What's new

Took delivery of a new stock for my bolt action

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@Old Smokey I'm hooked! I agree, the videos are never shot/edited in a very captivating manner, but the actual competition is loads of fun. Extremely challenging even out to just 600, which is what my local range has available. We typically run 10 different stages, everything from barrels, shooting off of faux roof tops, helicopter simulated shooting, off hand, and no dial stages. It's extremely humbling, but I'm improving my scores each match.

You definitely get an idea very quickly of what gear works and what doesn't. Muzzle brakes and heavier stocks/barrels are must to spot misses and correct on the fly. If you don't have a tactical reticle with MOA/MRAD cross hairs you're in for some trouble. Also, having really good ammo (hand loaded precision tuned for the rifle) with predictable velocities and low standard deviations are a must in order to hit the 1 and 2 moa targets from 200-600.

If there are any local matches going on in your area within driving distance, I highly recommended checking them out. Even if you just help as a spotter your first time, chances are you'll get hooked.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Pete
Thanks for the update Pete. If I was younger, I could see myself trying to persue competitive shooting, especially precision long range. But I can't afford to do it competitively and have 65 year old eyes. But I appreciate hearing about
Your matches and what you have learned.