What's new

Videos

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I cut on marble mostly but in my lab I often cut on glass... from time to time I use my chop block but mostly because I get tired and lazy around 10 hours in :p My blade only goes dull when I carve on wood... my all time fav is marble... most efficient surface I've ever cut on. Plus I LOVE the sound my blade makes on the peel back ... nice little ring like music to my ears. ;) ~xox

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
What did you use to cut the blank? I'm trying to keep the cost low, otherwise I may as well just fork over $30 for one that's already made
Plasma cutter. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I'll be honest I may still end up buying one. Depends on how this one holds an edge. I made this at work so I don't have anything other than time invested into it. And I was on the clock when I did it so technically I got paid to do it. I'm a tinkerer. I tend to look at things and think I can do that. Hints the reason rolling sounded so interesting.

I cut on marble mostly but in my lab I often cut on glass... from time to time I use my chop block but mostly because I get tired and lazy around 10 hours in :p My blade only goes dull when I carve on wood... my all time fav is marble... most efficient surface I've ever cut on. Plus I LOVE the sound my blade makes on the peel back ... nice little ring like music to my ears. ;) ~xox
I would have thought just the opposite on what dulled the blade faster. Was told when cutting veggies for cooking to always use wood or plastic. The hard the surface the faster the knife will dull. But if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Plasma cutter. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I'll be honest I may still end up buying one. Depends on how this one holds an edge. I made this at work so I don't have anything other than time invested into it. And I was on the clock when I did it so technically I got paid to do it. I'm a tinkerer. I tend to look at things and think I can do that. Hints the reason rolling sounded so interesting.

I would have thought just the opposite on what dulled the blade faster. Was told when cutting veggies for cooking to always use wood or plastic. The hard the surface the faster the knife will dull. But if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Yip... I was taught the same... but... maybe the stone requires less pressure on the blade ... it's a very slick cut... marble is also a soft stone... so that too may play a roll... Lol... but the leaf cuts beautifully and the blade sounds like music :p

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
This is me wrapping the last ten of a weekend half-wheel. Was gonna live broadcast but instead just recorded the webcam stream and made a quick edit.

Awesome video Blake, your capping is gorgeous, just trying to figure out where you're putting the excess at the top lol.

I love the brief, yet important scene where you grab a glass of "rolling juice"

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome video Blake, your capping is gorgeous, just trying to figure out where you're putting the excess at the top lol.

I love the brief, yet important scene where you grab a glass of "rolling juice"

Thanks! Can't imagine rolling without the juice, yo. Be like Cheerios with no milk.
As to where the excess vanishes to, the key to realize is that the edge of the fat round end of the teardrop is wrapped around the cylinder until the pig tail thing at top pretty much vanishes; what little's left (if you don't go full Dominican-Cuban combo) you spin and subsume into the crown.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thanks! Can't imagine rolling without the juice, yo. Be like Cheerios with no milk.
As to where the excess vanishes to, the key to realize is that the edge of the fat round end of the teardrop is wrapped around the cylinder until the pig tail thing at top pretty much vanishes; what little's left (if you don't go full Dominican-Cuban combo) you spin and subsume into the crown.
Yup, I'm all about bourbon while I'm rolling, makes it even more relaxing.
I'm watching your video a few times through to figure out how to do that "dissappearing pig tail"

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
to figure out how to do that "dissappearing pig tail"
There's like an international video conspiracy to conceal that one key move. I was kinda riffing on that fact in this vid, while still trying to give it up. When I was first learning I didn't realize that the curve of the fat bit of tear MUST go around the shaft all the way so that there's no twisty ravine bits at the head; everything has to lay down and vanish into the center. It's all about the cut of that curve, keeping that curve going around, and figuring out how to use the opposing fingers to deal with getting the excess twist-up on the other side to play nice. The fact that how this is done is really hidden in videos with cuts and blurs and obfuscations drove me nuts for a year. But now I realize that even when you show exactly how it's done it looks like magic. The fucking thing is there, and then suddenly it's sucked into the head and vanishes!

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There's like an international video conspiracy to conceal that one key move. I was kinda riffing on that fact in this vid, while still trying to give it up. When I was first learning I didn't realize that the curve of the fat bit of tear MUST go around the shaft all the way so that there's no twisty ravine bits at the head; everything has to lay down and vanish into the center. It's all about the cut of that curve, keeping that curve going around, and figuring out how to use the opposing fingers to deal with getting the excess twist-up on the other side to play nice. The fact that how this is done is really hidden in videos with cuts and blurs and obfuscations drove me nuts for a year. But now I realize that even when you show exactly how it's done it looks like magic. The fucking thing is there, and then suddenly it's sucked into the head and vanishes!
I feel like theres a lot of things like that when it comes to cigar rolling. You can tell your not quite getting something right but you know theres a trick to make it work. Videos always kill me with this kind of stuff. All the subtleties or flat out deceptions/left out info.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Missed it. Just watched the recorded feed. Kinda looks like watching myself bunch, but I get to kick back and eat kimchi instead of stressin'.... thanks for the vid.
Ha didn't know it published that! I got pissed off at my binder for being under cased and quit rolling after 3 rolls hahaha! Everything is humidifying now so maybe I'll steam tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ha didn't know it published that! I got pissed off at my binder for being under cased and quit rolling after 3 rolls hahaha! Everything is humidifying now so maybe I'll steam tomorrow.
Yeah that's a setting. Mine's set to not publish until I go in there after and say "Publish."
I could def see binder issues going on.