I took one sip and just couldn’t do it, tasted like liquid smoke to me. Years later when I was a regular drinker of JW Black and some other blended “peated” scotches I decided to pick up a bottle of Laphroig 10 to give it another shot. Had a similar reaction to the first time I tried it but a couple of weeks later I tried another pour and loved it!

Heavy peat is truly an acquired taste. I don’t think anyone with virgin taste buds can like it the first go around but by the 2nd or 3rd pour you’ll be in love. Laphroig is great for an in your face peat blast if you’ve never experienced it and want to get a good idea of exactly what peated scotch is all about. However I always recommend Ardbeg to the Islay novice, plenty of peat but it lacks the iodine taste of Laphroig which I think makes it more approachable if your not accustomed to Islays.

I love trying new peated single malts, it’s fascinating just how different the peat flavor can be from one distillery to the next, I suspect the composition of the peat/soil plays a role in the difference but it is interesting how different the peat in Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardbeg taste so different when they are all located just a few miles from each other on the south side of the same island
So wait jw black is considered to have peat? I must be characterizing some other flavor as peat then.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
If you like that one, look for this one (on left):

Benro 10 but 57%. Harder to find, more depth, more complex, better, IMO.

Trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The benro organic is stupid good; white pepper with a “soft” heat. There is a local B&M that had the 10 year aged in bourbon 2nd that is great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hands down my favorite Scotch at the moment followed closely by Dalmore 15. Just got back from trivia, chillin out back, cold as fk (sorry northern bros 35 is cold in in Florida). Gas fireplace in the fritz of course calling repairman tomorrow, otherwise out back wearing my grandfathers WWII flight jacket, which is jeeping me pretty warm. First time smoking this stick, will let you know how it goes. Feedback from anyone in this stick is appreciated.

FFD058D6-70BE-476D-9B06-3C0C03D06F37.jpeg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Went to a tasting last night. The salesman from Edrington said they where beginning to blend more Scotches that will appeal to the younger drinker, mainly sweeter and bolder.

Famous Grouse Bourbon Cask and Famous Grouse Ruby Cask Defined as a mixer Scotch I couldn't get past the lingering taste of moonshine from the corn

The Glenrothes Whisky Makers Cut sherry oak cask Much better then the previous two but I think there was too much sherry influence I'd drink it if served but probably not stock a bottle.

The Macallan Double Cask Gold another heavy sherry scotch very sweet better then the previous but still not a bottle buy

The Macallan Triple Cask Matured 12 year old Sherry and Oak cask less sherry influence then the previous but still very sweet. Lighter with lots of bourbon influence and citrus overtones. My wife really enjoyed it but not a bottle buy for me.

Highland Park Valknut peated sherry cask the peat was very light with little salt or iodine and muted the sherry cask influence still a bit sweet for me but if I find it near the $90 recommend price I'll consider a bottle. Limited to 3,600 cases

They served another "mystery" Scotch that was returned to the Caribbean and combined with Rum. The flavor was almost indescribable. Unlike one of my favorite Scotches The Balvennie Caribbean Cask, this was just all over the place and I could barely get past the nose to taste it. The palate was different but still an avoid if at all possible as far as my taste buds are concerned.