What's new

UPDATES- FDA Regulation Thread - Petitions, Links, Action Items

El Chingon

C'est la vie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for spreading the word. Barring an injunction from a court, Executive Order, or Congressional review, the new rules will go into effect in 90 days, Aug. 8 and they include:

· Any products made after Feb. 15, 2007 and onward will require FDA approval under a lengthy and costly process.

· Big prince increases on cigars that survive

· Worst of all: The outlawing of Cigar Bars and Lounges. That right, no more community of friends smoking cigars. In fact, you won’t even be allowed in the humidor. Only the owner can go in to it, not even employees! It will probably mean that your local shop will close their doors. Meanwhile, actual bars remain open, where people frequently drive home intoxicated and endanger, hurt or kill themselves and others. Has this reached the level of absurdity to move you to action?

Join Cigar Rights of America too!: https://www.cigarrights.org/index.php

Contact your congressmen as well and tell them:

o As a consumer, special editions and seasonal blends are a unique experience. If premium cigar manufacturers are subjected to pre-market reviews it will result in the elimination of new products, and consumers will have fewer options to choose from when looking to purchase limited edition premium cigars.

o Consumers from all demographics and walks of life enjoy premium cigars. Using price would place an unfair discriminatory economic burden on those adults who enjoy premium cigars by setting some arbitrary benchmark for what is “premium.”

o Premium cigars are an adult product, enjoyed in a celebratory manner, with industry surveys substantiating that the average cigar consumer enjoys two to five cigars per week.

o Premium cigars are not marketed to, nor appealing, to minors.

o Premium cigar retailers are already engaged in strict age verification when it comes to purchasing premium cigars and all other forms of tobacco.

o Premium cigar retailers are predominantly small family businesses that create hundreds of community-based jobs. The proposed regulations would jeopardize these jobs, and threaten the contribution of these jobs in neighborhoods across America.

o Consumer taste preferences are unique and different. A ban on sampling would prohibit consumers from being able to try new products before they make such a significant purchase.

o Premium cigars are an artisan product made by skilled craftsmen carrying a rich historical and cultural significance. The proposed regulations would threaten this rich tradition.

o Premium cigars deserve an exemption from federal regulation.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already signed and plus a supporting member of Cigar Rights of America

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
· Worst of all: The outlawing of Cigar Bars and Lounges. That right, no more community of friends smoking cigars. In fact, you won’t even be allowed in the humidor. Only the owner can go in to it, not even employees! It will probably mean that your local shop will close their doors. Meanwhile, actual bars remain open, where people frequently drive home intoxicated and endanger, hurt or kill themselves and others. Has this reached the level of absurdity to move you to action?

What? I know the legislation is crazy, but that is not a part of it. What is your source on this?

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's a comprehensive 5-page summary of the new deeming regulations, released by the Vapor industry trade association. I don't know if it's a silver-lining, but cigar manufacturers will be able to apply for an exemption from 'Substantial Equivalent' approval. That's really the crux of these new regulations, proving a cigar made today is the same as a cigar made before February 15, 2007.

https://www.docdroid.net/srkg9j0/sfata-deeming-summary.pdf.html
Sounds interesting. I borrowed this post for my Facebook.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
These "kids" that are smoking cigars would probably leave them alone for life if they smoked a real cigar once. The nic sic would kill them. Thats why they stick to swishers and black and milds.
Anyway, thank you @Dick Leighton for posting this. I am signed and my wife will sign as well when she gets home. Lets get our spouses involved in this as well. That doubles the signatures and while some of them may not like our smoking they no doubt understand what this means to us.
It's coming to light that youth and kids is used very loosely as the research they are using for this age group of the age up to 29 years old. I hardly would call a 29 year old a youth or kid. By that to,e they could have served in the military for ever a decade.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's hope a little snail mail will help.
HEY! You're in the same district as me!
A side note regarding the senior senator for NJ. I take the Acela to DC occasionally and I see him on the platform at MetroPark sometimes. The look of contempt on his face when you say hello to him is priceless. He is a stereotypical elected official.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
JUST so we have viewpoints other than the torches/pitchforks, Chicken Little "the sky is falling" crowd...

https://www.reddit.com/r/cigars/comments/4j3vp4/crunching_the_numbers_with_the_fda/

https://www.reddit.com/r/cigars/comments/4j7fsy/crunching_the_numbers_with_the_fda_part_ii/

This guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He is spouting facts and experience.

Bottom line: expect somewhere between a .1 and 1.00 increase per stick. The $1 increase only likely affecting the very very limited fancy sticks. Most will be in the .10 increase range.

The sky isn't falling and the gubmint is not out to get you.