What's new

Wal-Mart The High cost of Low Price

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When it comes to ones discretionary income then it's up that to that person where they want to spend it. One persons perception of fact is another persons fairy tale. WalMart is one of those places that either inspires you to brag about shopping there or it reminds you of pure evil. At the end of the day I don't like it when somebody tells me how I am supposed to spend my money or where I spend it. If you want to spend your hard earned income by drinking it away or spending it all at Walmart then that's up to you. Why others want to make it a political point to argue where one spends their money is ridiculous at best. I don't spend my money at plenty of places but that doesn't mean I need to make it a full time march to tell others not to shop there. I get that we all have places that have screwed us over at one time or another but when you try and tell others how to spend their money,,,,that's a line crosser in my opinion.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I saw the movie a while back, it was very biased toward "hate walmart." It never offered a view of the other side of the aisle. I choose not to shop at Walmart because I like Kroger better.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hate going to Wal-Mart. Its always crowded, you cant look at competing products without 20 people being in your space.

Yes its cheap, but its not that much cheaper when you take advantage of the special deals at the competing supermarket. Ive had the supermarket be cheaper. The wife was making some kind of cheesecake and went to walmart because the stuff would be cheaper and I got dragged along. Crowded, out of stock on stuff, so we had to go to the supermarket anyway. Guess what.... everything was either the same price or in a few instances cheaper. It also wasnt crowded, was easy to shop, and a nice experience overall.

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dont really shop at Walmart. Theres one in our city, but its a 15 minute drive. 30 minutes round trip = I will shop at target and Costco and not deal with the people who shop there and the stellar customer service.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The way this thread reads you would think Wal-Mart is going out of business, but they just opened another Superstore in my town giving us 2. And are probably opening one today somewhere.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
one that costs $75,000. My point exactly, just because a person owns a business does not mean they're loaded. We're just average, hard-working people.
Bro I feel your pain. Let me ask you this with all due respect. You own 3 restaurants? That has got to be a lot of stress and a lot of work. I don't know what better way to ask this but..... Do you and your wife think that you are in the right business? I mean after doing all that work and still have to struggle to get a house that cost $75,000? What makes it worth it man? Again, I'm not trying to be offensive.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I completely understand, Dub. My wife's parents put their land up as collateral on the business. If it falls through now they could lose it all. Bro, if it was up to me I'd be gone! Lol! You're absolutely right, it's not worth it at all. We're trying to sell now. Once we get to where they're not at risk, we're out! No offense taken, brother.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm glad I'm not alone. If it were up to me, the only tax would be a flat 25% sales tax across the board, that's it! You can't tax crack, but crack dealers gotta eat too! I think they would make much more money and it would be alot more fair. Thanks, Saully. I truly believe in our food. As a matter of fact, fitness is huge to me and I still cant resist the fish or shrimp!
DUDE! 25% sales tax??? Think about your customers! Taxes should be case by case. Just like tithing in church. Not everyone can put $100. in the plate every week.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Exactly, just sales tax. The more you have, the more you spend. As of right now, you and I pay more taxes than Joe Crack Dealer. If they eliminated all other forms of tax (property tax, FICA, etc.) and simply taxed on sales, everybody would be taxed according to what they spend. 25% may be a little extreme, maybe 18-20%. As it stands now, depending on your state, you pay 17-20% taxes on what you make between federal, state, local and sales tax. If we only paid sales tax it would be more even across the board. It would also eliminate people working under the table and illegally.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
When tithing in church, everyone is "supposed" to tithe at least 10% of their income. It would be the same with sales tax, people would pay taxes according to what they make / spend.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Exactly, just sales tax. The more you have, the more you spend. As of right now, you and I pay more taxes than Joe Crack Dealer. If they eliminated all other forms of tax (property tax, FICA, etc.) and simply taxed on sales, everybody would be taxed according to what they spend. 25% may be a little extreme, maybe 18-20%. As it stands now, depending on your state, you pay 17-20% taxes on what you make between federal, state, local and sales tax. If we only paid sales tax it would be more even across the board. It would also eliminate people working under the table and illegally.
You're making too much damn sense dude. It would be too fair and too effective. Why on earth would our government ever in a million years adopt something that would curb corruption, greed, tax evasion and so forth?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It would be the same with sales tax, people would pay taxes according to what they make / spend.
But if taxes are higher that could cause people to spend less. That the problem right now. If I'm on medication and have to pay more for it I may have to spend less on food for my family. Without the federal child tax credit having kids may become more unaffordable for some. My wife and I have decided to hold off on kids cus we just cant afford them. Or should poor people just not have kids? Forget about $10 dollar cigars!

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I feel you, that's one reason my wife and I are holding out on kids. Thinking further into it, if they charged a flat rate sales tax they may be able to lower it because more people would be paying. Maybe the honest and working will be charged less money and others' will start paying them... who knows...

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
But if taxes are higher that could cause people to spend less. That the problem right now. If I'm on medication and have to pay more for it I may have to spend less on food for my family. Without the federal child tax credit having kids may become more unaffordable for some. My wife and I have decided to hold off on kids cus we just cant afford them. Or should poor people just not have kids? Forget about $10 dollar cigars!
If a Federal Sales tax is done right and the income tax is eliminated as part of that then taxes would be the same if not go down. The fact that people would see more money every paycheck may help encourage spending. Sales tax is a very fair way of collecting government taxes. What a person decides to spend is what they pay in taxes. It will also help cut out loopholes and make people working under the table or illegally help with some of the tax burden.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
then again, this plan would be counterproductive toward certain programs being pushed by certain political figures.... (choosing my words carefully)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think the only people that will benefit will be people with fat bank accounts (the rich). Same as whats going on now. The poor and middle class will still struggle. It also may cause people to spend more with forign countries to avoid the sales tax here.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
We will still struggle, but we will always struggle. With a flat tax, everyone will be taxed an equal amount according to what they spend. If you spend less, you're taxed less. The rich will be taxed much more because they spend more. It will be totally equal regardless of social class or income.