What's new

Wal-Mart The High cost of Low Price

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If a Federal Sales tax is done right and the income tax is eliminated as part of that then taxes would be the same if not go down. The fact that people would see more money every paycheck may help encourage spending. Sales tax is a very fair way of collecting government taxes. What a person decides to spend is what they pay in taxes. It will also help cut out loopholes and make people working under the table or illegally help with some of the tax burden.
I understand what your saying here. However I feel that the only people that would really benefit from this are people that get fat paychecks. Regular people like me would would still struggle.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We will still struggle, but we will always struggle. With a flat tax, everyone will be taxed an equal amount according to what they spend. If you spend less, you're taxed less. The rich will be taxed much more because they spend more. It will be totally equal regardless of social class or income.
I see what you are saying. But its hard for me to agree. Sounds good on paper but I dont think it would be "fair" in the long run.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Middle class people will most likely struggle regardless. I don't think we should make things worse on people who make more simply because they make more. I firmly believe people should be able to reap the benefits of success. Although some people like Hilton are rich just because, most people work very hard for it. By punishing the rich for being rich, we are discouraging success, thus discouraging a thriving economy. I think all the taxpayers will benefit. Instead of people abusing they system and skipping out of taxes, all will pay taxes according to their spending habits. The rich spend much more, therefore they will be taxed much more. If the sales tax is similar to the current taxes spent, we will see little change. Any change we do see will probably be positive.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well typically speaking the people with fat pay checks buy things like 7 series BMWs and hi end mercedes. They would be taxed on what they spend. If you make less and you spend less than you pay less taxes. Just that it comes out to the same burden percentage wise.

Any tax system besides this unfairly progressive system we have now benefits the rich. Hell they even find some way for this system to benefit them so why complain about the rich. The rich will always be rich and that is that.

Society isn't fair. We are not all going to be independently wealthy. The sooner everyone realizes that there are people bound to be CEOs and people bound to be satisfied with janitorial work the better off we'll be. We are getting greedy and have an increasing attitude of entitlement and it's destroying the country. Social programs breed laziness and a loss of morals.

For example. If it weren't for social security who would take care of your/my parents. My answer to that is, I would take care of MINE, I'm not sure about your's. Morally I feel responsible for taking care of them because they took care of me. However because of the social programs put forth it is increasingly becoming a trend that children don't take care of their elderly parents. They throw them in a home and basically the parents become wards of the state.

In the end hard work and resourcefulness will win with a fair tax system. Laziness and ineptitude will allow people like that to remain where they are already.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I completely understand what you are saying. I don't think that success is being discouraged. You were not discouraged after you opened store 2 and 3 were you? Kids are still going to college in hopes of being doctors and lawyers and making a lot of money. Taxes are not a punishment. Yes the system needs to be fixed. Yes people are shady and skip out or cheat on their taxes. However our system has become to large to survive on just sales tax. Is that good or bad? I don't know. I think that by making a "fair tax" would just encourage new ways of being dishonest. And if the govt is solely dependant on sales tax then what happens when people don't pay it? In Georgia people cant buy beer or liquor on Sundays? But you can get it if you want it from the bootleg house. See what I mean?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The current tax structure is a complete joke, and I agree that the flat tax would punish the middle class and the poor.

First thing is to cut spending across the board and keep the government minimal. Abolish the IRS, get rid of the income tax, and stop printing money out of thin air. The biggest enemy to the middle class and poor is inflation.....the dollar goes down the cost of living goes up, jobs are lost.

In order to have a flat tax it would have to be at the MINIMUM 25%-30%.....this would destroy the middle class and the country.
Yes!!! Finally some back up! Ah man we read the same book!! :grinFU:

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Yeah I see your point. I think a big problem is the gov't is too big. They don't have enough beacause they spend too much. As long as they continue to expand and creat new programs and studies, we will take the hit for it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well typically speaking the people with fat pay checks buy things like 7 series BMWs and hi end mercedes. They would be taxed on what they spend. If you make less and you spend less than you pay less taxes. Just that it comes out to the same burden percentage wise.

Any tax system besides this unfairly progressive system we have now benefits the rich. Hell they even find some way for this system to benefit them so why complain about the rich. The rich will always be rich and that is that.

