What's new

Wasp nest on balcony (my smoking spot)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So i was grilling dinner tonight and noticed about 50 wasps in my bamboo shade on my balcony.

I am deathly allergic to those bastards. So needless to say, no smoke tonight, which pisses me off.

Anyone have a clue how to get ride of these things without getting stung and killed? The shade rolls up when not in use, and they're inside the top most rung, not sure how deep they go, but I counted 50 just chilling on the shade earlier, god knows how many may be inside.

Any suggestions on how to get ride of these bastards are welcome, I am not a man of means, but it sounds like i may have to call some sort of pest control company? This isn't an apartment complex with an office and maintenance crew, it's a condo complex with absolutely no maintenance or property management presence anywhere.

I don't want to hit the landlord up to foot the bill as he hasn't raised my rent in 3 years.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Safe probably to just call a pest control company. Could call around and get a few quotes. That or have a REALLY good friend do it for ya. You/he will almost surely be stung those bastards are mean

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's the thing, I can't get a direct shot as they're tucked inside the shade......

If I get into an actual position where i can spray them, I'll be vulnerable to 100 of these things flying right into my face!

I kind of want to hit the shade with a broomstick and book ass inside, but that will distribute them and possibly go up into my neighbors balconies....

Any idea the cost for someone to just come and remove this damn shade?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's the thing, I can't get a direct shot as they're tucked inside the shade......

If I get into an actual position where i can spray them, I'll be vulnerable to 100 of these things flying right into my face!

I kind of want to hit the shade with a broomstick and book ass inside, but that will distribute them and possibly go up into my neighbors balconies....

Any idea the cost for someone to just come and remove this damn shade?
I'd call a company then when they have open business hours. I'd say price depends on where you live and what they're getting into for removal.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you call a pest control company ask how they do it. We had a ground nest in our back yard and the way they took care of it was with some environmentally friendly poison that took 3 applications over the span of 2 months for it to work. Mowing the lawn was terrifying.

I honestly think raid should work fine. Do it early in the morning when they aren't active and have someone who isn't allergic do it. Just spray it into the crevice the wasps enter. Douse the damn thing. Should take care of it. We used to get them inside our flashing all the time and that's how we did it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sounds good, I think I'll just do that. I'll grab some raid at home depot tomorrow and hit it once that night and again the next morning. I'll probably just toss the shade as I rarely use it anyways.

Will the wasp work on yellow jackets? I am assuming they're wasps but I'm no bee expert. Pics online don't really help.

They're big ass bees though!

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Raid wasp killer. Get the one with the long stream and nuke the bastards.
And do it at night when they're least active. Or in your case, I'd suggest maybe have someone who isn't allergic and willing to help you out do it for you.
this! I used ti be allergic to em too. I got lucky and out grew it though. Got stung by a yellow jacket a few weeks ago. Was pretty worried for a bit but turned out ok. Make sure you have a friend help you out or keep am epi pen close! That spray should neutralize them real quick. I've had to do some hand to hand combat in the attic with wasp before lol

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Second vote for the Raid. They have one that will spray from 27 feet away (or some random number slightly bigger than 25 feet). I used it on a couple nests and it works great. As others have said, use it at dawn or at night. The wasps need to be "home" for it to work. And I'd second the idea of getting someone else to do it. WASP stings hurt like the dickens, but it's relatively not a big deal, but I wouldn't risk death to get rid of a nest.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Second vote for the Raid. They have one that will spray from 27 feet away (or some random number slightly bigger than 25 feet). I used it on a couple nests and it works great. As others have said, use it at dawn or at night. The wasps need to be "home" for it to work. And I'd second the idea of getting someone else to do it. WASP stings hurt like the dickens, but it's relatively not a big deal, but I wouldn't risk death to get rid of a nest.
This would bee the best advice. You really have to wasp yourself.

Last edited:

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Don't be nervous to call the landlord and have him either deal with it or foot the bill for it. Many landlords make tenants feel hesitant about calling them with issues, but part of paying rent is that the landlord deals with these sorts of issues, unless you have some sort of clause where you do all the work. In addition, you're allergic to wasps and the last thing a landlord wants is a tenant being seriously injured due to their lack of help. I doubt your rent will get raised if you have the landlord handle this matter.
If so, well, do you really want to keep renting there?
Good luck with whatever you do!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sounds good! I don't really have anyone here to help.
Will those fuckers come flying out the second i spray or can i spray two or three seconds and book it back inside?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't be nervous to call the landlord and have him either deal with it or foot the bill for it. Many landlords make tenants feel hesitant about calling them with issues, but part of paying rent is that the landlord deals with these sorts of issues, unless you have some sort of clause where you do all the work. In addition, you're allergic to wasps and the last thing a landlord wants is a tenant being seriously injured due to their lack of help. I doubt your rent will get raised if you have the landlord handle this matter.
If so, well, do you really want to keep renting there?
Good luck with whatever you do!
I called him and straight to VM so I emailed him. he just landed in mexico and gave me the number of the HOA. I seriously doubt they'll do anything but it's worth a shot...

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I called him and straight to VM so I emailed him. he just landed in mexico and gave me the number of the HOA. I seriously doubt they'll do anything but it's worth a shot...
Man, I would hound his ass until this was addressed. That's a weak response from him. You do have rights as a renter. Vent over, sorry!