What's new

Travel Case Seasoning?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
So my search didn't yield much on this so I thought I could ask. I just bought this one off of unholy this week. Couldn't pass up for $12.50 for my first one!

Now I will leave it open hoping to rid some of the new plastic smell but I was wondering how some of you went about seasoning (if at all) a travel case like this?

I was thinking of wiping it down a bit and airing it out, then putting some cedar spills in it to see if a little cedar aroma can be had. Then maybe leaving them under the foam as well during use. Now this one doesn't come with any humidification devices so do some of you just let it ride out and semi act as a dry box or do you add some pouches when using.

Thanks for any help guys!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Hey quick question... is yours a matte finish or a glossy finish? On the bottom does it say its
Made in USA or made in china?

I know they're all made in china now and have the rugged looking matte finish, but I was hoping maybe these were older stock.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Plastic travel cases, coolers of any style foam Andorra plastic can not be seasoned. If it bothers you that much you can put a cedar strip in it but a travel case is meant for travel not storage.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I put sticks in there, that takes the plastic smell out (but then again, I'm olfactorally (sp?) challenged.)

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I removed the foam 'it smelled awful' took out my humi device and replaced foam since that was where the smell came from. Washed it with oxyclean and left it open in the sun for a day washed it again put new foam in it and a boveda pack and cedar under the foam. Now its bad ass!

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
There's a fabric store here that sells different types I choose some very lite weight foam no smell. It don't have the fingers in it but I've left sticks in for 3 days and they not being mashed and not taking on any odd aromas or flavors when I'm not using it I have a price of cedar left over from my cabinet scraps that are loading up the new foam.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
For rh regulation, I put one of the small Boveda packets in, it's perfect. Keeps rh stable with no issues. There's no need to season, as there's nothing to absorb and hold humidity.

As for the smell, pull the foam out, wipe the plastic down with a vinegar and water solution and leave everything in the sun for a few hours. Should get rid of the smell completely.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've modified mine a bit and put sticks in it inside a 5 finger bag, not quite as impressive when it's opened but keeps the humidity where the sticks are, no weird smell and it's another layer of protection for the ceegars. Granted this works better in the the next larger size but if you trim down the foam thickness I'd sure it would work there as well.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm a wood turner so for my travel case I turned a few dummy cigars out of some Spanish cedar. Not sure if it "seasoned" it but they help to take up some of the extra space. When I'm not using the case I store them in my humidor so they they help hold a nice bit of humidity

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have eight of these in all sizes. Open the case, leave it open for a week and the smell is gone. Toss some cedar in there if you are worried. They will smell like cigars shortly after you begin using them for their proper function.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I've had a fiver for a while, made great best man gift also.

I always use mine for the time i need it then leave it sitting open until the next time. I remember reading some things early on about getting funky inside if sealed to long.

Mine has a mini pick in it. Typically i pack my stash then drop one or two drops of CJ in it and pack it up.

Never any issues and still smells new and fresh. Cigars have stood fresh for up to a week, although i aim for only a couple days.

One of the best purchases you can make

ChefBoyRG54

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Re: Bovedas etc. in travel humidors, unless you are going someplace VERY dry or on a trip of more than a couple of weeks, you shouldn't need any humidification device. If the travel case is halfway decent, it seals tightly enough that the humidity should be locked in for the duration of the trip. Just don't leave it lying open, and if you have a purge valve (usually on larger cases), make sure it's closed.