What's new

UPDATES- FDA Regulation Thread - Petitions, Links, Action Items

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's a comprehensive 5-page summary of the new deeming regulations, released by the Vapor industry trade association. I don't know if it's a silver-lining, but cigar manufacturers will be able to apply for an exemption from 'Substantial Equivalent' approval. That's really the crux of these new regulations, proving a cigar made today is the same as a cigar made before February 15, 2007.

https://www.docdroid.net/srkg9j0/sfata-deeming-summary.pdf.html

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Signed...

I'm a little disappointed in the language though. It talks quite a bit about the economic impact to small business as well as the Caribbean and Central American economies but does really not refute the argument that the other side is using, mainly that kids are picking up the tobacco habit from cigars. We all know that's not true but by failing by refute it we are giving the other side traction in their argument. This should really include stronger language defining premium cigars and differentiating them from the gas station flavored stuff that we all know is what the kids are buying and smoking.

When I watched the budget hearings the women were speaking passionately about protecting the children while the men were just reading the same boring prepared statement in a monotone voice. Frankly I was amazed that the exemption passed.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Signed...

I'm a little disappointed in the language though. It talks quite a bit about the economic impact to small business as well as the Caribbean and Central American economies but does really not refute the argument that the other side is using, mainly that kids are picking up the tobacco habit from cigars. We all know that's not true but by failing by refute it we are giving the other side traction in their argument. This should really include stronger language defining premium cigars and differentiating them from the gas station flavored stuff that we all know is what the kids are buying and smoking.

When I watched the budget hearings the women were speaking passionately about protecting the children while the men were just reading the same boring prepared statement in a monotone voice. Frankly I was amazed that the exemption passed.
That's a great point and has happened before. Check this out:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/not-allow-fda-regulate-premium-cigars

That's exactly what they said in their response. "One major public health concern is youth cigar usage. We know that kids smoke cigars, and more research is needed about how this affects public health."
Are you kidding me??? I want to see the proof and if we could produce statistics that state otherwise, that'd be amazing.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
These "kids" that are smoking cigars would probably leave them alone for life if they smoked a real cigar once. The nic sic would kill them. Thats why they stick to swishers and black and milds.
Anyway, thank you @Dick Leighton for posting this. I am signed and my wife will sign as well when she gets home. Lets get our spouses involved in this as well. That doubles the signatures and while some of them may not like our smoking they no doubt understand what this means to us.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also something to think about, I found all my state representatives on twitter and have posted to them on this subject as well.

Flood their twitter feeds with our discontent and expectations for them. Squeaky hinge gets the oil!