What's new

Warped Cigars El Oso Mama

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Date: The 28th day of November, the year 2014
Review: Warped El Oso Mama (I realized that no one has reviewed the Mama, and I'm pretty sure it has a different wrapper than the other two El Oso sticks.
Size: 7x38 Long Panatela
MSRP: $12.50

Smoking Environment: Long day full of shopping, family, and leftovers for every meal. The night has settled in, dropping the air temperature down to a brisk 57 degrees, a far cry from the blistering frigid winter of the North. All the family has returned to their homes and a quiet fills the neighborhood, only to be disrupted by the occasional passing car or distant laughter. I find myself still ruminating over the exuberance of the last two days. I consider myself very fortunate to have a house filled with love and laughter, and a gathering of family and friends for every holiday. Nevertheless, how easily we as humans forget the importance of taking a breath. Between the chaotic blissfulness of family holidays and the incessant pull of modern marketing, urging you to spend more money in less time, our thoughtfulness is lost. We overlook the truth that in just a moment everything can change, everything can be less ‘ok’, everything can turn to complete turmoil. As dark as it is to ponder, lest we disremember completely, we must not take a single breath for granted. No matter who or what occupies the remainder of your holiday season, try to remain conscious of the friends and family you keep close, and remembering those we have all lost along the way. After all, family (including the family you choose) is the springhead of joy and thankfulness…

Wrapper: San Andreas Mexican
Binder: Ecuadorian
Filler: Nicaraguan & Dominican
Factory: El Titan de Bronze - Miami, Florida

Appearance/construction: Smooth semi-oily wrapper with a very fine toothiness and a medium brown in color. The barely apparent wrap, along with the solid triple cap, are a testament to expert construction. Average fill with minimal give on the press and rebound, with a single soft spot about 1 centimeter from the cap. There are a few very small cracks in the wrapper leaf around the band, and close to the foot. I feel these are most likely attributed to movement during transit, but I do not believe this will be a hindrance during the smoke.

Aroma Pre-Light:
Spice and cedar mostly, with a touch of hay and chocolate.

Cold draw:
I use a straight cut for the small ring gauge. The cold draw is wide open and filled with coffee and cocoa flavors with some grassy hints in top of the mouth.

Light:
No messin’ around. I use a torch lighter to toast and light the foot. It fires up quickly and appears to be an even burn from the start.

First impression:
The first half inch is full of spice and coffee flavors that settle in the back of the throat. There is a very minor sweetness on the draw and tip of the tongue, as well as some hay. If the flavors continue this should be a relatively complex smoke, which is exciting after some of the reviews I read.

Aroma Post-Light: Hay fields and cedar. Not much else making a presence in the aroma.

First Third: As I continue into the first third, the spice, coffee, and cedar are still very present. The sweet hay flavor has become slightly sweeter. It is almost a honey flavor, but not quite as pungent as a spoonful of honey. There are also some floral notes making an appearance. The burn is incredibly even and smoke production is on par. There seems to be a little flaking of the wrapper from the previously small cracks. Undoubtedly, the heat has made the cracks more apparent, but it still doesn’t seem to be interfering with the smoke at all. This stick is moving right along, with a somewhat faster than average burn speed. I’m taking my time smoking in order to prevent coning, but am steadily having to keep up with the burn. For me, this isn’t really a negative note as the stick doesn’t seem to go out, but it does continue to burrow in if left for too long. My point being, don’t assume this cigar burns like every other non-cuban, because construction-wise it IS NOT every other non-cuban.

Second Third: Moving into the second third a red pepper spice begins to take over some of the other light flavors, while still keeping a mild floral note and white pepper in the rertrohale. The ash seems tight but I have not been letting the ash get to more than an inch before easily letting it fall into the ash tray. In keeping with family dinners in my family, I happen to be wearing a nice shirt that I would rather not get ash all over! Smoke production still plentiful and this stick is still burning like a razor. It is worth noting that Warped Cigars has impeccable cuban style construction, but unfortunately I seem to have come across more damaged sticks with this brand than usual, which could be attributed to packing or shipping faults, or maybe even fault at my B&M.

The complexity seems to be average, with 2-3 flavors floating in and out of each draw and retrohale. The spiciness is slowly calming back down and leaving a caramel after taste, pairing with a dark roast coffee now very present as I move toward the end of the second third. The retrohale is still very peppery and holds a slight sweet floral note. There is also a strong cedar in the aroma of the smoke. Overall, a pleasant second third, but wishing for a little more complexity.

