What's new

Videos

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I watch a lot of you botl rolling... very exciting! I know my techniques and style are unusual... non-conventional... and mostly because I'm marinating... but the end result is the same... how we each get there is part of the self-discovery process... part of the amazing journey of our own realization as rollers... because I marinate, I've had to create ways to maintain even distribution of marinations and contain them evenly throughout the bunching process... as I grow along, I'm improving and refining the end results... which in the sum of it all is the same as any other stick... to smoke a beautiful blend with limited complications. So... here's a clip on bunching with wrapper grade leaf... some months sticks are bound with both binder and wrapper grade... all of my Vault Blends are bound with wrapper grade only.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you do this again can you give us a heads up the night before. I got on 5 minutes before you finished. Would have liked to seen more.
Yeah. Sorry about that. Sometimes it's a bit whimsical: eat lunch or roll?

Here's a recording of today's session. The first ten minutes or so are under-lit but if you jump ahead it lightens up. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I cut my wrapper leaf almost identically.
Sounds like you've got some pretty sweet skills, bruh.:rolleyes: I wonder if you also use a softish board and dullish chaveta: those are the reasons why I do those roll moves (on both the big leaf and the second cut on the cap) rather than a slash-n-dash: I'm afraid of getting caught and tearing the leaf if I do it proper.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sounds like you've got some pretty sweet skills, bruh.:rolleyes: I wonder if you also use a softish board and dullish chaveta: those are the reasons why I do those roll moves (on both the big leaf and the second cut on the cap) rather than a slash-n-dash: I'm afraid of getting caught and tearing the leaf if I do it proper.
I'm still waiting on my chaveta from Willy so I'm still using an ulu knife that is surprisingly still pretty sharp despite all the use it gets. The rolling surface is one Willy gave me. It's a square chunk of wood with a thin piece of tile and it works pretty slick. I do the slash-n-dash most of the time since that is how Willy has taught me. I have a nice bench grinder, I should just find a smallish piece of sheet metal and some way to cut the rough shape out and grind it sharp.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wish I had a grinder. I have a stone but my blade seems to get duller every time I use it, despite my careful study of Youtube videos.... I'd also like to have one of those really hardwood round stump bits for my table....

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have a nice bench grinder, I should just find a smallish piece of sheet metal and some way to cut the rough shape out and grind it sharp.
I did just that. First I think I started with too thick a piece of metal. I used a large belt sander to start my edge and a lanky sharpening kit to finish it. Took awhile with the belt sander to evenly shape the sides. I.E. Is why I think I used too thick a piece of metal.

I wish I had a grinder. I have a stone but my blade seems to get duller every time I use it, despite my careful study of Youtube videos.... I'd also like to have one of those really hardwood round stump bits for my table....
It's very possible that the reason your chaveta keeps getting dull quick it wasn't hardened. It's a heat theatment that it needs. It's also why I chose a thicker piece of metal. If the metal is too thin it tends to wrap in the process.

Also if you do try to make one it's better if you use a high carbon steel. That's something I didn't do. I just cut it from some plate we had laying around at work. High carbon steel is a little pricey. Sometimes free is better

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I did just that. First I think I started with too thick a piece of metal. I used a large belt sander to start my edge and a lanky sharpening kit to finish it. Took awhile with the belt sander to evenly shape the sides. I.E. Is why I think I used too thick a piece of metal.

It's very possible that the reason your chaveta keeps getting dull quick it wasn't hardened. It's a heat theatment that it needs. It's also why I chose a thicker piece of metal. If the metal is too thin it tends to wrap in the process.

Also if you do try to make one it's better if you use a high carbon steel. That's something I didn't do. I just cut it from some plate we had laying around at work. High carbon steel is a little pricey. Sometimes free is better
What did you use to cut the blank? I'm trying to keep the cost low, otherwise I may as well just fork over $30 for one that's already made