What's new

Wal-Mart The High cost of Low Price

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Beautiful Moutains of Western North Carolina
I lived into two small towns, where the only place to shop is (still) Wal*Mart. However I recently moved to another small town, with a thriving downtown. It still sad when i think about all the business that closed because of Wal*Mart. These were small local businesses that were family owned, and been a staple of the community for decades. When Wal*Mart setup shop there it wiped the local business off the map. The supreme irony is that the small family who owned one particular hardware store now works for Wal*Mart. I won't even discuss how Wal*Mart forces other retailers into it's unique model of efficience to compete. No other retailer can hope to match Wal*Mart in Inventory Management, and Assest building. So in many ways small towns become monopolies for Wal*Mart. Saying all that, I still (sometimes) shop at Wal*Mart.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anybody seen the Wal-Mart South Park episode? The place really sucks you in. They have everything there. Their prices are NOT always the lowest. The wife and I usually do our grocery shopping at Kroger (local grocery chain). We go to wally world or sams club for the other stuff that you can save money on by buying in bulk. Like frozen food, laundry detergent, soap, tooth paste, mouth wash. Ya know stuff like that. Our local farmers market usually has the best prices on meat and produce crap. Gotta shop around yall!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Uh, dude.....Kroger isn't a "local" grocery chain. They're the nation's largest grocery-specific retailer, and second only to WAL-MART for total grocery sales. On top of that, they're the third-largest retailer overall.

1. Top 5 Lists (by revenue):

General (Overall)
Wal-Mart $256 billion
Home Depot $73.1
Kroger $56.4
Costco $47.15
Target $46.8

Consumer Electronics & Entertainment
Best Buy $24.5
Circuit City $9.7
RadioShack Corporation $4.8
GameStop Corp/Electronics Boutique. $4.3
Guitar Center Inc $1.69

Grocery
Kroger Co. $56.4
Albertson's Inc. $41
Safeway Inc. $37.76
Supervalu Inc. $19.6
Winn-Dixie $9.92

Home Improvement
Home Depot $73.1
Lowe's Companies $36.5
Buildings Materials Holding Corp $2.63
Builders Firstsource $2.28
Fastenal Co. $1.46

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I didn't know that. In all the states I've been to I've only seen em here. Well I guess I wasn't really looking for them.
Hey I know whatcha mean, I don't exactly go around looking at grocery stores when I'm traveling, ya know? LOL :yes:

But in the interest of full disclosure, you should know that I worked for Kroger all through high school and college, so I just happened to know they were the nation's largest grocer.

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Uh, dude.....Kroger isn't a "local" grocery chain. They're the nation's largest grocery-specific retailer, and second only to WAL-MART for total grocery sales. On top of that, they're the third-largest retailer overall.

1. Top 5 Lists (by revenue):

General (Overall)
Wal-Mart $256 billion
Home Depot $73.1
Kroger $56.4
Costco $47.15
Target $46.8

Consumer Electronics & Entertainment
Best Buy $24.5
Circuit City $9.7
RadioShack Corporation $4.8
GameStop Corp/Electronics Boutique. $4.3
Guitar Center Inc $1.69

Grocery
Kroger Co. $56.4
Albertson's Inc. $41
Safeway Inc. $37.76
Supervalu Inc. $19.6
Winn-Dixie $9.92

Home Improvement
Home Depot $73.1
Lowe's Companies $36.5
Buildings Materials Holding Corp $2.63
Builders Firstsource $2.28
Fastenal Co. $1.46
You can take Circuit City off the list...