What's new

Today's Scotch

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Doublewood isn’t peaty, I don’t think? I found it to be sweet. Haven’t had the others yet though. They’re on my radar.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk
Balvenie has very little peat except for the Peet Week. Doublewood is certainly not peaty.
no peat in balvenie except for their peat week & 17yr peated cask
What about the Caribbean cask he mentioned above? When I tried some sample of balvenie I very vividly remembered feeling like I had my face shoved into a musty pile of peat moss the second it hit my tongue and it just filled my sinuses up with that feeling. What I tasted must be some other flavor that was messing with me or something

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
If you get peat from caribbean cask I would advise you to stay away from lagavulin/laphroiag/ardbeg haha... unless you like peat
What about the Caribbean cask he mentioned above? When I tried some sample of balvenie I very vividly remembered feeling like I had my face shoved into a musty pile of peat moss the second it hit my tongue and it just filled my sinuses up with that feeling. What I tasted must be some other flavor that was messing with me or something
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The Caribbean Cask is rum finished with notes of honey, vanilla and toffee. Even the Peat Week bottling has very little peat. It is just a hint. The Caribbean Cask reminds me of some bourbons that I have had. Not my favorite Balvenie but peaty it isn't. Not by a long shot.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Like Sweemzander mentioned, try a dram of Laphroiag 10 yr. You'll know peat! First time I opened my bottle it was overwhelming. Let it sit in the glass a minute and it seems to tone down a bit. Still I can only really enjoy it while smoking a cigar. Neat, by itself the peat is still pretty stout to me.

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask gives me the rum overtones, kind of a perfect combination when smoking Maduros

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I tried a peaty scotch. Laphroig I think it was. Here’s what it smelled like....snotty smoke from a room that was on fire. And of course, I tried it with some guys from the firehouse.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tried a peaty scotch. Laphroig I think it was. Here’s what it smelled like....snotty smoke from a room that was on fire. And of course, I tried it with some guys from the firehouse.
k
Well, that about sums it up, like blowing your nose after a grass fire. In a delightful kind of way of course.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Had a finger of Laphroaig 10 with a Muwait. I had the Muwait in my humidor for 18 months and the time really improved the cigar.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
starting with Laphroaig when getting into peat is like jumping into the deep end of the pool... i personally do not care for that one - too much charcoal-like notes
suggestions:
Bowmore - any (still very much peat, but lighter due to blending & more robust sherry cask aging)
Ardbeg - any, more briney than smokey. sounds awful, but it works
Lagavulin 16yr - personally probably my favorite, just expensive

Bowmore is what i would open if someones never had anything peated before

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Also, I find nearly all peated scotches to improve significantly with a little oxidation - pour a dram & let it sit out for 30-60 minutes... there is some belief that you should let it sit out 10 minutes for every year it was aged. . . 15yr scotch = 150 minutes

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The Tomatin Cu' Bocan that I recently purchased is a very unique scotch. Citrus (lemon), lots of malty grain and a hint of smokiness(no more than about 4-5ppm IMO) blend to give a unique flavor profile. The whiskey is young maybe even under maturated but somehow it all comes together beautifully and I am really enjoying this one and will buy again.
IMG_6828.jpg

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The Caribbean Cask I liked because it wasn’t very peaty at all. I’m also a sucker for a sweet finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peat head here.

Wasn’t always that way though. In my early 20s my brother introduced me to Laphroig. Gave me a pour of Laphroig 10, I took one sip and just couldn’t do it, tasted like liquid smoke to me. Years later when I was a regular drinker of JW Black and some other blended “peated” scotches I decided to pick up a bottle of Laphroig 10 to give it another shot. Had a similar reaction to the first time I tried it but a couple of weeks later I tried another pour and loved it!

Heavy peat is truly an acquired taste. I don’t think anyone with virgin taste buds can like it the first go around but by the 2nd or 3rd pour you’ll be in love. Laphroig is great for an in your face peat blast if you’ve never experienced it and want to get a good idea of exactly what peated scotch is all about. However I always recommend Ardbeg to the Islay novice, plenty of peat but it lacks the iodine taste of Laphroig which I think makes it more approachable if your not accustomed to Islays.

I love trying new peated single malts, it’s fascinating just how different the peat flavor can be from one distillery to the next, I suspect the composition of the peat/soil plays a role in the difference but it is interesting how different the peat in Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardbeg taste so different when they are all located just a few miles from each other on the south side of the same island

Last edited: