What's new

Vintage Stereos

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
...interesting story about lima beans, when I was in England during the great war, the Tommys called em "butter beans" ... they ate them all the time. Those were the best beans I ever had...

Did you know butter helps get your shoes on when your corns swell up?

I had a nice pair of shoes once... got them at the dime store on Oak and 1st. No it was Elm and 1st.
No, that's where I got my green hat.

Interesting story about hats...

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I think many would be surprised by the sound quality that can be achieved with some of these vintage components and analog (vinyl records) when done correctly.

I love Lima beans.
...interesting story about lima beans, when I was in England during the great war, the Tommys called em "butter beans" ... they ate them all the time. Those were the best beans I ever had...

Did you know butter helps get your shoes on when your corns swell up?

I had a nice pair of shoes once... got them at the dime store on Oak and 1st. No it was Elm and 1st.
No, that's where I got my green hat.

Interesting story about hats...
Interesting thing about that, butter beans are actually slightly different than lima beans, though they are similar . I like butters, hate limas..

Which reminds me....

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Dang it @ATL827 ,
and now I feel dirty. :ROFLMAO:
And this is different than normal how exactly?

Jeremy, where the heck is your random discussion thread?
Oh, yeah. Nevermind.

Yeah, almost like it would be a useful and helpful part of the board, huh...

Oh, btw. Me too. Love butter beans. Limas suck.
OK, wait, name is "Harlan", loves butter beans, are you sure you don't belong in the south east rather than the desert? ;)

Sorry Cody, I really know nothing about vintage stereos other than that I like them.

Lentils are the beans of life!!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I realize some of it is just nostalgia, but it really seems those old set ups sound better.
Newer stuff is often clearer/cleaner, but maybe that's the problem... it sounds a little sterile.
Several years ago I got into vinyl via audiophilia when I started seeing "vinyl rips" on music-sharing sites. Now I use paid Spotify for everything, but there was a 5-10 year period there where CDs were impractical, but there wasn't a good legal solution to owning MP3s. Anyway, I digress.

So I got it into my head that vinyl could be "better," so I started looking into it. I got a turntable and a few albums, particularly a few albums I was really into and familiar with. I listened to the same music on the same headphones through the same receiver, on vinyl vs. MP3. And it does sound very different. I describe it as sounding "warmer." I really enjoy listening to vinyl, but due to the logistics in doing so, I only get to a couple times a year. Anyway, I did some research to figure out why, and I got a few theories.

1. Since music on vinyl is produced via literally reading the ridges on the platter, there is a lower dynamic range, so you can't have the really high highs and really low lows; these would cause the stylus to either come off the record or be damaged. This brings out the mid range and makes it feel more comfortable. I give this a 5/10 on the likeliness scale.
  2. Since vinyl is analog, you aren't losing anything to the sample rate used on CDs (44.1khz on almost all digital media), there is no compression, you aren't losing anything to the DAC, etc to include all "losses" associated with digital. I give this a 2/10 on the likeliness scale since I don't really believe your ear can detect the missing samples beyond the 44,100 per second that you get with a CD or MP3, and I've used lossless sources with relatively good setups to compare.
  3. Due to the physical differences with vinyl, records need to be mastered using a different set of skills than those used for most modern music. As cassette, CD, and ultimately digital has taken over, there are fewer and fewer audio engineers out there who can master vinyl records, and they are typically older, or at least of a different mindset than those mastering the latest Kei$ha album. They master things in the old school way before every track had an overdriven snare drum and electronic influences. Even albums from new bands need to be remastered for vinyl by one of these people, and their style comes out in the end product. I give this a 8/10 on the likeliness scale.
To my ear, I can hear most of the differences in vinyl on a vinyl rip digital file (an MP3 or better yet FLAC file ripped from a vinyl source), which is interesting. I don't ultimately have the answer but I think the albums being mastered "cooler," as in not the hot, overdriven stuff we are used to now, is the best reason I've found.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Several years ago I got into vinyl via audiophilia when I started seeing "vinyl rips" on music-sharing sites. Now I use paid Spotify for everything, but there was a 5-10 year period there where CDs were impractical, but there wasn't a good legal solution to owning MP3s. Anyway, I digress.

So I got it into my head that vinyl could be "better," so I started looking into it. I got a turntable and a few albums, particularly a few albums I was really into and familiar with. I listened to the same music on the same headphones through the same receiver, on vinyl vs. MP3. And it does sound very different. I describe it as sounding "warmer." I really enjoy listening to vinyl, but due to the logistics in doing so, I only get to a couple times a year. Anyway, I did some research to figure out why, and I got a few theories.

1. Since music on vinyl is produced via literally reading the ridges on the platter, there is a lower dynamic range, so you can't have the really high highs and really low lows; these would cause the stylus to either come off the record or be damaged. This brings out the mid range and makes it feel more comfortable. I give this a 5/10 on the likeliness scale.
  2. Since vinyl is analog, you aren't losing anything to the sample rate used on CDs (44.1khz on almost all digital media), there is no compression, you aren't losing anything to the DAC, etc to include all "losses" associated with digital. I give this a 2/10 on the likeliness scale since I don't really believe your ear can detect the missing samples beyond the 44,100 per second that you get with a CD or MP3, and I've used lossless sources with relatively good setups to compare.
  3. Due to the physical differences with vinyl, records need to be mastered using a different set of skills than those used for most modern music. As cassette, CD, and ultimately digital has taken over, there are fewer and fewer audio engineers out there who can master vinyl records, and they are typically older, or at least of a different mindset than those mastering the latest Kei$ha album. They master things in the old school way before every track had an overdriven snare drum and electronic influences. Even albums from new bands need to be remastered for vinyl by one of these people, and their style comes out in the end product. I give this a 8/10 on the likeliness scale.
To my ear, I can hear most of the differences in vinyl on a vinyl rip digital file (an MP3 or better yet FLAC file ripped from a vinyl source), which is interesting. I don't ultimately have the answer but I think the albums being mastered "cooler," as in not the hot, overdriven stuff we are used to now, is the best reason I've found.
I would love to hear what your system consisted of. I never could play in the hi-end or even mid level equipment, so went with the best I could find and afford going the vintage route and lucked into some great buys after much persistence.