What's new

Traveling to Cancun

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
So a buddy of mine who is equally enthusiastic about smokes is headed to Cancun in 3 days and we were discussing how we are aware that fake CCs are all too common in Mexico, so what bit of advice can you guys offer for finding real legit CCs for him to enjoy while he is there?

Also, I was unaware that Cuba is so close.... anyone know if it is a common thing to travel from Cancun to Cuba?

Thanks in advance!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for making the thread man, also, I'm still new to the CC world, so any suggestions for first smokes? I was planning some of the more well known ones like a Siglo VI, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Thanks for making the thread man, another question; anyone know how many CC's I can get away with smuggling back, in checked luggage? Or is just not a good idea?

Also, I'm still new to the CC world, so any suggestions for first smokes? I was planning some of the more well known ones like a Siglo VI, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well you can try and fill your suitcase full of cigars as long as they don't open it. If they find 1 CC they will take it.......

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Thanks for making the thread man, another question; anyone know how many CC's I can get away with smuggling back, in checked luggage? Or is just not a good idea?

Also, I'm still new to the CC world, so any suggestions for first smokes? I was planning some of the more well known ones like a Siglo VI, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you really asking people what you can do illegally? I'm assuming you live in the US, so that means you can't bring any cuban cigars back. If you decide to do something illegal, that's your decision only.

I would only buy at the official LCDH stores, no exceptions. It won't be cheap, but I would much rather have an expensive legit cuban than pay half for a dog turd that you have no idea where it came from or what's in it.

For what to try... go Cohiba Robusto, Ramon Allones, a H.Upmann 46 or 50 if you can find one with a couple years on it or Partagas if you like some spice.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
First off, not all travel by US passport holders to Cuba via Cancun is necessarily illegal. It is not uncommon for travelers to go by the "gateway country" method even if they have been granted a general or specific license by OFAC.

Just look at the cost of charter flights from US airports to Cuba. Those flights can easily cost 2-3 times what airfare costs from your hometown to a gateway city and then from the gateway to Havana. For that reason alone, some legal US travelers still fly this way. In other words, legal travelers aren't required to fly on an expensive charter.

With that said, to answer the OP's question:

Cancun is frequently becoming a less popular gateway city. Cubana de Aviacion has recently cut back the number of weekly flights from Cancun to Havana. Also, a few large Mexican airlines have gone bankrupt in recent years. There are far fewer overall CUN<->HAV flights available now than there were a couple of years ago.

Assuming you do have a license from OFAC and you do decide to make the trip to Cuba, you should expect even just an overnight trip to run you in the neighborhood of $600 (minimum). If scoring genuine Habanos is your main goal, I would stick to the LCDH in Cancun and spend that $600 on cigars there.

Speaking of illegal, it is illegal for a US citizen to purchase Cuban cigars in Mexico without a license from OFAC. Period. No exceptions.

Hope this helps. Safe travels.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So a buddy of mine who is equally enthusiastic about smokes is headed to Cancun in 3 days and we were discussing how we are aware that fake CCs are all too common in Mexico, so what bit of advice can you guys offer for finding real legit CCs for him to enjoy while he is there?
# 1 - LCDH in Cancun
# 2 - LCDH in Playa del Carmen (yes it is still open. got a confirmation from them couple weeks ago / some said that place is small and selection is average).

A member of FOH forum is also an owner of a cigar shop in Playa del Carmen. Here are his thoughts and direction to his place.

Addresses don't mean much down here, its roughly at the corner of 5th avenue (Quinta) and Constituyentes. At that corner, there is an Ah Cacao coffee shop and two restaraunts, we are on Quinta, one spot down from the taco place. Karma Bagels is above us on the second floor. Called La 5ta Habanos. Pretty easy to get to. Our shop is small, its just a walk in humidor and that's pretty much it, but we have nice stock.

The best store in town (playa anyway) as far as volume of stock is Casa
Partagas (the big one, not to be confused with the small one on opposite
side and down the street). The problem is their prices are through the
roof. LCDH in Cancun is very nice, and worth a visit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, spent a bit of time in the LCdH in Cancun and planned out our resort for this years trip related to its proximity, not necessary, but fun all the same. For the record, it is very close to the Beach Palace and I enjoyed my time there, first class place.

Crappy pic(son taking it with his iTouch), but enjoying a BRC while my son drank coke and messed around on his iTouch with their wifi.

audio1der

Cuban cigar snob #1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above, AND the price of cigars in Mexico is eclipsed only by Canada. They ain't gonna be cheap.
FWIW, I have been told you have to chase an official in the airport in order to have your passport stamped in Cuba.......

hdlr

Large Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
# 2 - LCDH in Playa del Carmen (yes it is still open. got a confirmation from them couple weeks ago / some said that place is small and selection is average).
It was closed for awhile but reopened in another location on 5th Ave. It is fairly small with a limited selection but some decent aged stuff. I was there last year and picked up 2 sealed boxes of '98 Fundadores. :grin:

There's also a nice LCDH in Cozumel as well.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Save yourself the trouble and hit up LCDH... It's across the street from the fire station and LA Isla(big fancy white indoor mall)... Also check out Buena Vistas Tobacco Factory.. It's directly above the LCDH! Fantastic smokes!

Jason

This is in cancun btw

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the LCDH in Playa de Carmen. It was quite small but a pretty good selection. Was able to pick up some BHK 52s. As well as a sampling of a myriad of others. Nice staff.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made it to the LDCH after a couple tries. None of the locals seemed to know where it was. Not a real big shop but a very nice selection of legit CC's. Pricey, but more reasonable if you bought one of their 5 packs or boxes. Nice little porch overlooking the harbor (bay?) while you smoke too. Had a good MC there and bought two more, a PSD 4, and Cohiba as well. Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it. Definitely didn't trust all people selling boxes of Cohiba's in the flea market or on the beach hahah.

Working on pics.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the pics! I will be headed to PdC in Nov. First place I am heading once I leave Cancun airport is the LCdH. Looks nice. I will be bringing most of my sticks with me but I will have to pick up a few to enjoy while I am there for sure.
Would a cab driver be able to get me to the LCdH?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so, I asked a few cab drivers and despite the language barrier they seemed to have at least an idea where it is. Its on Boulevard Kukulkan, and its a couple blocks south of La Isla shopping plaza. Look for a large dark brown sign that says CIGARS, next to La Distileria.

Just to give you an idea on price range, that Cohiba Rubusto in my pic was $30, the PSD Rubusto was $19, and the MC's were $22 apiece.