What's new

Vinyl records

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The music, believe it or not, does sound better on vinyl. You can hear a lot of things missed during the compression to 1's and 0's. I remember my first "album" I bought; Stepenwolf. There really is nothing like that slight hiss in the background.
There are a lot of bands recording onto Vinyl now, you can't copy it as easily, and a lot of audiophiles actually seek it out.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
About ten years ago, I bought a huge box of vinyl records (most with sleeves/covers) at a garage sale for $10! Beatles, Dorsey, Sinatra...All kinds of stuff. I should get it appraised sometime.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
About ten years ago, I bought a huge box of vinyl records (most with sleeves/covers) at a garage sale for $10! Beatles, Dorsey, Sinatra...All kinds of stuff. I should get it appraised sometime.
What Beatles? Im actually looking for some of there stuff...

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Styx, Neil Young and many others. Got 'em all on vinyl but never take the time to listen to them anymore. My iPod is just too damn convenient!

Rupe

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
If any of you guys need to clean your records I recommend using a product called Groove Glide. I love the stuff and it really makes a difference especially on the records I've purchased used(about 90% of the wax I have) that need TLC.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Styx, Neil Young and many others. Got 'em all on vinyl but never take the time to listen to them anymore. My iPod is just too damn convenient!

Rupe
I'll take your Floyd and Zep, just saying....:)

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Just picked up an audio Technica LP-120 Direct Drive USB turntable. I have an old Sherwood Receiver with some JVL speakers that were decent in their day. It's my old sound system from about 7 years ago.

So I hooked it up and have it set to Phono, but it was mega quiet on account of phono being the setting that bypasses the pre-amp in the Turn Table. I switched it to line output through the pre-amp and its better for volume but I'm not getting that warm sound I've heard hearing vinyl before.

Got a heap of old vinyls and bought 3 new ones with the player in keen to get stuck into.

I'm on a tight budget at the moment so I'm just looking for some advice.

Do I:

A) purchase a phono stage to put between the receiver and turn table, and set the setting back to phono for that less complicated warmer sound.

B) invest in a new receiver and or speakers

C) get a better cartridge / stylus

I'm brand new to vinyl but I know it's supposed to sound better than this. I know it's a chain that's only as strong as the weakest link but I'm wondering what's going to make the biggest difference to sound quality.

Didn't buy this for DJing or anything just easy listening. Any tips are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Love a good turntable. Here's a picture of my stereogram. I'm afraid I don't have much advice on your situation though @themunt

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
That's cool mate, I'm eventually going to get an old broken radiogram that is in good condition on the exterior, pull all the old stuff out and kit it with modern stuff, will still look like an antique but will sound amazing too. Should be a fun project.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool mate, I'm eventually going to get an old broken radiogram that is in good condition on the exterior, pull all the old stuff out and kit it with modern stuff, will still look like an antique but will sound amazing too. Should be a fun project.
That should be good. If you can find an old valve stereogram, they are meant to have he best sound quality then it would just be a matter of putting it the amp, new speakers and upgrade the needle.

Some of the old stereograms have an auto function for the record player which will control the needle arm to play through multiple records which I reckon is pretty cool, so I left mine standard but upgraded the needle.

Just some food for thought

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Just picked up an audio Technica LP-120 Direct Drive USB turntable. I have an old Sherwood Receiver with some JVL speakers that were decent in their day. It's my old sound system from about 7 years ago.

So I hooked it up and have it set to Phono, but it was mega quiet on account of phono being the setting that bypasses the pre-amp in the Turn Table. I switched it to line output through the pre-amp and its better for volume but I'm not getting that warm sound I've heard hearing vinyl before.

Got a heap of old vinyls and bought 3 new ones with the player in keen to get stuck into.

Do I:

A) purchase a phono stage to put between the receiver and turn table, and set the setting back to phono for that less complicated warmer sound.

I'm brand new to vinyl but I know it's supposed to sound better than this. I know it's a chain that's only as strong as the weakest link but I'm wondering what's going to make the biggest difference to sound quality.

Didn't buy this for DJing or anything just easy listening. Any tips are appreciated.

Paging @Old Smokey

Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Do I:

Do I:

I am not familiar with your turntable, so I can't help you there. What model # is your receiver? And you said JVL speakers? Could they be JBL or JVC by chance?

