What's new

Vacation: New York or Chicago?

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Pizza Port - I used to go to the one in Solana Beach and order the Carlsbad pizza along with a pitcher (or two) of Swami's IPA. Damn, now that I'm talking about it, I really miss it. Haven't been there in almost 7 years!
You are 100% correct, Pizza port and brewery has some of the best pizza and beers!

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
as a chicago native, i like ny style pizza better. i know, that is sacrilegious... or sacri-licious... however, im not that picky, as the only time i have pizza is when i help someone move. i mean, its food. quit being a whiny little girl and eat your food.
both cities have cult followings of their sports teams. both have good and bad, such as museums, historic landmarks, architecture, tourist traps, insane traffic during rush hour, and gangs. i think there are less jerks in chicago than nyc.

i think it comes down to:
1. do you like to eat? chicago portions are larger, which is why we are one of the most (if not THE most) obese city in the US (move over, Houston!). We have Au Cheval (rated by food network to have the best burger in the US) and Gibson Steakhouse (the only restaurant group in the US to have their own USDA certification)

2. will you have time to herf? if so, chicago bros will meet up (as long as you give us enough lead time). not sure about the NY guys - @ENV will probably meet up with you, call you a fag, then leave - HA!

I've never made it to gibsons. I'll have to give it a try.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Pizza Port - I used to go to the one in Solana Beach and order the Carlsbad pizza along with a pitcher (or two) of Swami's IPA. Damn, now that I'm talking about it, I really miss it. Haven't been there in almost 7 years!
I think I've had better pizza at holes in the wall in Schenectady, Syracuse, Philadelphia, and Boston than Pizza Port...

I mean it's good, but not to sure about "the best".

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I think I'm gonna go with NYC. My company is having a cigar event there on Sept 12, so I figured that would be a good time for me to go on vacation. I think I am going to stay at the Waldorf as the rates are decent. I need food recommendations, and places I should see (besides cigar stores).
Who you are going with will help determine where you should spend your time such as museums, Zoo, and stuff. I would take a gander through Times Square just to check out the lights and action.

1-9/11 Memorial and observation deck. Very well done, but a somber place to be by the fountains and seeing everyone's names
2-Top of the Rock during sunset for great views if you are into that. It really is beautiful.
3-Bronx Zoo if you have kids, they will love it
4-Natural History Museum is my favorite, but Met is also very nice. Met is more art-centric, while the Natural History Museum is more of the recreation of history with diorama exhibits, fossils, beautiful planetarium
5-USS Intrepid is cool if you like aircraft, and want to check out the inside of a carrier
6-Yankee game. Take 4 train from Grand Central, and it stops right in front of the Stadium
7-Met game. Take the 7 train from Grand Central, and it stops right in front of the Stadium

For a great steak dinner, go to Wolfgang's and get yourself the thick cut bacon. Their porterhouse is the main event if you are there with two or more people. Their tomahawk ribeye is also awesome. It is a rip off of Peter Luger's but easily accessible in terms of tables and travel. It is my favorite and I have been to them all. Old Homestead is great too for their garlic bread tower, but the bacon is to die for at Wolfgang's. If you head downtown for the 9/11 Memorial, hit up a late lunch at Katz for their hand cut pastrami sandwich.

For a new phenomenon in street cart food, go over to Halal Guys for a chicken and lamb over rice. Get the white sauce with a little bit of hot sauce. They are on 53rd and 6th. That is the original cart location. Pick the Halal Guys cart with the shortest line as it wraps around the block sometimes. They are expanding to many cities now, and opened a storefront on 14th Street, but for the real experience you should go to the cart and wait online.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
[QUOTE="Smoqman, post: 1683529, member: 13894"]It's freezing cold there. Otherwise it's Miami...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. This from a man who lives in the "Frozen Tundra of Minnesota". Might add that the state bird of Illinois is the Cardinal not those big ass Mosquitoes. ;)

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Well, if you're into museums and want to check them out my recommendations still stand but Natural History is my favorite. The Bronx Zoo you can skip. Yankee game, the Blue Jays are in town and it is always a great series. 10th is Babe Ruth Bobble Head night. If you're a foodie and have time to burn, Di Fara's is a must have. Katz is also something to experience. Wish I were in town, I would have met up with you if you were up for some company but I'll be in Morocco.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Well, if you're into museums and want to check them out my recommendations still stand but Natural History is my favorite. The Bronx Zoo you can skip. Yankee game, the Blue Jays are in town and it is always a great series. 10th is Babe Ruth Bobble Head night. If you're a foodie and have time to burn, Di Fara's is a must have. Katz is also something to experience. Wish I were in town, I would have met up with you if you were up for some company but I'll be in Morocco.
I went to the Museum of Natural History 18 years ago when when I was...it was just a bunch of stuffed animals. Since the Bronx Zoo is a pain to get to I might go to the Central Park Zoo.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@ckay pretty much said everything I was going to mention. But I'll add a really good BBQ restaurant- Brother Jimmy's BBQ. I think there's a few of them in NYC. I went to the one right outside of Madison Square Garden/Penn Station at I think 33rd st & 7th Ave. Delicious BBQ food and atomosphere was amazing.

Check out Little Italy. I believe the San Gennaro festival is starting up soon.