Society isn't fair. We are not all going to be independently wealthy. The sooner everyone realizes that there are people bound to be CEOs and people bound to be satisfied with janitorial work the better off we'll be. We are getting greedy and have an increasing attitude of entitlement and it's destroying the country. Social programs breed laziness and a loss of morals.

For example. If it weren't for social security who would take care of your/my parents. My answer to that is, I would take care of MINE, I'm not sure about your's. Morally I feel responsible for taking care of them because they took care of me. However because of the social programs put forth it is increasingly becoming a trend that children don't take care of their elderly parents. They throw them in a home and basically the parents become wards of the state.

In the end hard work and resourcefulness will win with a fair tax system. Laziness and ineptitude will allow people like that to remain where they are already.
Dude! What about the old people that have out lived their children? Or the ones that never had any? I guess the lazy old bastards should just eat cat food and live on the street! In order to have a civil country you need social programs.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It seems to me that this country, our elected officials specifically are completely lacking common sense. If we got back to the constitution stopped governing with greed and corruption, this county could get back on track and be what it once was.
If I were gay I would be in love! Seriously, that has been my whole point!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
get back on track

Speaking of getting back on track, I really enjoyed the film. Whether you love or hate walmart or the other bigbox stores is up to you. But, the effect of their business model and the result of their proliferation into small town USA is destroying the small businesses. I feel that that point was hammered home well.

My family and I will intentionally stay out of wallmart because I would prefer to pay a dollar more once in a while at the local businesses in our community that provide much better service, impact the local economy more, and add a certain sense of flavor and history to the local business landscape and community. I believe the small price difference is worth it. Most other people, however, do not see it the same way. They would rather have the local guy go out of business and save 50 cents.

Walmart is not the only evil bigbox store. They have a much bigger presence than Target or the others; especially in the small towns that seem to be affected most. I believe that makes them the worst.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Walmart is not the only evil bigbox store.
Agreed.

I find that most (but not necessarily all) of the problems I have with WAL-MART are found at most other big box stores. By the nature of their business model, they all sell mass-market items at low prices. I personally don't buy many mass-market consumer items since the things I'm into are kinda "fringe" interests, so I tend to avoid big box stores in general.

I do gotta admit tho that WAL-MART is the worst, simply because it is the only big box store where I've seen the following items on the ground:

(A) Vommit, and lots of it
(B) poo-filled baby diapers
(C) chunky crusted feminine pad
(D) pool of urine (perhaps from a dog, I admit)

Seriously, I've seen all those at WAL-MART. :timebomb:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do gotta admit tho that WAL-MART is the worst, simply because it is the only big box store where I've seen the following items on the ground:

(A) Vommit, and lots of it
(B) poo-filled baby diapers
(C) chunky crusted feminine pad
(D) pool of urine (perhaps from a dog, I admit)

Seriously, I've seen all those at WAL-MART. :timebomb:
Damn Bro! What Wal-Mart are you going to? I usually just see piss poor customer service.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Dude, WAL-MART in the city (especially the part I live in) isn't like WAL-MART in the suburbs or the country. My local WAL-MART is staffed by uneducated, low-income workers who don't give a shit about the company, and it's surrounded by low-rent crime-ridden apartments and some of the cheapest, poorest, and run down housing areas in the entire DFW metropolitan area.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dude, WAL-MART in the city (especially the part I live in) isn't like WAL-MART in the suburbs or the country. My local WAL-MART is staffed by uneducated, low-income workers who don't give a shit about the company, and it's surrounded by low-rent crime-ridden apartments and some of the cheapest, poorest, and run down housing areas in the entire DFW metropolitan area.
Damn! You should go to another wally world...

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well it's the only one near me at the moment, which is one of the reasons I don't shop at WAL-MART. Now granted, I admit that it's cleaned up quite a bit since they re-did the store with the new logo and all the bright blue paint....but it's still crappy, even for a WAL-MART.

There is a new one being build the other direction from my house, but damn I'd still have to pass 2 different Targets to get there. Why would I do that?!? LOL

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Hearing some horror stories of WalMart from you guys, I can understand why you would not shop there! I do simply because it's the nearest reasonable-cost store in the area. Where I live there are not really any mom-n-pop stores, its all big chains. Our walmarts aren't incredibly awesome, but the customer service isn't horrible. An employee will stand there and watch you look for something but they're not rude here. However, if they were anything like what yall experience I would not step foot in em regardless of prices! I prefer Target when I can go, it's a little bit nicer.