What's new

Wasp nest on balcony (my smoking spot)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Man, I would hound his ass until this was addressed. That's a weak response from him. You do have rights as a renter. Vent over, sorry!
Agreed, but I gotta take it easy on the dude. The next door guy is paying 500 more per month and it's owned by the same dude. I respect the guy for not raising me up at all since I moved here.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last time I used raid it would basically paralyze them instantly. A buddy and I were helping flip a house and there was a nest. Before we got the nest we would see if we could shoot them out of the air while they flew in and out. They would drop out of the air as soon they got hit.

But I would ask a neighbor or someone from the HOA to help you out. If your very allergic, that could be a scary situation. At the very least put on jeans and a two long sleeves and tuck jeans into your boots. Wear gloves and such. Don't get stung man!

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I used raid wasp when there was a nest under my deck. This thing shoot about 20 feet. Shoot the opening of your shade, will paralyze them. Spray the shade wet and wait a while. I destroyed their nest this way and never was attacked. It was disgusting to throw away afterwards. Good luck.

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I strongly advise against doing it yourself. A good buddy's grandfather was tearing old siding off of his shed and got stung by some wasp and died. Very sad day. Wait and have someone else take care of it. If your aim is off they will swarm you like crazy.
I agree, don't do it yourself or at least have another person present with you when you spray them. Maybe wear a long vinyl raincoat for protection?

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I always use aerosol and a lighter.

But I see your predicament, you'd want a full body suit if you are allergic. Also I'd imagine bamboo would go up in flames also. If you aim it right and they are just chilling you could do it for maybe 3 seconds and not burn the bamboo. That would just burn all their wings and kill a couple but they are easier to deal with when you take away their flight.

The other thing you can do is smoke them out (again you'd need a suit ) remove the nest and when they come back there will be a lot less and they would be easier to manage.

Fire is the best solution, it's rare in life that it's the case but with those little buggers it renders them useless in seconds.

Keep us informed !

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Get some buddies dress in layers spray and take it down. You're allergic don't do it yourself just one or two rogues get you stung.

Personally I threw on motorcycle gear and a turtleneck (no bare skin) waited until night time (less active) scooped the nest (about volleyball sized) down from a top corner window sill into a hefty contractor bag and walked it over to the woods across the street.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I would totally help you if I cod man ><; I dont give a shit about wasps or getting stung a few times. If you do it buy some mosquito netting and drape it over a wide brimmed hat and tuck it likely I to your pants so your upper body is protected.

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Just a couple of thoughts I'd like to add...

Any wasp/hornet/bee killer will work. I'd suggest looking for a foaming spray that shoots at least 10' from the can. This stuff will stun them on contact and they will be dead within 30 seconds. If there is only one small entrance to the nest, I'd suggest waiting until early morning (when it's coldest as cold air makes the wasps move slower) and emptying the entire can into the entrance of the nest. If you just spray a small amount into the opening and run, you'll most likely kill a few wasps, and piss the rest of them off. On second thought, buy two or three cans of the stuff and just drench the opening to the nest and the entire shade. Wait a little while and observe... if nothing emerges for 30 min or so, you most likely got them all, but it would be a good idea to tap the shade a few times with a broom or something to check. Good luck and be sure to video this on your phone and post it up here!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Raid wasp killer. Get the one with the long stream and nuke the bastards.
this.
this is my go-to spray for ANY type of bug...Raid Wasp and Hornet.
this stuff is POTENT. I sprayed down a mean looking spider on some steps (it died instantly). for the next few months, i was seeing dead bugs that happened to crawl over the spot that i sprayed. i guess the rain doesnt get rid of it easily.
Spray at night when they are least active. you can spray from 20+ feet. make sure you spray (ie DRENCH) the nest, especially the opening. when they try to exit the nest, this stuff will get on them and you will have a pile of dead hornets under the nest.

when you buy this stuff, make sure you grab a few extra cans... keep them handy. if possible, wear some type of protective eye wear (just a general precation). and yes... if you get spooked, run like hell and check status from inside the house!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good stuff thanks everyone.

Went and got some of that raid today. Came home and took a look (waiting till night) and I don't see any bees flying around.... It was like 5:30 when I looked, around same time as yesterday. Could they really be dormant right now?

I can hit the shade with the broom handle while still inside and close the door, think I should do that to see if any one is home? Not sure I even need to spray now.

Why would like 50 of them congregate to one spot then just not re appear? I can't see inside the shade so I have no clue if there is a nest in there..

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Someone could probably send a "bomb" that would take care of them. Just reply with your addy and I'm sure someone will help you out.

Seriously though, I've seen them go dormant, especially if the temp has dropped since you saw them last. i would spray it anyway.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
This has worked for me in the past. Get your grill and put it right below those guys. (Just enough away from the home to not cause damage)

If you can connect a pipe to the exhaust and put it right underneath the nest, even better

Load that grill up with plenty of hardwood, charcoal, and things that will burn long and smoke well.

Make sure a water hose is nearby, just in case.

Close all your windows -tell your neighbors to do the same, else they may never forgive you.

Light er up!

Leave the lower vents of the grill completely open to get all the air to burn as it can.

Leave it for several hours.

Since you are allergic you may want to have a friend do the lighting, just in case, and stick around for several hours in case emergency use of the hose is necessary.

They won't be able to breathe in there and they will leave. After they're gone, spray it with Raid. For any half dying ones that refuse to leave.

After the smoke has cleared and the spray has been done, get rid of the nest.

Best of luck.