All 3 components you mention would all make a big difference in your sound quality. Personally I suggest you clean your records really good and Google phono cartridge alignment.

As far as building a system with a tight budget, patience, persistence and a lot of footwork will eventually pay huge dividends.

I was a vinyl junkie and vintage stereo guy since 1991. I no longer collect records or stereo gear, although I still have my system, but no vinyl any more. At one time I owned over 30,000 records and nearly 100 pieces of stereo equipment. LMAO, I was a sick puppy.

Have you thought of joining a vintage audio forum? Audiokarma is a good one with a lot of help and civility. I am not a highly technical person, but I will be glad to help you with questions you may have. But there are guys on AK who build amps, preamps and speakers that would cost $10K to compare in a high-end audio store. It's a REALLY big audio world out there and the slope is so slippery. Rings a bell huh!

Steve

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I am not familiar with your turntable, so I can't help you there. What model # is your receiver? And you said JVL speakers? Could they be JBL or JVC by chance?

All 3 components you mention would all make a big difference in your sound quality. Personally I suggest you clean your records really good and Google phono cartridge alignment.

As far as building a system with a tight budget, patience, persistence and a lot of footwork will eventually pay huge dividends.

I was a vinyl junkie and vintage stereo guy since 1991. I no longer collect records or stereo gear, although I still have my system, but no vinyl any more. At one time I owned over 30,000 records and nearly 100 pieces of stereo equipment. LMAO, I was a sick puppy.

Have you thought of joining a vintage audio forum? Audiokarma is a good one with a lot of help and civility. I am not a highly technical person, but I will be glad to help you with questions you may have. But there are guys on AK who build amps, preamps and speakers that would cost $10K to compare in a high-end audio store. It's a REALLY big audio world out there and the slope is so slippery. Rings a bell huh!

Steve
So I was digging in the fathers cupboards hoping to find more records and what do you know... I find a Bose Lifestyle System 8 surround sound setup. Got it working now just need to tweak it. Sounds much better so never mind the old receiver and speakers. Still got a lot to learn and change though.

Just regarding your first tip about cleaning them good, how do you clean yours? Have seen brushes, products like gruv glide, machines that clean etc..

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

Steve
And thanks for the tips mate, there are a few forums I been thinking of joining, just thought I'd see if there were any folk who shared the hobbies, always a bit dubious about joining a forum and being hey guys please fix my problem, so just thought I'd try BOTL first.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So IJust regarding your first tip about cleaning them good, how do you clean yours? Have seen brushes, products like gruv glide, machines that clean etc..
I used a line of products from Osage Audio Products called Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions. You can get it online. There is a lot of science that has gone into its development and worth the price.
Especially if you are buying and playing old used vinyl, there is a lot of dust, dirt and mold down in the grooves that needs to be removed. IMO the only way to do that is with a solution that will loosen and suspend the junk and then sucked out with a vac record cleaning machine. AI includes a wetting agent to suspend the contamination so it can be sucked out. You apply and scrub using a carbon fiber brush and then vac. Lots of these vac machines have been made DIY and how it is done can be found googling or YouTube. If you don't vac it off it just settles and dries deep in the grooves.

Some people swear good results scrubbing, rinsing and drying in the kitchen sink. I tried this method and it didn't work as well as the vac method. But it did make improvements. But was more time consuming and not as easy. But is certainly much cheaper.
Cartridge alignment is critical also to get the best sound. A lot of used records were not kept clean and played with a large dirty stylus (diamond part of the needle) and the grooves suffered damage making for poor sound. You can get a fine line stylus that will ride deeper in the groove below the damage and will sound clean and pure. But, those deep grooves must be clean to sound good. A well mastered (uncompressed) vinyl album that is clean and played with a good quality aligned cartridge will sound just as clean (no hiss, or snap crackle and pop) as digital, except not compressed and will just sound more lifelike and live.

Is your TT modeled after the Technics SL1200? I remember Audio Technica had come out with a TT designed after the Technics and while decent they weren't as good as the Technics which were true workhorses. Long thought of as a DJ table, audiophiles learned they could be made to sound pretty damn good. I have a Technics SP25 which is the radio station version of the 1200.
I hope this info helps and is what you are looking for.