Final Third:Well, there it is. The complexity ramps up in the last third. The cedar, spice, coffee, and caramel is still very present. There is also a fruit flavor coming in to play with the floral notes in the front of the draw as well as the retrohale. I’m thinking… thinking…… is that orange blossom? I think so. Very faint, but in attendance. The smoke has also turned very creamy in density and mouth feel, whereas it was a little paper-like before. There is more smoke volume than in the first two thirds.

As I move close to the band in this final third, the sweet notes fade and deep earthiness and spice takes over the flavor profile, with the red and black spices moving onto the lips. There is also a dark chocolate flavor in the back of the palate and in the after taste. It reminds me of a habanero dark chocolate morsel I snacked on at the farmer’s market recently. The burn is has remained even, as expected with this level of construction.

Working on the nub, I pull the band off and a piece of the wrapper comes off as well. I suspect this has more to do with the size of the wrapper rather than the glue or materials used. It pretty damn difficult to get anything sticky on a wrapper that small. No worries, as I am nearly finished with this smoke due to the increase in heat on such a small ring gauge.

Overall Impression/Final Notes: This was a good smoke, nice and light in the first third with building flavor complexity and spice as you move through the stick and allow the heat to unlock the door to the next flavor. I am only slightly put off by the price tag, but it is short lived as I know this selection is produced in Miami, which most certainly comes with increased wages and construction costs. Not to mention, I have no problem supporting American jobs and I subscribe to the belief that money is only a small obstacle if you enjoy the product. I guess I should also note that I’m already apprehensive assigning a number rating to a cigar, so I definitely DO NOT grade my ratings based on price tag. Look at the MSRP, decide for yourself.

Also, I read that Warped cigars require significant humidor time. This was rested in the humidor for right around 80 days, and I do believe that it could use maybe 60-90 more days to really balance the flavor profile.

Smoke time: 1hr 35m
Scoring:

Appearance and Presentation: 17/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 14/15
Construction Properties: 28/30
Taste Properties: 30/35

Total:
89/100

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Solid review. Kyle makes some great stuff. I understand people not wanting to pay, but the biggest cost here is rolling them in Miami, which I don't mind since it supports our economy. Ha.
My thoughts exactly.
In all seriousness, I don't know much about Warped Cigars. Based on what you two know about these, costs aside, what would you two suggest to be the best this line has to offer? Not wanting a LE or HTF stick, just regular production. After reading all of these reviews, I'd like to try one or two...

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
In all seriousness, I don't know much about Warped Cigars. Based on what you two know about these, costs aside, what would you two suggest to be the best this line has to offer? Not wanting a LE or HTF stick, just regular production. After reading all of these reviews, I'd like to try one or two...
I've only had the El Oso but enjoyed then enough to buy a box of the mama and papa.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
They are all great in their own respects. I have had the El Oso, Flor de Valle, and La Colmena. Favorite size of each:

El Oso - Papa Belicoso
Flor Del Valle - Gran Valle
La Colmena - Amado No.44 Corona Extra

Also, if you plan on buying boxes of these, they need to be given the age they deserve. I would smoke one right away, because I cant help myself. However, I wouldnt smoke another one inside of 90 - 120 days if I could help it. Even longer would probably just make it an even better smoke.

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
They are all great in their own respects. I have had the El Oso, Flor de Valle, and La Colmena. Favorite size of each:

El Oso - Papa Belicoso
Flor Del Valle - Gran Valle
La Colmena - Amado No.44 Corona Extra

Also, if you plan on buying boxes of these, they need to be given the age they deserve. I would smoke one right away, because I cant help myself. However, I wouldnt smoke another one inside of 90 - 120 days if I could help it. Even longer would probably just make it an even better smoke.
^^^This is the information I crave.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have not smoked the entire range of vitolas yet, and I'm still waiting to fire up a FdV. Some I've had were prerelease, but I'd differ to Ryan. He did a lot of tasting for Kyle before the blends were finalized. I'll text him to chime in if he wants.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Chiming in... The best cigar Kyle makes (imho) is the Flor Del Valle Cristales. It's got the perfect balance between fruit, spice and cocoa/coffee. Next I would try hunting down the La Colmena Unico Especial or Amado 44. Both are great examples of what the line is honey, graham and goodness. There is some more stuff in the works for 2015 that will be equally exciting and tasty.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am a big fan of all the Warped stuff. I never thought about the ideal "rest" time for them, but he last Cub I had was so different from my first one with amazing vanilla characters. Big fan here!